Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Mate I don't believe in any god. Doesn't mean I have to walk around telling everyone how much smarter I am than them for it. Just look at what you wrote and tell me you don't sound like an arse.
    Well I'm sorry, but I get that all the time. "Oh you're an atheist, you must worship Dawkins" as if atheism is some conspiracy or something.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Well I'm sorry, but I get that all the time. "Oh you're an atheist, you must worship Dawkins" as if atheism is some conspiracy or something.
    Well making a big point about not believing in something is silly, that's why people make fun of you

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Why not both?
    well, it didn't help that at the same time I was diving into TJ's work I was roommates with a few born again evangelicals. the kind that protested Mardi Gras while completely missing the point of the holiday... and they bragged about it, they had a video they played whenever they had friends come over. it was wild on a disturbing level.

Well making a big point about not believing in something is silly, that's why people make fun of you
    Yeah its almost like a lot of us say that because a lot of us are in the US where we've historically been an insanely religious country, plastered literally everywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Yeah its almost like a lot of us say that because a lot of us are in the US where we've historically been an insanely religious country, plastered literally everywhere.
    The UK has you beat there pal

Is just a guy who expresses his opinion, and does not sugarcoat things. If you agree with him, he is generally entertaining, if you don't, you hate him.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mate I don't believe in any god. Doesn't mean I have to walk around telling everyone how much smarter I am than them for it. Just look at what you wrote and tell me you don't sound like an arse.
    frankly, he's right, you're wrong. You came out a little bit condescending, i'm sorry to say. Look at what you wrote. We (atheists) don't worship fellow human being. We value their input, use our critical thinking to the best of our ability (which may be flawed, i'd give you that) and decide to agree, disagree or more often than not, a bit of both.

Regardless, i am so glad of this powerful tool that is internet (and youtube). I didn't have that when i was growing up. There is so much knowledge at your finger tip. Today's youth have the power of information through high speed internet. News, science, culture, opinion pieces are disseminated at the speed of light, it's both amazing and so useful.

It does not surprise me that more and more people question and challenge the teaching of scripture, the tradition of their parents and community, call out the bullshit when they see it. I think it's a good think, and i'm glad to see it happening.

One may not like TJ's style or vocabulary, but to say it's contribution is meaningless is wrong. We need more like him, and their are multiplying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    frankly, he's right, you're wrong. You came out a little bit condescending, i'm sorry to say. Look at what you wrote. We (atheists) don't worship fellow human being. We value their input, use our critical thinking to the best of our ability (which may be flawed, i'd give you that) and decide to agree, disagree or more often than not, a bit of both.

Regardless, i am so glad of this powerful tool that is internet (and youtube). I didn't have that when i was growing up. There is so much knowledge at your finger tip. Today's youth have the power of information through high speed internet. News, science, culture, opinion pieces are disseminated at the speed of light, it's both amazing and so useful.

It does not surprise me that more and more people question and challenge the teaching of scripture, the tradition of their parents and community, call out the bullshit when they see it. I think it's a good think, and i'm glad to see it happening.

One may not like TJ's style or vocabulary, but to say it's contribution is meaningless is wrong. We need more like him, and their are multiplying.
    I trust the words of scientists on peer-reviewed facts and base my opinions on those. Not on the ramblings of some youtube personality.

Talking heads are talking heads no matter how you swing it. You just happened to find one you like to hear babbling on.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post

Case in point really. You say Atheists are critical thinkers, implying religious people aren't. Misguided belief in your own intellectual superiority.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I trust the words of scientists on peer-reviewed facts and base my opinions on those. Not on the ramblings of some youtube personality.

Talking heads are talking heads no matter how you swing it. You just happened to find one you like to hear babbling on.
    I'm pretty sure nobody has said that they take what a youtuber says here as literal fact. The farthest anybody went was saying their videos about a 100% subjective topic (religion) helped them realize they were an atheist.

At best Youtube is an entertaining dumpster fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    ive always considered his vocabulary pretty impressive. its way gooder than mine thats for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    well, it didn't help that at the same time I was diving into TJ's work I was roommates with a few born again evangelicals. the kind that protested Mardi Gras while completely missing the point of the holiday... and they bragged about it, they had a video they played whenever they had friends come over. it was wild on a disturbing level.
    Same reason I can't stand Jim Morrison and The Doors, I get ya
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Trump never said he wanted to go and kill the wives and children of terrorists, which the speaker is inferring. He was saying if the family members of a terrorist had knowledge of what they were planning and didn't contact the authorities that they would be prosecuted under the law. Examples are San Bernardino and Pulse Night Club. Not sure how the guy was so far off on that one. Obviously not the brightest guy on Youtube. He was right that Obama has actually done that stuff though, so maybe that also makes him not the dumbest guy on Youtube?
    Last edited by Speaker; 2017-06-22 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    TJ definitely isn't alt right, in fact he's not even remotely conservative. Watching him through the election he was and still is a staunch Bernie Sanders supporter and he's certainly called out the right much more than Sargon of Akkad or any other "self-proclaimed" anti-SJW with a sizable YouTube following.
    That's why I said he's orbiting around Planet Shitlord.

Sargon is a resident of Planet Shitlord.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

so do i, but what's your point. The idea of reading an editorial, or listening to an opinion VLOG is not (usually) to explain scientific concept but to give their opinion on thing, perhaps to challenge your conception of the world.

I am not saying i am swallowing everything being said with an ounce of critical thinking. I am saying that hearing them stimulate my thinking, sometime confirming my position, sometimes changing it, sometimes opening the door to deeper discussion. And i don't only listen to the one i agree with. I have you know that i also listen to christian and muslim argument video, though i have yet to find a sensible one.

Scientific publication from peer review journal, i have read several thousand since i am a chemist and that's my job, they don't talk about god or society (at least the one i read), they are there to communicate the work and results of a research group on a specific topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    I'm pretty sure nobody has said that they take what a youtuber says here as literal fact. The farthest anybody went was saying their videos about a 100% subjective topic (religion) helped them realize they were an atheist.

At best Youtube is an entertaining dumpster fire.
    I watch youtube series where people play video games and occasionally get hilariously angry at them.

That people watch youtube and derive religious opinions from the ramblings of some random neckbeard is... well, concerning.

I find that about as reasonable as someone "coming to religion" after listening to Bill O'reilly.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Case in point really. You say Atheists are critical thinkers, implying religious people aren't. Misguided belief in your own intellectual superiority.
    Unfortunately people like AA prove that not all atheists are critical thinkers, yes.

Goes for pretty much the entire "rationalist" clique on Youtube really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Same reason I can't stand Jim Morrison and The Doors, I get ya
    You don't like the doors?

Now THAT'S heresy.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    hum

i re-read what i wrote, it's true that i say that we try to apply (to the best of our ability) critical thinking, but i never said anywhere that religious people don't.

Perhaps you think i implied it, but i would argue that you're puting word in my mouth, so to speak. I never wrote it. i think you might be applying the same bias you have.

I do think religious apply (to the best of their ability) critical thinking. I just think they are blocking some aspect of it to make sense of religion. And before you jump on me, i am well aware that i may be victim of the same blocage, the same tunnel vision if you will, that why i am working hard to open my mind.

And that's exactly why i listen to vlog people on youtube, to stimulate my thinking, to open my mind. Of course, opening your mind is not synonymous to complete credulity. I dismiss claimed and argument that i judge (again within my ability) invalid or fallacious.

But what is the case that you are trying to prove? My original post was that i am glad for the internet and the wealth of information available and think people like TJ are useful to the discussion. Am i wrong to think that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Why link political videos in a thread about an "amazing atheist"?
    Because ranting about politics gets more views than talking about bananas and year 5 science topics