Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    its all about location. The area I live in is incredibly poor, there are few high paying jobs period. The majority of them require a good deal of experience. What few that don't require connections that are difficult if not impossible to obtain. Worker rights are none-existent and its a at-will employment so I could lose my job at any moment (as people above me have, for little or no reason). I'm working my way up from my starting position from call center agents, to call center supervisor, to know call center education, but the pay is still laughably low for the amount of work they expect.

All I can do is move, but I have family I need to take care of so I'm SOL. Even if I pursued further education above my BA, it wouldn't help in this location.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I agree absolutely 100%, I feel it's a extreme disservice that many universities over sell bullshit worthless degrees. Sorry kiddo, but that degree in theatre arts isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

If I remember correctly, there is a major lawsuit going on in several states against universities for dishonest business practices for this very reason.
    Good, there should be. It's absolutely dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    That's most of his posts.

ah sthap, you're gonna make me blush.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I love this...

"I just tell people I was in the military and jobs get thrown at me!"
    "Everyone else is just a lazy piece of shit liberal!"

Most employers value veterans who have years of job experience, especially combat veterans who are reliable and resourceful, over straight out of school kids.

sorry that's life.

Not everyone else is a liberal piece of shit, hell I don't even have a problem with liberals, I have a issue with leftists.

Most employers value veterans who have years of job experience, especially combat veterans who are reliable and resourceful, over straight out of school kids.

sorry that's life.

Not everyone else is a liberal piece of shit, hell I don't even have a problem with liberals, I have a issue with leftists.
    Two of the employee's where I work are veterans. One is a mean spirited piece of shit who encourages fights between employees, lies constantly behind peoples backs, and likes to hide away to avoid doing work for long periods. She stays on currently because she's friends with the boss and abuses the hell out of it, though said boss is also getting tired of it. She tends to be my first hurdle with new classes as she is exceptionally mean to everyone and tries to get dirt on new employees.

Another tends to miss a great deal of work, more than most. She got away with it for a long time due to the above mentioned person, who was a supervisor, not reporting it as she was supposed to. She is also the first to play the victim when anyone calls her out for what she does, and is always looking for new handouts.

They may not be the two worst employee's we have, but they are close. Being a veteran seems to, if anything, instill a sense of undeserved entitlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Two of the employee's where I work are veterans. One is a mean spirited piece of shit who encourages fights between employees, lies constantly behind peoples backs, and likes to hide away to avoid doing work for long periods. She stays on currently because she's friends with the boss and abuses the hell out of it, though said boss is also getting tired of it. She tends to be my first hurdle with new classes as she is exceptionally mean to everyone and tries to get dirt on new employees.

Another tends to miss a great deal of work, more than most. She got away with it for a long time due to the above mentioned person, who was a supervisor, not reporting it as she was supposed to. She is also the first to play the victim when anyone calls her out for what she does, and is always looking for new handouts.

They may not be the two worst employee's we have, but they are close. Being a veteran seems to, if anything, instill a sense of undeserved entitlement.
    experiences may vary.

The vets I work with are phenomenal, reliable, and as I said resourceful.

Of course I hired them, so I got to be picky.

experiences may vary.

The vets I work with are phenomenal, reliable, and as I said resourceful.

Of course I hired them, so I got to be picky.
    True.

Same as with none-vets. There are good and bad, being a veteran does not put you on a pedestal above others. That's called entitlement.

Technically I got a job paying above minimum wage. At Walmart.

I got 3/4 of the way through a Computer Science degree and ran out of money. Managed to get a General Studies degree after filing an appeal. Turns out nobody wants 3/4 of a computer scientist.

I've got a different job now with better pay but shit hours (and by shit, I mean part-time and only 5 months a year) leaving me well under the poverty line. Pretty much anything better would require me to move, but after watching my mom die a few years back (while I was in college), I'm not eager to leave the only family I still give a crap about. So I'm stuck for now.

Part of the problem is that, at least from an American standpoint, kids are fed this ridiculous lie while they're growing up that they can...

...be anything they want to be...

But at no point does anyone tell them the most relevant point to consider about what field they're heading into:

Not everyone can be a doctor, a lawyer, an actor, a physicist, an engineer, or whatever they want to be. Someone needs to be the janitor. Someone needs to be the fry cook. Someone needs to be the one to do the jobs other people either won't do or can't do. We all can't be successful. Some have to lose so others can win. It's a very sad but very real truth that no one really wants to accept, because by accepting that truth, we have to accept that we likely will not be successful in life.

Someone has to be the one that serves as the step for someone else to rise. We may not like it, but that's the way things are. As long as we are dependent on money, you will always be subservient to someone. Even the most filthy rich person must submit to the reality that the only reason they are wealthy is because someone pays for them to be there. Just as the bag boy depends on you to cover his paycheck by shopping at the store he works at, you're dependent on your source of income to survive so you can put money into the business he works for.

This doesn't mean we should not strive to ascend beyond our individual status in life; we should always strive to improve in whatever way we can, but in today's very idealistically driven world, too many people are experiencing this because they are simply not being realistic about the direction they're heading.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoWolf View Post
    But at no point does anyone tell them the most relevant point to consider about what field they're heading into:

Not everyone can be a doctor, a lawyer, an actor, a physicist, an engineer, or whatever they want to be. Someone needs to be the janitor. Someone needs to be the fry cook. Someone needs to be the one to do the jobs other people either won't do or can't do. We all can't be successful. Some have to lose so others can win. It's a very sad but very real truth that no one really wants to accept, because by accepting that truth, we have to accept that we likely will not be successful in life.
    I think we can start by not glamorizing certain professions (many/most attorneys are unhappy with their profession, for one, and being a physician is extremely taxing in numerous ways). And we can value people for their work, no matter their profession. There's no need for us to snub our nose at the janitor; like you said, someone needs to do it. There should be no shame in working a given job.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    True.

Same as with none-vets. There are good and bad, being a veteran does not put you on a pedestal above others. That's called entitlement.
    Thats not called entitlement lol.

thats called pride, or to an extreme, arrogance.

well thankfully my major for getting high and editing videos was obtainable in community college. so thankfully no student loan debt to worry about combined with the fact that at my current work they pay me above min wage and they've given me pay raises.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantasmagoriaX View Post
    Fix/build computers.

A+ Certification with networking.
    It wasnt Google that killed that, it was XP.....

- - - Updated - - -

If you got a worthless degree, didn't network, and didn't work at all between the time you were 16 and the time you graduate, yes there is a good chance you will work a minimum wage job.

- - - Updated - - -

This exactly.

I live in Phoenix AZ, there are literally hundreds of unfilled jobs at the company I work at that start at 18.00 a hour, can't find decent/enough workers to fill the positions.
    There's the issue right there, most people dont like to melt!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I love this...

"I just tell people I was in the military and jobs get thrown at me!"
    "Everyone else is just a lazy piece of shit liberal!"

I always hire the Vet, they generally make better coworkers, unless they were Air Force.....

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    That's a bullshit statement. It isn't that people are getting shit degrees, it's that degrees hardly matter anymore. The job market is oversaturated.
    It is that people are getting shit degrees. If you graduate from anything even remotely useful, like medicine or engineering, employers basically fight for you. There is exactly zero chance that a competent engineer or a doctor will be without a job for more than a day. And that is true for other fields too.

If you decide to get a college degree in art history or something like that, be prepared to spend at least a decade working at McDonalds paying your 100k debt for the degree, all while complaining that the economy sucks.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2017-06-23 at 07:18 AM.

Thats not called entitlement lol.

thats called pride, or to an extreme, arrogance.
    So, someone puts the work and effort into getting a degree and then believe they deserve a job, even if in an unrelated field, thats entitlement.

But someone puts the work and effort into going through the military and then believe they deserve a job, even if in an unrelated field, and thats not entitlement?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    It is that people are getting shit degrees. If you graduate from anything even remotely useful, like medicine or engineering, employers basically fight for you. There is exactly zero chance that a competent engineer or a doctor will be without a job for more than a day. And that is true for other fields too.

If you decide to get a college degree in art history or something like that, be prepared to spend at least a decade working at McDonalds paying your 100k debt for the degree, all while complaining that the economy sucks.
    In two different states (MA and LA) I've had coworkers who had bachelors degrees in mathematics. A degree which is supposed to open doors. And both were making nor far above minimum wage.

They were both highly intelligent and fairly driven. The issue was location. Much like me they had family obligations that kept them from moving and local businesses, which are the primary job makers in the area, simply refuse to pay even living wages. Likewise the larger chain businesses being located in smaller areas were being led by incompetents who only hire who they knew.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Surprise! Lesbian dance theory doesn't pay well.

Quote Originally Posted by ezgeze View Post
    Surprise! Lesbian dance theory doesn't pay well.
    https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...s-report-shows

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

ok, where did "lesbian dance theory" come from, I know the people using it aren't clever enough to come up with it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    ok, where did "lesbian dance theory" come from, I know the people using it aren't clever enough to come up with it themselves.
    https://denison.edu/academics/queer-...e-requirements