Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Its 1 step up from Warlords and that aint sayin much,

Make procs max 5 ilvl and it's good. Currently it's just stupid.

Deleted
    No, rewards being entirely based on luck is simply poor design. Hard work, dedication and skill should always triumph. Such is not the case right now

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the volume (that you can get it from anything), but the RNG with WF/TF and legendaries isn't so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Yes. For casual player it's perfect, for mythic raiders it needs some tweaks - titanforge should stop at current heroic raid loot, we should be able to target next legendary (or at least first one).
    As a casual player/altoholic, I agree.

No, the current gear system is too prolifigate and inflated. It rewards RNG too much.

TBC probably had the best gearing system, followed closely by LK. Low iLevel spread, gear didn't have generic stats, items had interesting procs.

I understand why items having interesting procs went away, in most cases (it made some items so heads-and-shoulders better as to not be tunable).

Here's what i'd do:

> Go back to item rarity having some affect on stat spread, not just Item Level. (Blue items have more stats than green items, purps have more stats than blues, et al). This will be relevant below.

> Crafted gear should be viable. Viable should mean "not useless in Normal Raids". Legion has done this to some extent, but in a really boring and non-useful way. More on this a bit later.

> Cut Heroic Raids.. or Mythic, whatever. Reduce Raiding to 2 difficulties (see the next point).

> Cut LFR -OR- rejigger LFR to a 5-man experience. It would not be too hard to tune the trash packs at all, and the bosses, while it might take some extra time, would be better in the long run. My personal leaning is to keep LFR as a 5-man experience, tuned to be a step up from (basic) Heroic Dungeons. About as difficult as a Mythic 5ish, currently. This allows people that want to see the story to do so. They still keep a weekly lockout.

> Vastly reduce the iLevel spread between raid difficulties to reduce Mudflation (look that term up if you dont know what it means). Say, 15 iLevels between the two difficulties. Each difficulty will also have triggerable "alternate"/Hard Mode versions of boss encounters, like Ulduar. This mode means the item automatically Warforge/Titanforges (and stop having two different terms for this - just pick one). So, at worst, its 5 iLevels higher than it would have been, but you have a chance to roll up to the same base iLevel as the next difficulty. (So on Normal "Hard" encounters, you have a small chance to get an item that is the same iLevel as Heroic/Mythic non-Hard; Should be fairly uncommon to get the full 15-iLevel jump).

> Vastly reduce the iLevel spread between raid tiers to reduce Mudflation. No more than 20 iLevels between one tier and the next for the same difficulty.

> Sockets should not be RNG. They should either 1) always exist on certain slots or 2) have a chance to roll on certain slots and JCs can make an item to add one to any viable slot. I'd simply go with 1. Say... Rings, Neck, Head, Hands. And, when you have your hands and head gemmed, they should be visible (at least on new items going forward). Bring back .. if not "meta" gems - one slot where gems have a cool proc - like enchants have now. Allow more customization for gems. Split gems should come back (stat/secondary, and seconday/secondary).

> Enchants, similarly, should be limited to 5 slots. Overlap between gems and enchants is fine, but i'd say at least two slots should be unique to each. For enchants, id be rings/hands/cloak/weapon. "Cool Affects/Procs" should be on the hands or weapon (but only one slot). Diversity among enchants should come back. (Not just secondaries and mainstats, some combos, etc).

> Heroic Dungeons should drop blues. Blues will have less stats (doesn't have to be gigantically less), but not because they are lower iLevel, but because they are blues. Heroic Dungeons should be difficult (around what a Mythic 1 currently is). The Current Mythic+ system should just be "Heroic+". As you go up, the iLevel increases, until about.. +10. At +10, they convert to Epic quality (and therefore gain more stats from that) and continue to go up slightly (could be single digits per difficulty) Doesn't have to be level 10, that's just a number here. FIgure this out during tuning. At around Heroic +3-5, they drop the same iLevel gear as Normal Raids (but with slightly lower stats due to being blues). At Heroic 10ish (or wherever they turn epic) they should drop the iLevel from the Normal "Hard mode" bosses).

> Outside of Raids, Titan/Warforging (again, just pick one name) can only add 5 iLevels.

> LFR-5mans (Story Mode Raids) Should drop gear the same as a Heroic Dungeon - but epic (so slightly better stats). Increased chance for the +5 Warforge from these encounters (due to the weekly lockout). These raids SHARE a loot lockout with the two real raid difficulties. (this way you dont get "real" raiders farming these for crafting items).

So it would end up looking something like this (using made up iLevel numbers for ease):

Normal Dungeons: iLevel 1010 Blues

Heroic Dungeon: iLevel 1020 Blues

Heroic + Dungeons - add 1 iLevel per +, become epic at +10

Story Mode Raids (5man, old LFR): iLevel 1020 Epics (higher chance to Warforge +5).

Normal Mode Raid: iLevel 1030 Epics

Normal Mode Raid "Hard" Encounters: iLevel 1035 (base) to 1045 Epics

Heroic/Mythic Mode Raid: iLevel 1045 Epics

Heroic/Mythic Mode Raid "Hard" Encounters - 1050-1060 Epics.

Stepping up to the next raid tier, you make some TBC/LK style adjustments:

Normal and Heroic Dungeons remain unchanged.

WQ items get a tuneup (based on your iLevel - if you're heroic geared, theyll drop items of the right iLevel) to being good enough to do a "launch" Heroic +5; Heroic+'s get retuned so that the +6 is now the base +1, and items re-scale to the new raid (or, potentially, if you're high enough iLevel you can just grab a +6 key for free and go; that may work better).

Crafted Items get a tuneup - but not base, and not something as simple as the current Oblit system. You need an item that drops from Story Mode 5man or Raids (that is sellable) to upgrade your crafted gear. Maybe even transforms it into a new item. Perhaps more than one of said item, or several different items. Crafting, in general, should require more reagents/item.

Heroic + Dungeons now drop currency that can buy you some pieces of normal mode raid gear, or, if that would drop to many, a daily quest to get a few of the currency, like LK's later patches, where your first Heroic of the day got you one Icecrown level badge. Very similar to how LKs catch-up vendor worked. You could get a decent amount of them in your weekly cache based on how high you went up the Heroic + ladder.

New Dungeons can have their base Heroic iLevel tuned to be comparable to the new raid tier they launched with.

So:

The Tier 2 Raid "Story" (5-man) Mode will drop iLevel 1040.

The Tier 2 Raid "Normal" Mode will be iLevel 1050 ("Hard" encounters can WF 5-15 iLevels)

The Tier 2 Raid "Mythic" Mode will be iLevel 1065 ("Hard encounters can WF 5-15 iLevels)

Heroic + Dungeons will drop "Normal" mode raid gear starting at around +15 (this may have to be rejiggered because im not sure if that kind of fine-tuning is possible, to make them only slightly more difficult per +).

Crafted gear will continue to be normal-mode raid Viable (maybe 5 iLevels lower or the same iLevel).

I'll admit that the math on Heroic+ dungeons may need to be better to work out in a 3-raid-tier-per-expac system. This was just a back-of-the-napkin quick writeup. The goal is to keep Heroic+ dungeons as a viable path to (with some dedication) getting Normal-mode Raid gear or (if you're really good) even keeping up with Mythic raiding.

For PvP - no more of this template nonsense. It's been a complete failure. Go back to WoD's gearing system for PvP (where PvP gear is a lower iLevel in PvE, and higher/the same as Normal/Mythic (Honor/Conquest) in PvP and scales on the fly. If Blizz wants to maintain the stat constraints of the template system - that's easily accomplished by only releasing one or two pieces of gear per slots to prevent stat-stacking if thats what they really want to do.

Back to PvP currency systems.

Just a rough outline.

But no, i think the current gearing system sorta sucks.

Deleted
    Gearing is absolutely boring in Legion, i hate the RNG that goes into gear pieces i just find it terrible.

Its probably some of the worse gearing i've ever seen. I miss when I know an item would be an upgrade, feeling that accomplishment when finally getting the item I was trying so hard to get. Now it's just pure frustration that it didn't titanforge 14 times to make it competitive. This system is horrid. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by iluwen_de View Post
    Not good. Too much RNG on top of RNG.
    Agreed. Too much RNG. It was much better when valor tokens could be earned and you could buy exactly the piece you want.

no

too much welfare gear for new people and alts

The legendary system can be thrown in a fire. Everything else I don't have a problem in.

Yes! I love having BiS items in old raids if they superforge. I love not getting upgrades from week 1 of new mythic raiding because it's not titanforged better than my old gear. I love having to do instances multiple times a week on different difficulties praying for a superforge. This is clearly better than the old days where new raids were full of new upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilaw View Post
    Make procs max 5 ilvl and it's good. Currently it's just stupid.
    I pretty much agree, except I'd say 10ilvl limit. Cap the TF and the loot system is awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like BC and WoTLK gearing better and do not like at all how PvP is done now. The PvP gearing system is why i no longer play WoW maybe in next X-Pack if it goes back to the way it was I might come back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know more people would rather complain about how gear is obtained, but obtaining gear means nothing if wearing the gear is shallow to begin with.

Gearing has been shit since Cata released. Everything has generic stats. Every spec has generic stat requirements that don't change because all specs only have one intended playstyle. Some specs are even completely nonviable with wrong secondary stats (ie Arms, Shadow).

Mastery is the worst thing to happen to the game and many specs don't even rely on it. It's so unbelievably fucking boring and adds no gameplay value that isn't inherently arbitrary and lacking kit synergy.

Even with MoP Challenge modes post-merger devs have no idea how to design and balance player abilities. They don't even have a rudimentary budget system for abilities and don't consider gear synergy with abilities leading to some classes relying completely on abusing a trinket. They constantly tweak player abilities without compensation which usually leads to leveling or undergeared content being unnecessarily difficult or completely trivial.

And now they balance specs around RNG legendaries? So you're playing an unfinished class/spec until RNG graces you with the legendary or your 4-pc tier that allows you to play the spec as intended?

7.3 better have some major class/spec overhauls or more devs better get thrown off the team. If Diablo 3 devs thought their legendary system is any reason to why RoS was successful over launch D3 they better wake up from la-la-land.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiren View Post
    With all that things like random ilvls, legendaries, set bonuses, relic bonuses, trinket bonuses I'm not sure what gear should I wear in this expansion. I don't mind switching some talents or 1-2 items for encounters, but now each item change is so complicated.. I don't want the game to be easy at all, but also I don't want to be dependant on so many addons and external sites and apps... I just want to enjoy the game instead of running Simcraft and searching forums all the time trying to figure out which piece of gear gives me more power, not to mention how time consuming that is. Currently each item drop feels almost like punishment to me since I need to do all this stuff.
    Also Blizzard said they want ilvl to (almost) clearly determine the best items for us, but everything they made is against that rule.

I expect people to say "You don't need to do this if you don't want to". Right, but you know, I love raiding and for that we need to keep trying to improve all the time.

Anyway, do you agree that gearing became too much complicated in Legion or do you like that system?
    system is almost perfect

current loot system is garbage but not because of rng or anything - its garbage because blizzard made crafting gear garbage and removed badge/vp gear - making life of casuals hell- if they brought it back system would be more then perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream101 View Post
    I like BC and WoTLK gearing better and do not like at all how PvP is done now. The PvP gearing system is why i no longer play WoW maybe in next X-Pack if it goes back to the way it was I might come back.
    aww cant pvn nobs without full conquest gear ? what a shame

pvp system is better then ever because what counts is skills not being in full conquest gear and depending fully on overgearing the f... out of competition

Titanforged garbage really has to stop. When someone loots a mythic quality item with a "Raid Finder" tag on it, it's just super sad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Getting better versions of the same mythic items I have out of LFR or normal is kind of silly too. We had 2 925 whispers in the dark in our raid before we got past the 3/10 mythic hurdle, that is pretty stupid.
    Question is, did they help you get past that hurdle? If they didn't drop, would you have passed it when you did? If they did help, what's so bad about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    Question is, did they help you get past that hurdle? If they didn't drop, would you have passed it when you did? If they did help, what's so bad about it?
    That is impossible to know. Looking at it from your point of view it means that things are balanced for people having inflated item levels then just that dungeon/raid gives. It also means you end up grinding older content for the hopes of upgrades as the gear treadmill is given multiple levels.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

imagine a world where titanforge and warforge was capped to +10 ilvl.