10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Countdown : Only 8 days till Canada 150

Today's featured place of interest is the beautiful city of Vancouver!

Vancouver, a bustling west coast seaport in British Columbia, is among Canada’s densest, most ethnically diverse cities. A popular filming location, it’s surrounded by mountains, and also has thriving art, theatre and music scenes. Vancouver Art Gallery is known for its works by regional artists, while the Museum of Anthropology houses preeminent First Nations collections.
    I haven't been recently but I do plan on taking a trip very soon. What is particular awesome about Vancouver is how green it is. An outdoor lifestyle is encouraged there which is certainly great given the obesity crisis.

Furthermore, given its proximity to Asia you can find many great restaurants from this region.

No doubt about it. Very few cities have such green space on its doorstep.

So what do you think? Have you been to Vancouver? Do you plan to visit soon?
    @Forgettable @Tyrianth @renndrel
    Last edited by Tennis; 2017-06-23 at 07:57 AM.

Singapore looks better.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way the first picture is taken makes Vancouver look small, but I do agree the surrounding area is beautiful.
    Last edited by GhostPanini; 2017-06-23 at 04:46 AM. Reason: forgot a word

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Today's featured place of interest is the beautiful city of Vancouver!

I haven't been recently but I do plan on taking a trip very soon. What is particular awesome about Vancouver is how green it is. An outdoor lifestyle is encouraged there which is certainly great given the obesity crisis.

Furthermore, given its proximity to Asia you can find many great restaurants from this region.

No doubt about it. Very few cities have such green space on its doorstep.

So what do you think? Have you been to Vancouver? Do you plan to visit soon?
    ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i live by Toronto. No, I don't plan on traveling to Vancouver for the 150, I'd rather make an Algonquin trip, much closer and more green.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacu View Post
    ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i live by Toronto. No, I don't plan on traveling to Vancouver for the 150, I'd rather make an Algonquin trip, much closer and more green.
    Oh well there are 7 more to go. I don't plan on traveling to Vancouver for the 150 either but it's still good to highlight it for the folks on here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont forget Vancouver BC is one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in, and it is not the oldest city in the region named Vancouver.

It had great nightlife when I was under 21 though.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's already a thread on day 8: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ill-Canada-150
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Why does Tennis refuse to address the valid concerns of Canada's First Nations in regards to the 150th?

For shame!

Canada 150 is a celebration of Indigenous genocide

https://nowtoronto.com/news/canada-s...nous-genocide/

For many Indigenous peoples on Turtle Island (North America), it's difficult to imagine Prime Minister Justin Trudeau – who has said that "no relationship is more important to Canada than the one with Indigenous peoples" – celebrating the last 150 years of brutal colonization and the foundation of what is now known as Canada.

This year, the federal government plans to spend half a billion dollars on events marking Canada's 150th anniversary. Meanwhile, essential social services for First Nations people to alleviate crisis-level socio-economic conditions go chronically underfunded. Not only is Canada refusing to share the bounty of its own piracy; it's using that same bounty to celebrate its good fortune. Arguably, every firework, hot dog and piece of birthday cake in Canada's 150th celebration will be paid for by the genocide of Indigenous peoples and cultures.

Many places are struggling with the nation's genocidal origins.

150th anniversary lays bare anger of indigenous Canadians not invited to first party

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada-...rst-party.html

For indigenous people in Canada, the 150th anniversary — or sesquicentennial — of Confederation is little cause for celebration.

First off, for peoples who’ve been on this land for millennia, 150 years isn’t much more than a long weekend in the scheme of things. Second, they weren’t invited to the bash in the first place back in 1867. Third, and most important, Confederation was less about beginnings for First Nations than it was their intended death knell.

WHY I WON’T BE ATTENDING CANADA’S 150TH BIRTHDAY PARTY

http://www.cbc.ca/firsthand/blog/why...birthday-party

I won’t be attending Canada’s 150th birthday party.

What are we celebrating exactly?

I’m actually kinda offended anyone would attend the birthday party. Celebrating Canada’s 150th birthday without taking a moment to reflect on the fact that it has been an overwhelmingly violent 150 years for Indigenous peoples in Canada isn’t just insensitive, it’s offensive.

Let’s slow things down a bit and say: Canadians love Canada, a lot. Canadians love Canada so much that the title of this essay will make some not even bother to read it. Some will call me anti-Canadian. Some will leave comments about the CBC running “Indian Propaganda” against its citizens. In 2014, when I recorded my last comedy special Red Man Laughing for CBC, there were death threats left on the Edmonton Journal website when they ran a story of our sold out first night. This is the Canada I know well in the context of my work.

Canada 150: For First Nations, no reason to celebrate

http://www.timescolonist.com/life/ca...ate-1.20599060

This land had already been home for thousands of years; 1867 only marks beginning of an abusive relationship.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Dont forget Vancouver BC is one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in, and it is not the oldest city in the region named Vancouver.

It had great nightlife when I was under 21 though.
    It is quite pricey. However in terms of just visiting it is worth the time. I've seen well traveled people describe it as their favourite city that they've been to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I've seen well traveled people describe it as their favourite city that they've been to.
    I'm very well traveled, and while I like Vancouver, it's not the top of my list.

Also, why do you refuse to address the links I keep (and will continue to keep) putting up about how the First Nations feel about the 150th?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    I'm very well traveled, and while I like Vancouver, it's not the top of my list.

Also, why do you refuse to address the links I keep (and will continue to keep) putting up about how the First Nations feel about the 150th?
    I agree mostly with those links so really, what is there to say. Thanks for reminding us of the efforts we must make towards reconciliation.

Canada, like Sweden, just worse.

I bet tomorrow's landmark is the Trans Canada Railway.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    As mentioned, there is already a thread on this here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ill-Canada-150