Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think we'd be doomed. If they don't kill us all, Earth would turn into a human slave planet. If they have the technology to travel to different planets and we're barely able to get a small robot on Mars then we don't stand a chance. Think of the weapons they might have if they even need weapons. Maybe their weapons are implanted in them, I don't know. In the movies they always show the humans winning in the end but in real life I don't think it will have the same outcome.

This is all assuming that they will be malevolent beings. Hopefully they're not and they come here to help us. Although I don't know why any alien race would want to help a species that can't even find a way to live together peacefully. A species that values green paper over human lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    We should salt the Earth using nukes, if we can't have it then some bellends from Proxima Centauri certainly can't
    Unless that's what they want because radiation is a source of nutrition...

Why does anyone imagine that they'd have human qualities and limitations?

We never saw the aliens from "The Abyss" but they lived in the deepest parts on the bottom of the ocean. They were ultimately benevolent, but observed humanity for years and knew that in order to live with them they needed to demonstrate their power. In the book, they did it in two ways, one subtle (for the humans that they were interacting with), and one blatant; The subtle showed when they brought the humans from the depths of the sea almost instantly to the surface. (No "bends," which means total control over atmospheric pressure. The aliens knew how fragile humans were in that regard). The blatant show; a mile high tidal wave suspended over NYC, and then it sank without a ripple.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    How do you build a spaceship, travel..what..hundreds? thousands? of lightyears and be idiots?

What kind of weapons do you need to have to completely annihilate a world with 7 billion people and if you DON'T kill us all, but want to enslave us, ...do you have mind control rays? Do you occupy earth and instate your own alien governments? Well..you probably need several million aliens for THAT. How do they get here?

Nope, there is no chance these are hill-billy aliens from planet Dork
    How do you know they travel thousands of lightyears with a spaceship? Looks like you shouold watch less Independence Day or other Sci-Fi movies lol.

What if they are dumber than we are and just found out what fire is?
    Last edited by Dismembered; 2017-06-23 at 02:25 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    There was some sort of summit/meeting between NASA and various sci-fi authors (authors that knew something about real science) a long while ago that explored the possibility of aliens and potential dangers. (virus/germs...were also looked at) But for the most part, the "physicality" was specified. (Ie. the alien from "Aliens")
    And the consensus was that Earth's gravity produced some serious tough muthas when it comes to going toe-to-toe with an alien.
    The best that the authors came up was a cat-like creature from one book. When the human lightly smacked it on the arm, he accidently broke it. Human flesh isn't just strong, it's dense. Atmospheric pressure keeps us "locked" however.

It was interesting to hear some of the conclusions coming from this little pow-wow.

Although I am definitely of the opinion that were aliens to observe what's really going on, they'd high-tail it out of this galaxy. Seeing how humans murder each other, among so many vile crimes, they'd have to come to the conclusion that we are insane and have no business consorting with any other race.
    While I've heard of a few such thought exercises, I haven't heard of this particular one. Would you happen to have a source I can find on it?

TBH, from what we know today with the discovery of so many exo-planets, Earth's gravity is nothing particularly special. So either that summit was *really* long ago, or may not have involved particularly good players (i.e. not everyone involved with NASA are the sharpest tools in the shed), or it was something else you might be remembering. Frankly, if the best they could come up were cat-like creatures whose bones are more fragile than Mr. Glass from Unbreakable, that sounds more like the plot of a sci-fi novel than a serious thought exercise.

We just raid their mothership, wait for it's captain to warp us to their homeworld and proceed to kill the dude.

Then ,as the alien activates the self-destruct sequence , our cool and edgy strike team leader pulls out some super secret thingamajig he intercepted from the baddies and creates a planet-sized wormhole to our planet and *BOOM* we did it boys.

But oh-oh... our planet is now connected to their homeworld! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE YOU COOL AND EDGY GUY!

And then we wait for... what... about 4 months? for our planetary government to reveal further plan!

Deleted
    We could defeat them easily with a 1990s laptop and a computer virus.

If they have the technology to get here, and turn out to be hostile, there's little to no chance we survive if they're dedicated to taking over the Earth for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    If they got instant travel it wouldn't matter, plus I hardly think Earth would go all Independence Day, we barely get along right now.
    Nothing unites people like a common enemy. We'd unite at least long enough to kill the aliens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saybel View Post
    It's reckless because it provides no discernible benefit past a limiting point. An empire with 100's of billions - trillions of lives spread across so many light years that communication is impossible (remember, it takes 4 and 1/2 years to communicate with the nearest star) to manage and would just devolve into a bunch of locally based, isolated communities. Any civilization that's capable of developing that sort of technology should surely realize that dividing themselves into isolated communities that would realistically end up competing (and thus actively hinder each other instead of helping) with each other is not advantageous in any way.

Even though muh aliens, the laws of physics still apply. The speed of light is the speed of light, that's not something that's navigable.
    You cannot say with any accuracy what the level of tech will be once a civilization enters multiple star colonization. Communication might be able to break the light barrier - we don't know. Transportation more than likely will - and that by itself will speed up communication (like old west Pony Express in the United States).

Management of a far-reaching empire like that would boil down to local governments for the most part, but that is nothing new. But they wouldn't be divided because of communication.

The speed of light is navigable - we have theories on the books right now and we aren't even to the next planet over tech wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Nothing unites people like a common enemy. We'd unite at least long enough to kill the aliens.
    I think there's far more willing to join the invasion than join the resistance. "You're dropping meteors on blue states? We're in!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The speed of light is navigable - we have theories on the books right now and we aren't even to the next planet over tech wise.
    No, it's not. The speed of light is the speed of causality and is absolutely not navigable. Information cannot travel faster then light, the only method you can travel "FTL" is by removing the distance between the transmitting and recieving end, which still isn't FTL.

It's not about technology, it's a hard limit of reality. There are no theories on the books which stand up to testable scientific scrutiny.
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

They would probably wipe us all out after monitoring us saying 'What is all this religion stuff they speak of? fuck me what a shitty fucking species and an embarrasment to the galaxy...end these plebs now....'

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtcrime View Post

Did I say that anyone who believes any other way than me is infantile? Or did I say that the concept of alien invasions (at least so far as most people understand it) is infantile? There's quite a big difference in there and I think you were just projecting your own meaning onto what I said. For the record I will just say it in a way that's less likely to lead to misinterpretation.

I think that the idea of alien invaders is just a nightmare fantasy conjured up by our monkey brains for entertainment and is probably nothing close to reality. It may very well be impossible, but it's almost certainly not worth it. I think alien explorers, observers; and possibly intervention is far more likely but my own thoughts lean closer to us being the only technological civilisation in the galaxy anyway. Disclaimer: I do not think you're stupid if you disagree; and you're more than welcome to do so.

I won't make any apologies for saying that Independence Day is a stupid fucking movie, doesn't mean that I think everyone who likes it is stupid. Likewise I can think an idea is ill conceived, without thinking or saying that everyone that has it is a moron.
    Yes, and I quoted you saying that. Do you need me to do so again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtcrime View Post
    The idea of alien invaders is infantile.
    Is it that you have zero self reflection? You started with the insults, then threw a hissy fit and said you were taking your ball and going home because I responded in kind. Grow up. Take responsibility for what you said.

Sustainability in the sense that species are going to have to deal with an increasingly resource limited universe is only part of the strategy. Spreading your race and eliminating competition for those resources is the way to maximize the length of time your race survives. If we run up against any species that follows that track, invasion/extermination isn't infantile, it's an natural extension of that thinking. This is why I'm saying you're not willing to think outside of your own experience. You project pacifism on alien species where we have no basis for doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Deleted
    If hey have the tech to actually fly over to our world, they have the tech to conquer us easily as well.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    See I disagree. Language is more or less just mathematical patterns of sounds when spoken. Of symbols when written. Of 1s and 0s when in a computer system. They might not have the natural organs to experience sound or site and their computer systems might and likely would operate completely differently than our own but odds are very high they would have instruments of some type to detect these things around them and then analyze these patterns. Any civilization that has mastered space travel would likely have a very high understanding of mathematics and some sort of way to identified and analyze patterns. I also tend to lean towards if they are intelligent and advanced enough to travel the stars they would be intelligent enough to approach any planet with another civilization on it with caution and study it closely before making the choice of contact, conquest, destruction, continued study, or to completely avoid. I mean we make the same choices with fellow humans and animals of Earth all the time. We don't pick North Korea for a vacation spot for a reason and some people live out in the jungle and watch ants for half their lives. We might not understand the ants language for example but we understand that they leave chemical trails the others fallow. They they release certain chemicals to communicate and which ones get certain reactions. The easiest way for an alien civilization to study us would be to pull signals flying openly though the air and breaking them down mathematically as they are transmitted digitally. At first sure they would be breaking down Jimmy Kimmel but as they mastered breaking that signal down they would learn to break down coded signals from corporate, government, and military singles. From their they can move into databases. At some point even if it takes a decade or two they would have a pretty firm understanding of social structure, technological level, intelligence, and just about anything else while also being to confirm these things with observations on the surface of the planet and all from a pretty safe distance. Would they be a master of all? Likely not. But a firm grasp? Likely.
    And I would disagree, still. Language is indeed a LOT more than just patterns of sounds spoken. Some species on earth can't even make sounds when they communicate. Who knows what aliens will bring regarding communication. They might even understand communication the way we do - sound itself might be completely foreign to them.

I believe that communication is much more complicated than you are giving it credit. The movie Arrival delved into that concept a bit (plus it's a great movie to boot).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saybel View Post
    No, it's not. The speed of light is the speed of causality and is absolutely not navigable. Information cannot travel faster then light, the only method you can travel "FTL" is by removing the distance between the transmitting and recieving end, which still isn't FTL.

It's not about technology, it's a hard limit of reality. There are no theories on the books which stand up to testable scientific scrutiny.
    You couldn't be more wrong. On two, entirely separate levels.

(1) the speed of light can be circumnavigated, you're just arguing semantics instead of concepts. Don't do that. FTL will be a reality, and that's how you break the "c barrier". So information will be able to travel FTL. Whether it's an Alcubierre drive or something similar, we will be able to travel and therefore communicate faster than the limits of c.

(2) you're arguing a negative, which is impossible (lol at the irony). It is about technology, not the "hard limit of reality" because that reality always changes.

Theories on the books are just that - untested scientific ideas. We're talking about future technology and what aliens might have under their belts in order to travel the stars. They will have beaten FTL if they show up on our door.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    They probably wouldn't be able to once we started to use nukes and make the planet uninhabitable.
    Assuming they have no way to simply remove the radiation, or that the radiation would even have an adverse effect on them?
    Last edited by Magical Mudcrab; 2017-06-23 at 05:35 PM.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    And I would disagree, still. Language is indeed a LOT more than just patterns of sounds spoken. Some species on earth can't even make sounds when they communicate. Who knows what aliens will bring regarding communication. They might even understand communication the way we do - sound itself might be completely foreign to them.

I believe that communication is much more complicated than you are giving it credit. The movie Arrival delved into that concept a bit (plus it's a great movie to boot).
    The communication part in Arrival is very well done. The movie as a whole is terrible. It plays on the usual cliche of using the Big C to generate viewer sympathy. As someone with family impacted by the Big C, I always find it poor taste when the showbiz uses it to score points with the audience. That's just very cheap and poor writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    The communication part in Arrival is very well done. The movie as a whole is terrible. It plays on the usual cliche of using the Big C to generate viewer sympathy. As someone with family impacted by the Big C, I always find it poor taste when the showbiz uses it to score points with the audience. That's just very cheap and poor writing.
    I disagree - I thought the movie was done very well, all the way around - including the insane twist. But I don't recognize what you mean by the Big C (and I hope I haven't put my foot in my mouth here, not meaning to offend) so I might be missing something.
    Last edited by cubby; 2017-06-23 at 05:37 PM.

Deleted
    If they got the tech to travel faster than the speed of light I'd say rather easily. All they would have to do is to bombard us from orbit and there's nothing we could do about it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Idk im pretty sure they have already been here, I mean how else did we get here. I'm almost 100% positive that humanity as a whole is several failed attempts at creating a labor force of some sort. Of course I have 0 evidence this but its the most logical idea I can come up with