Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Finally upgrading my old piece of junk

So I bought this computer 6 years ago or so and as I've learned over the years of getting some more knowledge, the parts were really wonky even then.

Now I did invest in another mobo and CPU a couple years back, but when I encountered some weird issues upon installing them I've just left them in their boxes all this time.

All being said, my desktop has performed fairly good throughout the years. The main reason I want to upgrade at this point is I want a second monitor. The one I've been looking at is the Acer 27" LED XF270HUA, which I can get at a decent discount. To facilitate this though, I guess I'll need a new GPU as mine only has 1GB of memory and in general is old n shitty (I believe it's right about this one http://www.gigabyte.us/Graphics-Card/GV-R695OC-1GD#ov).

Now for a new GPU, I was thinking something along the lines of a ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX DC3 OC. It featues 2 DP outlets which I understand is to prefer above HDMI, and is in general a strong card.

I realize I should probably look into getting my mobo & CPU actually installed, or even getting new ones all together, but other than that is there anything with my thought process that is flawed? Also, is there anything I'd need to think about regarding these purchases such as old connectors not supporting the GPU or more CPU power needed for the monitor or anything along those lines? For example, would my CPU get a higher load due to the second monitor (currently running only one)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamiel View Post
    Simple question what healer gives you personally the biggest headache in pvp?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobajobjob View Post
    I play a ret paladin, so my answer is this:

Yes.

It would help if you told us your current Parts List. At least, the Mother Board and CPU that you bought. What are they?

the 2nd monitor would hardly tax your system more. It takes very little resources to run 2D stuff. (Though not 0)

It would help to know what motherboard and CPU you have now.

As for display port vs HDMI. If you are at 1080p, it honestly doesn't matter past hdmi 1.3. Displayport 1.3 is equivelent to HDMI 2.0. @4k Displayport is usually preferred as it tends to carry a higher refresh rate. The GTX 1070 ROG strix is a good card, but most 1070s will performed the same as long as their not Reference cards (Ref cards run hotter and run base clocks so no factory overclocks)

PSU if it has 2 PCI-E 6+2 connectors and at least 500W and 80+ rated, it should be fine going forward with most current GPU + CPU combos. If you plan on dual GPU or running an AMD FX processor, you may need a larger supply.

For monitor display, unless your running two very demanding programs, it will mostly just be your GPU. Having facebook youtube and a chat program on your second monitor and gaming on the other the cpu wont be taxed to much assuming you have at least a higher end i5/i7 from 6 years ago. In other words, programs will be demanding on your CPU, extra monitor, GPU as it will need to load more pixels (VRAM).

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Regarding my current setup, I'm on an Asrock P55 Pro mobo with an intel i5 of some sort running at 2.8GHz stock (I used to have it OCd to like 3.7 but I idled 70-80C) with 12gb of 1333 ram. The parts I bought a couple years back (probably like 4 years+ at this point) were an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro mobo with I believe an i5 3570k. Short story about those is first time I tried installing, it wouldn't startup. I went back to the store and they did some sort of BIOS update to align the mobo with the cpu or whatever but it still didn't work, so I just gave up.

My PSU is some 1200W beast (I know, as I said the original setup was wonky) with like gold ranking - http://www.coolermaster.com/powersup...ro-gold-1200w/ this one I believe - , so that should be fine for 20 years to come /s.

For the record, I was planning on running the monitor at 1440 if that changes anything or isn't recommended or whatever. Or will that not work with my old screen at 1080?
    Last edited by RodneyStanger; 2017-06-23 at 02:58 PM.

Yes.

windows does support uneven monitor resolutions, so that's not a problem. The 3570k will hold your 1070 back a bit though

Quote Originally Posted by zox2 View Post
    windows does support uneven monitor resolutions, so that's not a problem. The 3570k will hold your 1070 back a bit though
    That's great, and to be honest I'm probably not going to be running even the 3570k unless it works on my first time starting it up, I'm probably gonna end up running this old shit of a CPU until I upgrade it anew.

Yes.

1440p, the 1070 should be more than good enough. I hope someone who knows intel a little better can come in and help you (my last 8 years of computers have been AMD) with your mobo/cpu issue as the "newer" parts you have are much better. Just kind of a dumb question, when you did the upgrade, did the system ever POST?

Honestly, if you can put money away, a new CPU/MoBo along with a new gpu would be a huge improvement. If not, you could get a cheaper end GPU like a 1050ti as a card for that current computer. It will be a big improvement and will cost you 150$
    Last edited by teamkiller; 2017-06-23 at 03:56 PM.

Yeah I reckon it's probably for the best to get another CPU (with which I suppose I need a new mobo as the socket is old as shit right?), if I'm gonna put away this amount of money for the GPU & monitor I might aswell not cheap out on the CPU I guess.

Would getting new ram make a lot of sense? Not sure how that would impact the rig but I gather 1333 is pretty outdated.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyStanger View Post
    Yeah I reckon it's probably for the best to get another CPU (with which I suppose I need a new mobo as the socket is old as shit right?), if I'm gonna put away this amount of money for the GPU & monitor I might aswell not cheap out on the CPU I guess.

Would getting new ram make a lot of sense? Not sure how that would impact the rig but I gather 1333 is pretty outdated.
    Yes, new CPU means you need a new motherboard. If getting a new CPU/Motherboard you will need new RAM. This gen of CPUs started using DDR4. Your RAM is DDR3 and will not work with a new CPU/Motherboard.

If you opt for a new core pc (ram/mobo/cpu) please ask in the forums. The BOTM is decent, but there are multiple discrepancies on what is best performance/dollar. There are smart people in the computer forum who can help (WARNING: some of them have differing opinions for different tasks!!)
    Last edited by teamkiller; 2017-06-23 at 04:47 PM. Reason: ooops quoted wrong person

Well, I guess this is me asking in the forums. Assuming I'll go through with the 1070, what would be a reasonable baseline mobo/cpu/ram counterpart to invest in? Also, I'm currently using some aftermarket cooler that came with the original build, would it be wise to get an aftermarket cooler for the new setup?

Yes.

Well, I guess this is me asking in the forums. Assuming I'll go through with the 1070, what would be a reasonable baseline mobo/cpu/ram counterpart to invest in? Also, I'm currently using some aftermarket cooler that came with the original build, would it be wise to get an aftermarket cooler for the new setup?
    My personal opinion you have one of 4 choices for an upgrade 2 intel and 2 AMD

AMD "Low" end (use the stock cooler and leave at stock speeds 4-core 8thread)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($117.88 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $372.85
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-23 14:46 EDT-0400

AMD "Higher end" (Cooler is always inter-changeable, plan on overclocking this to 3.8ghz plus 6 core 12 thread higher speed ram is good however with ram compatibility issues, hard to recommend a specific set of sticks)

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($64.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($117.88 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $460.73
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-23 14:47 EDT-0400

Intel "low" end (Cooler negotiable, plan to overclock 4 core)

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.88 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($64.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z270 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($111.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($105.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $510.73
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-23 14:51 EDT-0400

Intel "Currently best for gaming, very likely to change" 4 core 8 thread plan to overclock

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($326.49 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z270 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($111.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($105.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $609.34
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-23 14:52 EDT-0400

You will find differing opinions on which way to go, i find the Ryzen R5 1600 to be a very solid upgrade at a reasonable cost but others may say something different.

I'd be concerned with you being able to find the correct mount for AMD im not sure about the Intel sockets in regards to your current aftermarket cooler.
    Last edited by teamkiller; 2017-06-23 at 06:56 PM. Reason: added more

Oh wow thanks a bunch. Yeah I wasn't really planning on using my current aftermarket cooler for future purposes anyway, as I'd prefer having everything fresh and up to date if I'm getting all of these upgrades anyway (plus I remember the CPU socket itself being some outdated version even when I got the 3570k).

I'd agree that the AMD higher end seems like a reasonable pick if you take into account the pricing (would the high end AMD be superior to the low end intel? I remember hearing good things about Ryzen a few weeks back).

As a side note, what does the "Micro ATX" defintion on the MOBO mean, is it a smaller fit? I understand it's all already picked out to match regarding the parts listed, but would it require anything different from my case/mounts?

Yes.

Oh wow thanks a bunch. Yeah I wasn't really planning on using my current aftermarket cooler for future purposes anyway, as I'd prefer having everything fresh and up to date if I'm getting all of these upgrades anyway (plus I remember the CPU socket itself being some outdated version even when I got the 3570k).

I'd agree that the AMD higher end seems like a reasonable pick if you take into account the pricing (would the high end AMD be superior to the low end intel? I remember hearing good things about Ryzen a few weeks back).

As a side note, what does the "Micro ATX" defintion on the MOBO mean, is it a smaller fit? I understand it's all already picked out to match regarding the parts listed, but would it require anything different from my case/mounts?
    __________This section is all opinion that has been back by benchmarks and reviews this is always subject to change!________
    Intel"low" vs AMD "high"
    Most applications theyll be relatively the same. Streaming and gaming, ryzen will pull ahead as more cores and threads. For wow, the Intel will be better. Ryzen will age better than the Intel low as the higher core count will be more appropriately used once DX12 catches on and more cores are used to run games.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ _____

Micro ATX is a smaller board. Typically cases now a days support full and micros. Micros have less PCI slots but other than that typically have the same things as their ATX brothers. M-ATX are typically 10-20$ cheaper than the ATX boards, this is the main reason i typically suggest them as most people don't go to dual cards anymore unless they're doing a major gaming/workstation rig at which point you would be getting a different CPU (1800X (1700oced)/Intel 7700k)

Great, thanks! So since my game of choice for the moment is mainly wow the intel should technically be better, but for most other games (which I do play on occasion) and for future purposes, the AMD should be somewhat more solid (while also being cheaper)?

Yes.

Great, thanks! So since my game of choice for the moment is mainly wow the intel should technically be better, but for most other games (which I do play on occasion) and for future purposes, the AMD should be somewhat more solid (while also being cheaper)?
    For the most part yes. That is assuming DX12 does catch on and with intels X299 platform moving to more cores and coffelake moving to more cores, more cores should become more mainstream.

Neat. As a final question I noted the compability notes on pcpartpicker says The be quiet! - Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard.

Would that be an issue?

Also, as I'm still fairly new when it comes to building the rig itself, would there be anything else I need to think about? Such as cables or paste I'd need to buy. I assume the cooler comes with some paste already applied, should that be redone?
    Last edited by RodneyStanger; 2017-06-23 at 10:41 PM.

Yes.

Neat. As a final question I noted the compability notes on pcpartpicker says The be quiet! - Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard.

Would that be an issue?

Also, as I'm still fairly new when it comes to building the rig itself, would there be anything else I need to think about? Such as cables or paste I'd need to buy. I assume the cooler comes with some paste already applied, should that be redone?
    Sorry for the late reply, http://www.bequiet.com/en/motherboardcheck

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0005-_-Product (35$ instead of 60, heat disappation drops from 180 to 150 shouldnt be a problem as your still doubling the heat dissapation of the stock clocks of the 1600s 65W, this is true with all the intel chips as well and the 1500x)

Should be a decent replacement for the dark rock 3 for all systems.

Cables, your supply should be able to handle everything if you want go through a cable check. you should have at least 1 sata power strip, 1 8 pin cpu power cable, 1 24 (20+4) main power cable, and prefereably, 2 PCIe 6+2 cables, and 1 molex cable looks something like \ooo/

The heatsink, comes with paste installed, but something like arctic silver is not a bad idea, if you're worried about temps when overclocking. Otherwise, the stock paste should work fine, just make sure it is clean when it gets to you. Fair warning, the 1600 has a decent sized amount of silicon lottery to it, some OC only to 3.85 and hit the wall but others OC to 4.05 so dont be surprised either way.

Oh okay so I swap the dark rock 190 for a pure rock 150, great.

I reckon I probably have all the cables I need since there shouldn't be any change from my current setup regarding that. Hopefully I won't need to backup with some new paste then Silicon lottery I assume means some CPUs are just produced better than others? I wasn't really planning on OCing more than like 3.8 anyway so I suppose neither the "silicon lottery" nor the quality of the paste shouldn't be that big an issue.

Yes.