Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    You really need to get some facts. 160M estimated production budget, 433.7M (of which only 44M came from NA) in box office. (not counting dvd sales, merch etc..) Sure, thats small potatoes compared to say, Xmen or Avengers, but nothing to sneeze at either.
    You need to get some facts. Studios don't take all the Box Office Money.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#13bb74e333f3

Like a number of big-budget movies opening these days, Warcraft had two specific goals. First of all, it had to make money. And on that scale, it is indeed a failure, albeit less of one than many of us presumed once upon a time. Even with a whopping $220 million in China, which amounted to over half of the film’s $430m worldwide cume, the $160m production is still a slight money loser (around $15m so says The Hollywood Reporter). The film made around 2.675x its production budget (not including marketing costs), which means it may break even down in post-theatrical. But it is not a breakout smash hit by any definition. Investors don’t throw money into big budget movies to just break even..
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

In all honesty, I thought the Orc scenes were fantastically done. Not just from a technical perspective, but from a pacing, acting and scripting perspective as well. A BIG exception however is Gul'dan breaking the rules of Mak'gora and using the Fel to win a fight, and the rest of the orcs just being okay with it out of fear.

The huge issues I had with the first movie were the live-action scenes. The costumes looked godawful, Garona's makeup was hideous, ALL of the casting was off, the special effects were too over-the-top, and all of the acting, dialogue and scenes were just messy as all hell. Remember the scene with Medivh and the golem? How cheesy and lame was that shit?

And as far as Duncan Jones saying that all of the rest of the story outside of the "family" theme being just "mumbo jumbo nonsense," that just further proves that he doesn't understand the material he's working with one bit. You can't just simplify a large world into a few characters' stories and call it a day. If he would have adapted Lord of the Rings and said "It's just about an uncle and his relationship with his nephew. All the rest is garbage", people would've said he was a moron.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally think Duncan Jones wasn't what was wrong with the WarCraft film. I blame the studio, which required him to cut the film down. It's been said that the film was originally some 40 minutes longer. I would have preferred seeing that version of the film. As a result of studio pressure to cut the film down, we got the pacing issues and underdeveloped relationships we see in the finished product, particularly on the human side of the story (like with Lothar and his son).

I believe if the film would have been made earlier in WOW's prime(Lich King era), things would have been a bit different. More films could have been released since then to catch everyone up on the lore. There's just way too much content and or lore to digest from Wow's history now and the fan base isn't as concrete and supportive as it once was. Blizzard missed a great opportunity for multiple films by waiting so long to give justice to the WOW universe. Trying to play catch-up won't work because the film industry will just butcher it.

Its probably for the best if this movie franchise dies here and now.

I actually liked the movie but i didnt love it which is sad cause i fucking love Warcraft and its lore.

We all know they started with the wrong storyline and that the Arthas story was much more engaging though China may have been pricks regarding all those images of death they have a thing about.

It does sound like the second one would be more Thrall centric and less about whats going on around Azeroth which doesnt sound like a great plan.

Maybe a CGI movie could be made or a Cartoon but a live action movie sequel? Nah i think that is dead and buried.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xbcfgxsuj View Post
    Its probably for the best if this movie franchise dies here and now.
    I'd rather see it triumphantly return.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I personally think Duncan Jones wasn't what was wrong with the WarCraft film. I blame the studio, which required him to cut the film down. It's been said that the film was originally some 40 minutes longer. I would have preferred seeing that version of the film. As a result of studio pressure to cut the film down, we got the pacing issues and underdeveloped relationships we see in the finished product, particularly on the human side of the story (like with Lothar and his son).
    Have you seen the deleted scenes? I'm glad they got excluded. Like Peter Jakson did with the Hobbit, Duncan Jones took way too much artistic license which only contributed to bad aspects of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I'd rather see it triumphantly return.
    Half of me would too but the realist part of me knows no movie exec is gonna green light it with the budget it had before so its gonna be even worse looking and just focusing on one character IE Thrall and i doubt many people want to see that.

So i would rather it not get made than sully the franchise with a slapdash crappy movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    The Warcraft movie was actually very good.
    It was not "very good" nor anything like it.

It was however admittedly far better than it had any right to be, but that is damning with faint praise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TSM View Post
    Have you seen the deleted scenes? I'm glad they got excluded.
    I've seen a few, and I liked what I saw. Particularly this one:

I've also read about the cut content involving the repelling of a troll invasion and, yeah, I would have preferred to see that cut of the film.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    It was not "very good" nor anything like it.

It was however admittedly far better than it had any right to be, but that is damning with faint praise.
    To my taste, it was. But then again the reason it was so hard to follow was because of the lack of lore background from the big crowd. I personally had no issues following it. But one movie? It's way too little.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Blaming Jones for an end result for which he had very little say, that's quite rich.
    He made a 3+ hours movie and the studio stripped it down to a 2 hours sharp version.
    That this comes to some short falling on the story telling, should be rather clear.
    Story telling, there too was not enough individual freedom on the directors side. Blizzard messed around in that part too much.

But in overall, imo the movie had to me only 2 weaknesses.
    1. Said short run time. Two hours did not cut it. Three or even four hours would have been a lot better.
    2. The casting of Khadgar. I just didn't buy that actors performance.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

I liked the movie but didn't like the forced Love story and the pointless son. Just having text under each location that gave a little information would have helped. Also to not jump around so much. To much flying and teleporting for no real reason. Garrona backstory change was also dumb. Killing the king early kind of ruined the whole storyline for the sacking of stormwind if they were even simi planning on a second movie. I don't know why they went with *the FEL* instead of just drinking the blood of Mannoroth putting more focus on the Demon aspect not the magic they wield.

I would have liked the first movie to be 100% on Draenor with the rise of the horde the genocide of the Draenei the subjugation of the Ogres and the killing of the Gronn. Ending with the building of the Dark portal. Old Warcraft was pretty dark. Genocide, breeding camps, forced ageing with mind control. Killing orcs and binding their souls into human bodies. Creating roads and shrines out of the corpses of the Gronn and Draenei. ect...

Overall the movie wasn't as bad as some people like to think but it could have been better for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    2. The casting of Khadgar. I just didn't buy that actors performance.
    Yeah, I wasn't that impressed with him either. He was passable. Recasting him as an older man for a sequel would work though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    The first one was boring and pretty bad. The acting was fucking atrocious, and the only good part of it was the CGI. Even something so simple as a script just copying Warcraft got butchered in translation and we ended up with the pacing of a meth head. If a second never happens, the world would be a better place.
    Agreed with everything.

They needed to make the movie at least 40 minutes longer for better character development, and they should have filmed longer to ensure the actors got it right. The scene with Lothar and the Dwarf should have been longer for example. Have them starting out in a pub where they're getting shitfaced then gradually going to the dwarf's workshop where it looks like Lothar is drunkenly about to shoot himself. The guy playing Lothar acted so derpy in that scene that there had to have been something like that that was cut from the film. Probably to make sure it was PC, trim the run time, or to make cuts from the computer graphics budget. I had zero emotional investments in any of the human characters. This coming from someone who's intrigued by warcraft lore enough to have read most of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Epicpopsicle;46188174][url]https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/06/duncan

Duncun did his job, and did a damn good one at that. Legendary Pictures is to blame for it's utter flop. They cut so much out, which made the plot confusing. They refused to release the complete uncut version, which would explain Garona & leading up to the Dark Portal scene. They also had the most bizarre and impractical release dates set, which cause many North American fans to just pirate it from China because it was out over a month before. Shit, Europe didn't get to see it for almost 2 month after America. I hope the idiots at Legendary learned their lesson and just allow the Directors they hire to do their job without suppressing their artistic expression. I'd love to see a Warcraft 2, but it's going to need a ton of fan support before Legendary greenlights it.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    The Average rating on Rotten Tomatoes for Warcraft was 4.2
    As if that website means anything. Reviews can be bought, corruption is a big risk. I would take everything with a bit (or maybe a lot) of salt. I mean, all those silly Marvel movies get high scores even though they suck. I very much suspect corruption. Movie companies who don't pay the reviewers to get good results get shit on. It's looking that simple.

It's really interesting how the US movie market is acting so much different from the rest of the world. If a movie does bad in the US it doesn't automatically mean the movie is bad. It's just that the US has become a weird market.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    As if that website means anything. Reviews can be bought, corruption is a big risk. I would take everything with a bit (or maybe a lot) of salt. I mean, all those silly Marvel movies get high scores even though they suck. I very much suspect corruption. Movie companies who don't pay the reviewers to get good results get shit on. It's looking that simple.

It's really interesting how the US movie market is acting so much different from the rest of the world. If a movie does bad in the US it doesn't automatically mean the movie is bad. It's just that the US has become a weird market.
    4.2 out of 10. If I paid for that review, I'd be pissed.

Just because you think they suck doesn't mean the masses share your opinion. You suspect corruption because you're a conspiracy theorist...

Everyone try and follow this guys logic. Movie makes hundreds of millions of dollars because it sucks. LOLWUT!? Movie is so popular that it spawns dozens of other movies that all make hundreds of millions of dollars and all the movies suck. U HIGH?

Warcraft did BAD everywhere EXCEPT China. I'd say the Chinese have a weird market, but it's actually explained really easily. The most people who play WoW is Chinese people. Why do you think they got the movie before the rest of the world? You think their marketing team didn't know the perfect audience to target?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

The human acting was pretty damn bad all around. 2 of the actors are actually really good actors, so something had to be off with the clarity on what the movie was to the actors because they kinda sucked.

The pacing and editing is a master class in how bad editing can ruin a movie. The studio (I'd imagine) wanted it to be 2 hours long rather than 3, but it killed the movie.

It would work really well as a TV show if they can figure out how to do CGI well for it.

I don't think Warcraft is movie material if they just want to retell the story from the games. There is just too much to squeeze in, in 2 hours or so, and it shows in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    The Warcraft movie was actually very good. Sadly, I don't think the Warcraft Universe can fit into a "movie" format. Too much lore, too many events to simply summarize it in two hours.

It should've been a TV serie. At least the Witcher got it right. Well, on a technical side, that is. I have no idea if it'll be good.
    Peter Jackson could have done it well if he made it in the similar mood and atmosphere as the lord of the rings and hobbit movies. He would have made it epic and rich. I doubt Peter Jackson has the same passion to make a world of Warcraft movie though. It was his dream to make lord of the rings and the hobbit movies.