Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Show video proof or it didn´t happen! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    I said most, not all. It is a lighter recoil, lighter rifle, and more accurate within normal range.
    .338 is a lot of places, sure, .50's are still quite common for anti-material stuff or more fixed positioning. Well, neither is "common", but relatively speaking.

They also mostly made their shots before the widespread adoption of the .338.
    These long shots are really the exception anyway, though maybe that's just what's publicly mentioned. Besides, it's not like most of these stories mention how many misses there are. :-p
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post

another one. Do bullet travel faster or slower than sound. Did the victim even heard a bang? (assuming you can hear at 3 km, which you may not).

i genuinely know nothing about military gun, or guns in general.
    They ammo is supersonic, so it travels faster than sound. The sonic boom is never heard by the target, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    .338 is a lot of places, sure, .50's are still quite common for anti-material stuff or more fixed positioning. Well, neither is "common", but relatively speaking.

These long shots are really the exception anyway, though maybe that's just what's publicly mentioned. Besides, it's not like most of these stories mention how many misses there are. :-p
    Honestly, im not sure how or why .50cal has become so popular as a sniper rifle platform. It's heavier, the rounds are heavier, and the weapon is bulker than the alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Honestly, im not sure how or why .50cal has become so popular as a sniper rifle platform. It's heavier, the rounds are heavier, and the weapon is bulker than the alternatives
    Mass, really. The 338 is supposed to shoot similarly, but the 50 still has over double the energy, in general. I think it probably came into use mostly because the round was already floating around in the military system. I'm not sure when 338 made it's way into usage, most of the special forces types can get stuff not normal anyway.

Given I live in Florida, I haven't shot either and there aren't any ranges that would give it a run for the money. I've handled them before, but have no interest.

Mass, really. The 338 is supposed to shoot similarly, but the 50 still has over double the energy, in general. I think it probably came into use mostly because the round was already floating around in the military system. I'm not sure when 338 made it's way into usage, most of the special forces types can get stuff not normal anyway.

Given I live in Florida, I haven't shot either and there aren't any ranges that would give it a run for the money. I've handled them before, but have no interest.
    I've shot both a M14 and the .50cal Barrett.

Both will achieve the same job, killing the enemy. The .50 will just leave a bigger mess.

I'd rather carry the M14 because it's lighter, the ammo is lighter, and the M14 less bulky.

I find this to be very suspect. First off, that is a ridiculously long shot. Second, this sounds a lot like the standard wartime propaganda you see about individuals doing amazing things, most of which are heavily embellished. We hear stories about random hot women who terrorize ISIS as snipers, or the random old dude who is the constant thorn in the side of jihadis. They are feel-good stories, with very little actual truth.

Both will achieve the same job, killing the enemy. The .50 will just leave a bigger mess.

I'd rather carry the M14 because it's lighter, the ammo is lighter, and the M14 less bulky.
    An M14 won't have anywhere near the reach though. 308's out to what, 800m? Those I've shot, though I keep to my M1's instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Go back and watch it. 9/11 is genuinely entertaining.
    I'm curious as to how it was entertaining/funny?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I find this to be very suspect. First off, that is a ridiculously long shot. Second, this sounds a lot like the standard wartime propaganda you see about individuals doing amazing things, most of which are heavily embellished. We hear stories about random hot women who terrorize ISIS as snipers, or the random old dude who is the constant thorn in the side of jihadis. They are feel-good stories, with very little actual truth.
    It is a ridiculously long shot but I feel like if NA military forces wanted to go that route they'd make more outlandish claims like some dude 360 no scoped off the ISS while solving a rubiks cube.

10+ Year Old Account

The .338 is rather common for long range sniping (i.e. above what 7.62x51 is generally capable of), having been designed specifically to replace the .50s in anti-personnel role.

Yes, they are very much the exception.

- - - Updated - - -

The first use of the .50 as a sniper weapon was during Vietnam when they actually attached scopes to M2s. It was also the next largest round after the 7.62x51 in most Western militaries, so logistically it made sense.

- - - Updated - - -

The .338 actually is a much flatter shooting round.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on the target. Normal battlefield, the M14 is good, but if you really want to reach out (or really damage material) the .50 wins.

- - - Updated - - -

Confirmed kills for snipers are just that, confirmed.

The .338 is rather common for long range sniping (i.e. above what 7.62x51 is generally capable of), having been designed specifically to replace the .50s in anti-personnel role.

- - - Updated - - -

The first use of the .50 as a sniper weapon was during Vietnam when they actually attached scopes to M2s. It was also the next largest round after the 7.62x51 in most Western militaries, so logistically it made sense.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on the target. Normal battlefield, the M14 is good, but if you really want to reach out (or really damage material) the .50 wins.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, all my combat experience has been in Iraqi, namely urban environments, so I guess that's why I feel a bit more partial to a weapon like the M14 as opposed to a .50.

although, if we are talking about Afghanistan, I can certainly understand why people would go for the 50.

Damn Canadians breaking our world record!!

Looks like we need to find some IS scumbags to ice from 4000 meters away if that is even possible!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, all my combat experience has been in Iraqi, namely urban environments, so I guess that's why I feel a bit more partial to a weapon like the M14 as opposed to a .50.

although, if we are talking about Afghanistan, I can certainly understand why people would go for the 50.
    M14 is great at under 800m when multiple shots are needed.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

There have been plenty of instances of things being confirmed, that weren't so. When it comes to heroic deeds, exaggeration is par for the course. How many Medal of Honor citations are filled with them? Plenty. I remember talking with an old MoH recipient from the Air Force. He even said he would read his citation whenever he needed a good laugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    There have been plenty of instances of things being confirmed, that weren't so. When it comes to heroic deeds, exaggeration is par for the course. How many Medal of Honor citations are filled with them? Plenty. I remember talking with an old MoH recipient from the Air Force. He even said he would read his citation whenever he needed a good laugh.
    Citations are different than confirmed kills, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    I'm curious as to how it was entertaining/funny?
    Had good special effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Wonder how flat earthers are going to explain the fact that he had to factor in the curvature of the Earth in order to make that shot. If the Earth really was flat...he would have missed the shot spectacularly.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

M14 is great at under 800m when multiple shots are needed.
    M14/21, mk11/sr25, I forget the new HK rifle that's supposed to be an option too. A lot of options in .308 that all perform well I think, most probably as accurate as the M24 nowadays.

Of course I only get out to the 100 yard range once a year, let alone traveling to one of the 500yard ranges. Hurricane guns have different needs than Sniper/ DMR stuff.

It is good to have options for the military, but there's always that competition between options and standardizing everything.

I'm sure bringing a .50 for house and room clearing will take the bad guys by surprise though.