Using Glyphs for Animations

I was wondering what everyone thinks about the idea of using glyphs to customize a players animation. the idea would be blizzard animators could come up with a bunch of combat and spell animations for each race, set the basics, then allow us to change them with the animations that didn't make the basics cut or even exchange animation a with animation b to give your character it's own unique feel.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's basicaly the idea behind the Dance Studio, minus the incorporation to the existing glyph system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Complete waste of dev. time. Animation is a long process in the already-time consuming art "bottle neck." It would be much better to use that time for better models, new races, subraces, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Complete waste of dev. time. Animation is a long process in the already-time consuming art "bottle neck." It would be much better to use that time for better models, new races, subraces, etc.
    To be fair, the animators are there, and I'd rather them spend time giving the existing races cool new animations (like they did for melee, like they're doing for spells) than animating things we're only going to see in one expansion, like the Hozen. Imagine if they had taken the time out of the facial animation update to create a totally unique model for the Jinyu, *cringe*.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    To be fair, the animators are there, and I'd rather them spend time giving the existing races cool new animations (like they did for melee, like they're doing for spells) than animating things we're only going to see in one expansion, like the Hozen. Imagine if they had taken the time out of the facial animation update to create a totally unique model for the Jinyu, *cringe*.
    That's why "new things for players" should have top priority. With full-models being put ahead of different animations.

I would love a glyph that changed night elf casting animations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Actually, I rather want more animation selection than subraces. As for models, not many races left that needs the update. As for race, rather have more animations than more races before all races are updated.

Not really waste of time overall, customization is apparently one of the more popular stones in online games now a days.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    More options for customisation is never bad. The more freedom you have to customise your character the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Actually, I rather want more animation selection than subraces. As for models, not many races left that needs the update. As for race, rather have more animations than more races before all races are updated.

Not really waste of time overall, customization is apparently one of the more popular stones in online games now a days.
    What if they made the new animations a in-game store purchase, let the price go into paying for additional animators

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I would love a glyph that changed night elf casting animations.
    Pretty sure casting animations are getting an overhaul like melee did, wasn't that just confirmed?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
    What if they made the new animations a in-game store purchase, let the price go into paying for additional animators
    That would be an insult to players, really. Animations and their updates have gone hand in hand with the game, and shouldn't really be locked out in the cold. Makes it less popular just because they are there. Just look at the transmog helmet drama, people whined out loud and even want to far to become outright disgusting towards people whom may have purchased them. Not healthy for the market to set cosmetics there, even though good idea but the playerbase reaction is something one his to think about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Pretty sure casting animations are getting an overhaul like melee did, wasn't that just confirmed?
    Only selected ones, not all of them, at the moment.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    That would be an insult to players, really. Animations and their updates have gone hand in hand with the game, and shouldn't really be locked out in the cold. Makes it less popular just because they are there. Just look at the transmog helmet drama, people whined out loud and even want to far to become outright disgusting towards people whom may have purchased them. Not healthy for the market to set cosmetics there, even though good idea but the playerbase reaction is something one his to think about.

- - - Updated - - -

Only selected ones, not all of them, at the moment.
    That was years ago, with overwatch and heroes of the storm selling cosmetics people are more use to the idea. And maybe work a compromise and make the animations a rare drop in game as well

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Would be very nice for me. I'd love to see the old animations being an option like this, as I miss some of the animations that made my character feels more like my character. All races doing the exact same animations for the most part is pretty annoying. The Worgen 2H flip was wonderful as a Warrior and that seems to have gone completely. The old Templar's Verdict Animation is gone completely, as well as slam. I would also like to see the old 1H/2H Special Attacks as options.

For those wondering what I'm on about, look at WoWHead's Wardrobe feature, specifically the DeathStrike and Special1H/Special2H. I'm getting a little nostalgic looking at some of these. Miss some of my old DK Animations, as well as Orc and Undead Male 2H swings
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
    That was years ago, with overwatch and heroes of the storm selling cosmetics people are more use to the idea. And maybe work a compromise and make the animations a rare drop in game as well
    There are still some people acting so, if you wondered. As well, for Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm, everything can be obtained within the game with a secondary currency that isn't player affected. Unlike the World of Warcraft token, which IS player affected and has a high tendency to sky rocket, making it more about the credit card than actually earning it. As well, Heroes of the Storm and Overwatch aren't considered the subject of same plan, you have to remember that. One is B2P with unlocks, another F2P with unlocks and the third, a subscription which tends to be a more volatile thing to add store unlocks for.

You would need a complete remodeling of the online store for World of Warcraft, as well as a currency for doing certain content, as a rare drop, as you mentioned.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2017-06-24 at 08:49 PM.

Waste of developer's time.

Don't know why they nuked medium/major glyphs though. Still salty about that. It's like if enchanting became cosmetic only and added no value to gear.