Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Gay in Northern Ireland: 'He spat in my face'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/magazin...pat-in-my-face

Josh is from Northern Ireland and has experienced homophobia throughout his life.

A homophobic attack in 2014 was the final straw and Josh left Northern Ireland to move to Sweden. This year he moved back to his home country with his boyfriend Robin but neither of them plan to stay.

Northern Ireland remains the only part of the UK where same-sex marriage is not legal.
    An interesting video highlighting the fact that homophobia is still common in the West despite people claiming homophobia no longer happens in 2017. I crying shame that despite the progression regarding LGBT some people still feel the need to flee from persecution against their sexuality

10+ Year Old Account
    Homophobia is still pretty rampant in places where same sex marriage is legal. I mean...it's 2017 and gays are still beaten up in the US for being gay.

I'm not sure about Ireland -- but at least in the US as long as religious conservatism is a thing, so will homophobia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Homophobia is still pretty rampant in places where same sex marriage is legal. I mean...it's 2017 and gays are still beaten up in the US for being gay.

I'm not sure about Ireland -- but at least in the US as long as religious conservatism is a thing, so will homophobia.

Same sex marriage is not legal in N-ireland, Its DUP country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing interesting in that, click-bait. Anyway, gender threads aren't allowed according to Crissi.

... Who claims that homophobia no longer happens in 2017?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post

That's just nonsense. I have it on good authority from several mmo-champ posters that homophobia has been completely eradicated following gays getting all the rights as their straight counterparts .

Please stop trying to shove this gaygenda down their unsullied, innocent, fragile throats. Thank you.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post

An interesting video highlighting the fact that homophobia is still common in the West despite people claiming homophobia no longer happens in 2017. I crying shame that despite the progression regarding LGBT some people still feel the need to flee from persecution against their sexuality
    I'm not surprised at all. Honestly when my mother and her family left Cuba they all ready had hundreds if not thousands of gays killed or forced to take conversion therapy. And this was in the 70s. Imagine now Europe after imbracing gay marriage trading with both countries that doesn't regard gay marriage. It's mind blowing.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Everywhere besides major cities. Racism and intolerance is extremely common in rural western towns. Not as rampant as say... the middle east, but still very intolerant of other cultures.

My cousin had to move to New Zealand in order to have a life that wasn't full of ignorant twits. He is a teacher and married a wonderful guy, they have a beautiful home and an amazing life out there, but it is a crying shame they had to leave their home country because of the hate and ignorance of a few that made their lives miserable.

Things are a lot better than they were, but we have a long way to go still, sadly :/

It doesnt take a majority to persecute a minority. It just takes an aggressive minority - in this case homophobes - and a majority that is either not willing or not able to reign in this aggressive minority. I wouldnt infer tacit approval from the unwillingness necessarily, often the problem is that various sensitive issues colide in these cases. Also just because someone is "liberal", doesnt mean they approve or want to show solidarity, most of the time they are just indifferent.
    It is easy to point your fingers at old white men and women in these cases but the most aggressive and violent usually are young people.
    Last edited by Runenwächter; 2017-06-25 at 01:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Nothing interesting in that, click-bait. Anyway, gender threads aren't allowed according to Crissi.
    Lol like clockwork in a gay thread, as per usual .
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Romarii View Post
    Everywhere besides major cities. Racism and intolerance is extremely common in rural western towns. Not as rampant as say... the middle east, but still very intolerant of other cultures.
    Good thing we barely gave rural towns in the Netherlands.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    It doesnt take a majority to persecute a minority. It just takes an aggressive minority - in this case homophobes - and a majority that is either not willing or not able to reign in this aggressive minority. I wouldnt infer tacit approval from the unwillingness necessarily, often the problem is that various sensitive issues colide in these cases. It is easy to point your fingers at old white men and women in these cases but the most aggressive and violent usually are young people.
    This is N-Ireland though, lots of DUP voters.

I still don't believe being gay in the US is as bad as being black. Being black and gay would really suck. We have a 1 to 10 scale of discrimination in the US and a black gay would be pushing 10, I can't think of anything higher.

If you're a white gay you can easily fake being straight. Just scratch yourself from time to time, talk about power tools.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    It's not a gender thread o.O

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Same sex marriage is not legal in N-ireland, Its DUP country.
    I know. My point was that homophobia still happens where it is legal so why is it a surprise that is happens where it isn't? I mean, hateful people exist everywhere. It's unfortunate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    ... Who claims that homophobia no longer happens in 2017?
    Basement dwellers and bigots

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post

Please stop trying to shove this gaygenda down their unsullied, innocent, fragile throats. Thank you.
    It never ceased to amuse me that this is their choice of language. Seems a little projection-y eh?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I still don't believe being gay in the US is as bad as being black. Being black and gay would really suck. We have a 1 to 10 scale of discrimination in the US and a black gay would be pushing 10, I can't think of anything higher.
    Black transgender disabled gay man might hit the discrimination bingo.

If you're a white gay you can easily fake being straight. Just scratch yourself from time to time, talk about power tools.
    I've had this discussion with people about race vs homophobia. There is a combination of social acceptance of discrimination and ability to hide. I would make the argument that (At least ten years ago anyway) overt racism wasn't as accepted as overt homophobia. But people of color couldn't hide it so there was that.

Anyway that's neither here nor there really. But it makes for interesting discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a gender thread o.O
    To Crissi it is, same as I linked article from BBC about pay equality discussing the article, ofc for her it was gender discussion and thread was closed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Lol like clockwork in a gay thread, as per usual .
    Are you talking about your self?

Deleted
    To Crissi it is, same as I linked article from BBC about pay equality discussing the article, ofc for her it was gender discussion and thread was closed.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you talking about your self?
    Payed equality is about gender though

10+ Year Old Account
    Payed equality is about gender though
    When you actually think about it, everything is either about race or gender, or sexuality in this case.