Access to Draenor

Hi guys!

I was wondering something. Since WoD has been over and we left Draenor with our forces, is this "time-pocket" Draenor still accessible lorewise? If so how? If I recall well the Dark Portal was destroyed and therefore shut down, so are we only allow to go there through a mage portal? And if so, wouldn't that be a really complicated spell?

If anyone can help me on that matter, I'd be delighted!

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well beats me... when we entered the portal we were told it was a one-way ticket. But then a few moments later, portals were opened to send in builders to build a garrison. And then later more portals were opened to travel back and forth, making the whole 'stranded'-feel a bit stupid.

I thought that when we left, we left draenor for good.. taking who wanted to come along, with us and then saying our farewells... but aparently, lorewise, we can still go there? I have no idea...

Depends where the shard of time is. It's a piece that broke off from the Hour glass Kairoz made, it's what connected the 2 timelines together. Khadgar got a hold of it, and we don't know where it went after that. If he still has it, then the connection between the 2 timelines has been severed and we can't go back.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

There's no real justification, simply put. Blizzard trapped themselves by introducing Alternate-Universes into WoW. It was purely a filler expansion between Mists of Pandaria and Legion, and honestly didn't have any serious lore justification like we're used to. Hence trying to find logic or a reason why things are the way they are is useless. :-/
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

The only thing that happens in wod is we kill archimonde for good and guldan was bring back to life so legion could happens

10+ Year Old Account
    It's never explicitly addressed in game but the whole Grom and Yrel saying they'll be ready whenever we need them and the devs being adamant in the idea that this is actually an alternate reality of that time period brought alongside the current reality and not time travel or some kinda time pocket I'm guessing it is still accessible lorewise. With the only way being through mage portals but as to whether it's a complicated spell... well Khadgar summoned a bunch with no effort at the start of the expansion and then other mages opened them up in Talador, Gorgrond and on Ashran so I'm leaning towards no. Especially as it seems it took more effort for Khadgar to break a dam than summon a portal.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Thank you for the answers guys! I really wish Blizzard was clearer on the subject, as a rolist I really enjoy trying to explain all of the aspects of the lore, even if it's not particularly relevant or important.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    Depends where the shard of time is. It's a piece that broke off from the Hour glass Kairoz made, it's what connected the 2 timelines together. Khadgar got a hold of it, and we don't know where it went after that. If he still has it, then the connection between the 2 timelines has been severed and we can't go back.
    So basically, if we follow this idea, as long as the hourglass is safe somewhere, the two timelines are still connected, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MindCookie View Post
    So basically, if we follow this idea, as long as the hourglass is safe somewhere, the two timelines are still connected, right?
    The hour glass was destroyed. The only reason the 2 timelines were connected was cause Kairoz had the shard on Draenor. Since it was from our timeline, it connected the 2, if the shard was brought back to our timeline, the connection was severed. If it's still on draenor, then the 2 timelines would still be connected.

The hour glass was destroyed. The only reason the 2 timelines were connected was cause Kairoz had the shard on Draenor. Since it was from our timeline, it connected the 2, if the shard was brought back to our timeline, the connection was severed. If it's still on draenor, then the 2 timelines would still be connected.
    Hmmm, I see. Well, I assume it's somewhere safe on Draenor then haha!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MickM View Post
    Well beats me... when we entered the portal we were told it was a one-way ticket. But then a few moments later, portals were opened to send in builders to build a garrison. And then later more portals were opened to travel back and forth, making the whole 'stranded'-feel a bit stupid.

I thought that when we left, we left draenor for good.. taking who wanted to come along, with us and then saying our farewells... but aparently, lorewise, we can still go there? I have no idea...
    I think one of their earlier ideas was that you had to do a LOT of work in order to open up a portal to Azeroth again. Of course, with Hearthstones and such, I guess it wasn't much of a point.

The entire premise behind the expansion was sub par.

"Doors, once opened, never close" in the words of Cho'gall.

Or more accurately, once you carve out a doorway between worlds, you can close it, but never remove it.

A Dark Portal is very difficult to make. But the portal is only the structure that keeps the rift held open wide. That rift is always there, because the connection between Draenor and Azeroth is a permanent one. The ley lines of these worlds now connect through the Nether. That's also why the Black Morass became the Blasted lands, by the taint of Hellfire Peninsula spreading outwards from the Dark Portal.

Khadgar knows this best of all. He saw the portal's structure blown up in Warcraft 2, but still a rift remained that the orcs could pass through. So he went to the other side, to close that rift, and remained in Outland. But even after he locked that rift shut, it eventually was opened again. A Dark Portal connection cannot be undone.

That's also why Khadgar was able to open a portal from our Garrison to Azeroth, despite the Dark Portal on Draenor being destroyed. The rift between worlds remains, even if there is no structure to open it wide enough for armies to pass. The worlds' ley lines are connected. And that's all a skilled mage needs to connect back home.

So yeah, you can still go to Past Draenor. And you can still go to Outland. These are existing doorways. You may close the door. you may even seal it shut. But the doorway itself cannot be removed. And currently neither of those doors is locked to a mage with the needed knowledge.
    Last edited by Caerule; 2017-06-25 at 05:40 PM.

Whatever happened in WoD times stays in Wod times. Move on. Nobody wanna talk about it!

from everything that was said, WoD draenor was physically brought to our universe and should now be a part of our universe. no piece of the hourglass required, that's a permanent change.

then there's the connection that was made with the dark portal, that's a permanent link between the worlds.

so, with it being a part of our universe now, and the dark portal's connection, that should mean we can get there without much issue. the portal's connection should mean that teleporting and making portals to it is much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by MindCookie View Post
    Hmmm, I see. Well, I assume it's somewhere safe on Draenor then haha!
    Actually, Yrel is in possession of Maraad's hammer. If the shard of time just being on Draenor connected our timelines,rather than it having power to do so, than maybe the hammer being there as well does the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    from everything that was said, WoD draenor was physically brought to our universe and should now be a part of our universe. no piece of the hourglass required, that's a permanent change.

then there's the connection that was made with the dark portal, that's a permanent link between the worlds.

so, with it being a part of our universe now, and the dark portal's connection, that should mean we can get there without much issue. the portal's connection should mean that teleporting and making portals to it is much easier.
    Draenor, is still in it's own timeline, the "pulled" thing is a player creation theory to try and explain the expansion because people can't understand alternate universes apparently. It has it's own universe, with it's own Azeroth, and everything else. The Dark portal was destroyed, the link was severed, the only thing connecting the 2 timelines then was the shard, and it disappeared.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Vision of Time could connect more than just those 2 universes. Kairoz was planning on using it to gather orcs from more than just WoD-Draenor before Garrosh killed him.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is even possible, that one of garrison followers, Dagg ogre what we can find in Frostfire Ridge, is in Azeroth and is located in rogue class hall?

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    How is even possible, that one of garrison followers, Dagg ogre what we can find in Frostfire Ridge, is in Azeroth and is located in rogue class hall?
    FYI, Dagg is also in Legionfall main hub, hiding under the water along with turtles (but shhh, Dagg sneaky !). Dagg's origins were never mentioned, as far as I'm aware...he could be from Azeroth originally and he crossed the portal to Draenor...or he didn't care about rebuilding Draenor and just went on his adventures.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    Because using one follower as a joke is the best they can do.
    Adding Yrel and Grom, would have people asking why not more Draenei and Orcs joined the fight..