10+ Year Old Account

recycling minerals in food

how common is mixing your cut nails into food to recycle valuable zinc from it ? also eating eggshells for calcium

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably not very common.

No offense, even just reading this and picturing it in my head gave me nausea.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    Probably not very common.

No offense, even just reading this and picturing it in my head gave me nausea.
    It's sick what other people in the world do eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    how common is mixing your cut nails into food to recycle valuable zinc from it ? also eating eggshells for calcium
    Wtf man. Cut nails can injure your esophagus, why would anyone eat that? Or do you eat glass to get your minerals?

Very common, I do my grocery shopping at Home Depot.

10+ Year Old Account
    ive been reading sport forums for heavylifting and whatnot and thats what people apparently do

10+ Year Old Account
    If you live in a first or even second world country there is absolutely no reason to put random crap into your food that isn't meant to be eaten.

If you are that concerned with minerals then you need to either adjust your diet or take supplements.

If you have to eat eggshells or your cut nails in order to get minerals there is something very very very wrong with your diet.

- - - Updated - - -

ive been reading sport forums for heavylifting and whatnot and thats what people apparently do
    Some of them also take steroids or other illegal supplements. I wouldn't rely on forums (including this one) for what is essentially medical advice. Talk to your doctor or a nutritionist if you are concerned.

Zinc is easy to get from food, please don't eat your nail clippings.
    http://www.health.com/health/gallery....html/view-all

The link has foods high in zinc, plus the next gallery is foods high in calcium. No more eggshells!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    It's sick what other people in the world do eh?
    I wouldn't say sick... just, creative.

I guess whatever floats your boat is fine by me. If OP does that and hurt nobody, I don't have a problem with it.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Haven't heard too much about using nails in food, but I've seen a few that get into egg shells for calcium.

In reality, using egg shells for calcium isn't particularly great. It is almost entirely calcium carbonate which is the same stuff in multi-vitamins that doctors tell you is a waste of money...and, no, just because it comes from egg shells doesn't make it any better. The problem with calcium carbonate is two-fold:
    - when you see the percentage of RDA it satisfies, it is done incorrectly based on total weight, but calcium carbonate is only about 30% calcium
    - your digestive system has a really, really hard time breaking it down...so you don't get a whole lot of the calcium anyways

If you want a good source of calcium, stick to things like milk, cheese, kale, sardines, broccoli, etc. The calcium in those foods are much easier for your body to absorb.

I would guess that the story about any zinc in your fingernails would, at best, be the same. Zinc is plentiful in most foods sources (in order of best to still pretty good: oyster, crab, lobster, most meats (including poultry), legumes, vegetables, and nuts), so it is unlikely that you will run into a zinc deficiency unless your diet is almost entirely composed of highly refined goods.

don't forget to eat your own boogers because they work like a built-in vaccination system.

Bad shit gets caught and killed in mucus, you eat it and digest it so your body develops resistance, the bad shit that doesn't get caught you're already resistant against.

We really, really would benefit more from a campaign to encourage eating boogers than any campaign to get a governing authority permission to inject you with shit you can't avoid by law. It would be easier too but humans gotta be complicated fuckers