Poll: Does the low lvling experience need a revamp next expansion?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    no thx no more old zones revamped , its boring as hell

Deleted
    Only thing they could change is Northrend + outland and maybe the expansion order.

In my opinion for next expansion they should make it so that for 60-80 you do óne of the various expanion continents and for 80-100 you do another. This could be done with the current scaling mechanic, only thing that is needed for most newer zones is some text changes.

Northrend & Outland are in due for a rework, this could include high-level content like bringing Wintergrasp up to date and adding WQ's to these zones for level 120 characters. But this should be more minimalistic then the Cataclysm rework.

Result: a better leveling experience.

I'd love to see a proper revamp after the cataclysm disaster that ruined most zones with its destruction, but I very much doubt that Blizzard is interested in doing so as the Cata revamp wasn't that well received. It sucks how inconsistent the timelines are during the leveling experience, with Varian and Garrosh still being the faction leaders and Deathwing the main threat where a lot of NPC's still talk about. I can't see how they could possibly fix this mess without having to use a lot of resources, by which you might aswell consider making a WoW 2.

Revamp could be great, but it depends on 3 things.

1. It would need to be combined with World Quest technology, so that max level players also get to enjoy it.

2. There should be a way to explore the old version, such as through the Caverns of Time.

3. There needs to be some form of dynamic leveling, so that people can play through a zone's story without out-leveling it, and can pick to level where they please.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prothynyas View Post
    no thx no more old zones revamped , its boring as hell
    What is boring about it? i dont get this motivation.

The only revamp I'd want to see is a revamp to the Blood elf and Draenei questing areas and cities... and even then, I would want them to put in a bronze dragon to experience that shit as it was prior to the revamp just in case, even if it removes flying. I don't want them to remove shit like they did with Vanilla... I quite liked a lot of the Vanilla zones better. Western Plaguelands was completely ruined with the Cata revamp... turned into some bullshit Horde v Alliance zone instead of scourge infested. Andorhol used to be amazing... not anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    The only revamp I'd want to see is a revamp to the Blood elf and Draenei questing areas and cities... and even then, I would want them to put in a bronze dragon to experience that shit as it was prior to the revamp just in case, even if it removes flying. I don't want them to remove shit like they did with Vanilla... I quite liked a lot of the Vanilla zones better. Western Plaguelands was completely ruined with the Cata revamp... turned into some bullshit Horde v Alliance zone instead of scourge infested. Andorhol used to be amazing... not anymore.
    That is the whole idea of an MMORPG a living moving world, there should be zones you dislike more as before as should other zones be an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    1. It would need to be combined with World Quest technology, so that max level players also get to enjoy it.
    No. Please no. There would be nothing worse for me if I just did a WQ or two in Tanaris, and the next I'd have to go to Winterspring, or worse, EPL. The original continents are just way too big for that.

3. There needs to be some form of dynamic leveling, so that people can play through a zone's story without out-leveling it, and can pick to level where they please.
    You can already lock your leveling. Visit Behsten in Stormwind or Slahtz in Orgrimmar to turn off and on XP gain. (Heheh. Behsten Slahtz. "Best in slots".)

Not a revamp persé, but the leveling needs to change.
    Imo a system where you have zones scaling in level ranges like 1-20, 20-40, 40-60 and so forth is mandatory going forward. Let people choose the zones they want to fully play through instead of having to abandon a zone halfway because of xp gains plummeting.

Blizzard destroyed leveling with the cata revamp. The cata revamp was aimed to please people who hate leveling. What they didnt understand is the people who wanted leveling made easier actually wanted leveling removed altogether. So the people who liked leveling hated the cata revamp & the people who hated leveling hated the cata revamp because leveling still existed. So they pleased no-one. Then they just offered boosts for $60 to max level.

its the same thing with outland. Outland is a fun place to level if you like leveling. But you have people trying to ruin that fun because they hate to level. Its depressing.

Btw, they badly damaged leveling with wrath because they gave everyone massive health pools at the start so that no-one died. Wrath leveling is pretty unplayable but then they utterly destroyed the system in cata.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I hope Sargeras actually destroys Azeroth. It gets blown up in a shock ending on Argus. Then they segue to WoW II, with a better engine, graphics, customization, boss fight mechanics, etc. The new customization lets you play any sub-race. Many key characters survive, and the new destroyed Azeroth has hints of the old Azeroth. Horde and Alliance become one faction to defend themselves. Throughout WoW II we look for the Dragonballs to summon Shenron and wish for Azeroth back.

I can see the CG trailer now, a Tauren with a totem pole is surrounded by Demons when suddenly a roaring bear comes out of nowhere followed by the crack of a blunderbuss; the camera pans over and it's homeboy from the vanilla CG trailer.
    Last edited by Polygons; 2017-06-25 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygons View Post
    I hope Sargeras actually destroys Azeroth. It gets blown up in a shock ending on Argus. Then they segue to WoW II, with a better engine, graphics, customization, boss fight mechanics, etc. The new customization lets you play any sub-race. Many key characters survive, and the new destroyed Azeroth has hints of the old Azeroth. Horde and Alliance become one faction to defend themselves. Throughout WoW II we look for the Dragonballs to summon Shenron and wish for Azeroth back.
    that escalated quickly

Blizzard sells character boost. They will never update anything old now, because that would mean less boost sold, and thats money.

Deleted
    Just do WoW 2.

New engine, less limitations, new experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    Cataclysm "failed" (if you call what they put out a failure) because of the shit story and disjointed premise behind it.
    You're not wrong that the story was disjointed, incomplete and horrible, but that is NOT why mass millions left the game. Many left at the beginning because content that previously had been very accessible by the masses had now become TBC-style hardmode (Cataclysm Heroic Dungeons prior to nerf) and the end game outside of raiding was thin due to the sheer amount of resources they piled into the Old World Revamp.

Same exact reason WoD failed as an expansion. Lack of meaningful endgame content due to too many resources being piled into Garrisons, a single, shallow feature that ultimately brought no meaningful long term content to the game, just like the Old World Revamp. When you undertake a piece of content so large and/or technically complicated such as the Garrison feature or the old zones being entirely redone with new quests added, you take tons of time away from what could have been used for max level content, which is, whether you like it or not, what KEEPS people playing the game. It just has a higher retention rate. It's that simple.

The reason Legion is working out is because Blizzard realized the leveling zones didn't have to become irrelevant once you reached max level and began getting dungeon gear. They have almost every quest, even, relevant through the World Quest system. Even if you don't agree with it or like this particular type of content, there is more to DO in Legion post max level than there ever has been, period. This even includes MoP, which had a very sizable amount to do once you hit level 90.

Cataclysm and WoD had one thing in common: Dry end game. Lack of content once you hit your max level. That is the sole reason why they largely failed and are widely disliked. They had their merits, too. I played through both of them. The launch content in each expansion was very good, and the WoD leveling experience on the whole was better than Legion's, in my opinion, but once you got your dungeon gear and ran your weekly raids with your guild, that was it. It was over. Might as well log out or run old raids for the millionth time, because there was not much else.

Nah, that won't happen again. They would probably rather put time into making a new chapter in the Warcraft franchise. It's sad to say, but the engine WoW runs on is too dated for them to put out content at a quick basis. You have a much better chance at them pushing out a WoW 2 or a related Warcraft mmo (like say an mmo based around the era of the movie - Warcraft 1-2ish)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I sure hope so.

And I hope that it'll be made to deal with local threats, rather than tying it heavily to a certain expansion.
    I think this is the big issue with the Cata revamp. The 1-60 grind dated itself too quickly while, credit where due, the Vanilla 1-60 timeline worked regardless of where in the TBC/WotLK timeline you were. Your character was starting out shortly after the dust finally settled from the Third War, a bright-eyed adventurer with a head full of dreams, and pockets empty enough to motivate you to chase them. The problems you dealt with per-zone were tailored to that zone, giving each a distinct identity, rather than tying into an endgame storyline that quickly lost steam as you detoured through two storylines completely unrelated to the main storyline you just spent 60 levels working through and which became heavily disjointed once you got there.

DKs had a similar issue, with the starting storyline for death knights pumping you up to go to Northrend and take your revenge on the Scourge, but the storyline quickly lost steam because you were dumped into Outland with no plot connection or lore reason to be there beyond the devs wanting you to take an extra ten levels to learn your class (something that could have been facilitated by starting death knights at 65 and letting them out into the world at 70, using the longer leveling time to more thoroughly teach players the ins and outs of their class). Demon Hunters' starting experience learned from both of these, feeding you directly into the main storyline after you finished your starter zone.

Any potential revamp would, similarly, need to keep itself timeless. Go back to adventurers just adventuring, making names for themselves, and scale Azeroth and Kalimdor so they can carry you from 1 to 85, letting you get right into the Cataclysm zones or skip them as you will by talking with Zidormi to choose between the live version and potential revamp, then you can follow the storyline properly from there, as things do follow a more logical story progression from that point, ass-pulled timetravel plot aside.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by epec View Post
    Nah, that won't happen again. They would probably rather put time into making a new chapter in the Warcraft franchise. It's sad to say, but the engine WoW runs on is too dated for them to put out content at a quick basis. You have a much better chance at them pushing out a WoW 2 or a related Warcraft mmo (like say an mmo based around the era of the movie - Warcraft 1-2ish)
    Maybe they even have a team which is working for WoW 2 for a longer time already. Maybe they had that big interest in a Nostalrius meeting because of getting knowledge about what is make playing Vanilla again that special (not writing that as a Vanilla Fanboy). The revamp of all the old zones only makes sense when they have new code without all those limitation like outdated combat system or old graphics engine. They are planning years ahead. Even when I'm not a big fan, Legion made many people happy. Maybe another expansion will do, too. But one day, there'll be the point when they have to bring WoW 2 or quit this long story of success...

cata....flash back...... OH GOD PLEASE NOOOOO