Page 52 of 60 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcs View Post
    Why would Castille keep reaching if he didn't intend to shoot the cop?
    Because he was just ordered to retrieve something (license and registration) by the cop?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    I don't think it's been posted.

I don't usually like Trevor Noa, but I think this video is a great dissection of the events.
    Though the final point is, I think, misconstrued There's more of a reasonable doubt about what actually happened: he could be actually reaching, while saying otherwise. It could be, according the the proof standards. It's just such an unlikely scenario, that I find the wagon circling around the cop, that many people express, disgusting.
    I actually found it quite disgusting Trevor choose to go for an appeal to emotion rather than talk about the actual facts of the case you can see people discussing in this thread.

He even spent two different days talking about the same event in segments that were neither trying to be funny nor correct. Which is really been my biggest gripe with Trevor Noah for a long time is that he does what many figure a stereotypical liberal would do and is trying to turn the show into everything about race, and by race I mean African Americans, with a side helping of LGBT issues.

The great thing about Jon Stewart wasn't he wasn't so one sided. Unlike Trevor or many other people in this thread, he would support either side depending on the facts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    The great thing about Jon Stewart wasn't he wasn't so one sided.
    I'm sorry, but not every issue has two reasonable sides.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I'm sorry, but not every issue has two reasonable sides.
    For the pro and cons on issues like whether or not we should nuke the entire world I can agree.

But seeing as this is a 60 page thread of people arguing back and forth, along with the jury not finding the cop guilty, it would be unreasonable to claim that circumstance here.

10+ Year Old Account
    But seeing as this is a 60 page thread of people arguing back and forth, along with the jury not finding the cop guilty, it would be unreasonable to claim that circumstance here.
    And had the internet existed at the time, there would have been 60 page threads arguing back and forth on lynching uppity black people, along with the jury finding the lynchers not guilty.

The mere fact that some people insist on holding a given position does not make that position reasonable or endow it with any other kind of merit.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    The NRA is a racist organization for not speaking up.

The officer is a punk who should have never made it out of the academy. There was a fucking child in the car. To reiterate, even his partner was left in shock, the one person who should have been in sync with the killer.

People who act like jurors are immaculate are willfully ignorant or hypocrites. Considering the same fucking we a jury somehow acquitted Cosby...

Sometimes even if you do the right thing you still can't fucking win in America.
    Cosby wasnt acquitted. The jury couldnt reach a verdict based on the evidence presented which isnt surprising in a delayed report sex assault case. Stuff in the media doesnt count and juries are instructed to completely ignore anything not presented in court.

Not sure how this makes NRA racist. Gun rights werent an issue in this trial. This was criminal trial which is completely on the government. The only way the NRA could have been involved would be if they were defending the officer somehow. What did you expect them to do and how would that remotely benefit their membership or the issues they represent.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    And had the internet existed at the time, there would have been 60 page threads arguing back and forth on lynching uppity black people, along with the jury finding the lynchers not guilty.

The mere fact that some people insist on holding a given position does not make that position reasonable or endow it with any other kind of merit.
    That's true, but the same could be said for either side.

The fact that the jury found the cop not guilty would mean the scales are tipping more towards the people arguing the cop should be jailed are the unreasonable ones at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcs View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Irrelevant? He has NO clue what Castille's intentions are, he may have said that.. Then pulled out his weapon, shot the officer dead and sped off before his partner could even register what was going on. Just because its unlikely, doesn't mean it's impossible, and it becomes more possible every moment you say "Stop reaching" and they keep reaching.

- - - Updated - - -
    If he pulled out his weapon and shot the officer, the other officer would have shot him dead well before he could've sped off. This isn't a movie. I mean, he shouldn't have kept reaching, but at no point should an officer's first reaction be to put 4 rounds in your chest for that, especially when a child is present. Every factor present in this situation points to the officer in question being 100% at fault.

The NRA is a racist organization for not speaking up.
    The NRA released a statement literally the day after the event occurred and people still complained. They said the matter needed to be thoroughly investigated and wanted to wait for the facts to come in.

How racistly despicably for them to not immediacy jump to the black man's side right?

10+ Year Old Account
    The NRA released a statement literally the day after the event occurred and people still complained. They said the matter needed to be thoroughly investigated and wanted to wait for the facts to come in.

How racistly despicably for them to not immediacy jump to the black man's side right?
    The NRA is the same organization that couldn't wait to open its stupid mouth after the Sandy Hook tragedy but when it comes to a black man declaring his gun like he is supposed to and getting shot over it they suddenly want to wait for more information to come out? Quick to open their mouth when a mass shooting takes place but are careful when a minority gets in trouble?

They can get out of here with that selective bullshit.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2017-06-26 at 01:13 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The NRA is the same organization that couldn't wait to open its stupid mouth after the Sandy Hook tragedy but when it comes to a black man declaring his gun like he is supposed to and getting shot over it they suddenly want to wait for more information to come out?

They can get out of here with that selective bullshit.
    Please explain how they are "racist' and what you expected them to do in this situation. Unlike Sandy Hook, no one was clamoring that gun rights needed to be infringed upon. This shooting has zero to do with the NRA. Regardless of which side of this trial you put yourself, no one was claiming Philando shouldn't have been able to have a gun. The issue is how the cop reacted to this disclosure and how he reacted to the cops instructions. Seems like youre just being emotional and wanting to cast blame to feel better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by triplesdsu View Post
    Please explain how they are "racist' and what you expected them to do in this situation. Unlike Sandy Hook, no one was clamoring that gun rights needed to be infringed upon. This shooting has zero to do with the NRA. Regardless of which side of this trial you put yourself, no one was claiming Philando shouldn't have been able to have a gun. The issue is how the cop reacted to this disclosure and how he reacted to the cops instructions. Seems like youre just being emotional and wanting to cast blame to feel better.
    Its in the interests of the NRA to advocate and protect the right to carry is it not? Which includes a gun owner not being shot for declaring their firearm, no? That means officers not treating gun owners like active shooters. So one would think that NRA would would be say, "hold up, so he declared his firearm and was still shot of over it? What about the 2nd Amendment?"

You're damn right I'm emotional about this case but who am I casting blame on except for a fucked up judicial system? Don't say I'm blaming the NRA because I am not, I'm talking about their selective bullshit when it comes to advocating the rights of gun owners.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Its in the interests of the NRA to advocate and protect the right to carry is it not? Which includes a gun owner not being shot for declaring their firearm, no? That means officers not treating gun owners like active shooters. So one would think that NRA would would be say, "hold up, so he declared his firearm and was still shot of over it? What about the 2nd Amendment?"

You're damn right I'm emotional about this case but who am I casting blame on except for a fucked up judicial system? Don't say I'm blaming the NRA because I am not, I'm talking about their selective bullshit when it comes to advocating the rights of gun owners.
    Except he didnt get shot for declaring his firearm. his declaration got a very nonchalant, ok but dont reach for it response. Its all the digging around and his continued digging around even after being given commands at gun point that got him shot. Pretty sure the NRA doesnt teach you do ignore a cops directions when you declare your firearm. I admit, Yanez should have been more clear with his direction.

That point aside, how would the NRA say "hold up." When anti-2A legislation is discussed or proposed they speak against it because thats how our system of goverment (you reach out to your respresentatives) and they filed lawsuits if such laws are passed. As there wasnt a NRA representative at the stop, being professional and waiting for the facts (since the overwhelming amount of the time the cops are in the right) was the right thing to do. When the facts came out and Yanez was charged, there again was no reason to speak up. They have no role whatsoever in prosecution and as prosecution is done in the court room, issuing statements during a trail is foolish. And when the jury reached their verdict, the matter was settled. Issuing a statement crying about a verdict is childish.

Im also curious, do you get this upset when other murder suspects get away with it or aren't prosecuted because of the burden of proof in our judicial system. Because I assure, they're are plenty free among you.

The first thing that came to mind after watching that video was Sean Hannity's explanation on how to deal with the cops.

"If you tell the cop you have a gun and do as they say you'll be fine"

Told the cop he had a firearm, went to grab his ID like the officer asked. Look what happened. Must be a problem with the cop then, but for some reason cops can do no wrong.
    Last edited by Not A Cat; 2017-06-26 at 03:28 AM.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Well, that was quick:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/p...death-48279789

The mother of Philando Castile, a black motorist killed by a Minnesota police officer last year, has reached a nearly $3 million settlement in his death, according to an announcement Monday by her attorneys and the Minneapolis suburb that employed the officer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Not A Cat View Post
    The first thing that came to mind after watching that video was Sean Hannity's explanation on how to deal with the cops.

Told the cop he had a firearm, went to grab his ID like the officer asked. Look what happened. Must be a problem with the cop then, but for some reason cops can do no wrong.
    The cop 100% overreacted and I don't understand how he could have been found not guilty given the footage, but I wasn't in the trial....I'm still disgusted though.

That said, I feel that Philando Castile could have stopped reaching for whatever he was reaching for and talked it through with the cop without getting shot. Maybe asked if he could step out of the car to have the cop reach for the back pocket where his ID is or something. I am not blaming him for what happened, just putting it out there that other options were available.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The cop 100% overreacted and I don't understand how he could have been found not guilty given the footage, but I wasn't in the trial....I'm still disgusted though.

That said, I feel that Philando Castile could have stopped reaching for whatever he was reaching for and talked it through with the cop without getting shot. Maybe asked if he could step out of the car to have the cop reach for the back pocket where his ID is or something. I am not blaming him for what happened, just putting it out there that other options were available.
    Too bad that I'm so white even snow call me whithey... But I don't chance it with US cops, turn off the ignition, get the keys out, put both hands out the window without holding a cell phone or nothing. And when he approach, he's free to put handcuffs on if he's a scared little bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Not A Cat View Post

He did not do as he was told. Stop god damn lying because the facts don't agree with your racist bigotry.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Because it's reasonable for the cop to have believed Castile was pulling out his gun.

The prosecution argued “unreasonable fear cannot justify the use of deadly force. The use of deadly force must be objectively reasonable and necessary, given the totality of the circumstances.”

Looking at the situation after the fact is not the same thing as evaluating actions taken during the situation as it occurred.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Since y'all (mostly y'all) are just talking outta your ass. There is some knowledge for you.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...hootings-2016/

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/fact...cb16-ff01.html

As you can clearly see, the (bad apples) cops shoot a lot of people each years, but per capita, they do shoot way more minorities than whites.

Enjoy your hidden racism.