The boy who cried wolf

So I found this scene in DS9 interesting. The two different interpretations of the story "the boy who cried wolf." Which interpretation do you think is correct?

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    some capitalist thought "noobs will like this" and they did. This is what you zombies are about. They are easily summon able.

The first one. If he lied about bears attacking, they still wouldn't believe him with the wolf.

10+ Year Old Account
    To clarify, you're asking if either:

1) If you lie all the time, nobody will believe you, even when you're telling the truth.
    or
    2) Never tell the same lie twice.

is correct?

Well, lying all the time is morally questionable, and yes, nobody will believe you if you lie all the time.

Lying all the time, but "never telling the same lie twice" i.e never getting caught is also highly morally questionable.

I would say that the first is more correct, but the second is not incorrect, speaking without moral bias.

On a side note, you should definitely have tagged @Elim Garak
    Last edited by Zethras; 2017-06-26 at 12:38 AM.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

I like the Chicken Little story better.

Quote Originally Posted by Naadir View Post
    some capitalist thought "noobs will like this" and they did. This is what you zombies are about. They are easily summon able.
    What are you even on about?

DS9 is best startrek
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So I found this scene in DS9 interesting. The two different interpretations of the story "the boy who cried wolf." Which interpretation do you think is correct?
    Both interpretations are correct within their subjective frames of reference of the two characters. The question isn't which interpretation is correct, but it is rather meant to highlight that morality is subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    It does make sense that the first time you tell a lie it is most effective, smart liars will continuously modify their lies in order to maintain effectiveness. The major downside to this is that eventually you diverge too far from reality.

Perhaps the best liars would be those who can cloak their lies in truth.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Perhaps the best liars would be those who can cloak their lies in truth.
    Garak was pretty good at that.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Well, lying all the time is morally questionable, and yes, nobody will believe you if you lie all the time.
    Nobody will believe you if you get caught lying. Obviously the lie was successful the first time. The kid just overplayed his hand.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    What are you even on about?
    You do very well. Just think, believe and do what you are currently doing, you're a Zombie.

You do very well. Just think, believe and do what you are currently doing, you're a Zombie.
    Have you ever attempted the art of constructing coherent sentences, contextualized in an understandable framework that makes sense to people who aren't living in your edgy mind?

This is basically bullshit morality.

Not lying to people that are close to you is fairly reasonable, but being a skilled liar with others is an incredibly important social skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Both interpretations are correct within their subjective frames of reference of the two characters. The question isn't which interpretation is correct, but it is rather meant to highlight that morality is subjective.
    But couldn't we decide, morally, that morality isn't subjective? This is literally what's happening today isn't it? We can't be sure what's right or wrong, so we might as well decide what's right and be sure about it, making my morality objective because I subjectively choose to make it objective. It's in infinite flux.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post

Not lying to people that are close to you is fairly reasonable, but being a skilled liar with others is an incredibly important social skill.
    Yah, it's like we have to teach everyone to be a liar, show them the actual reality, but we're only going to do that if it's profitable for us, and it isn't. The main factor right now is hypnotized slaves going out of control, they don't even know they're hypnotized, that half their brain belongs to another ego, can do things they don't even see, and fill the memory gaps with online bullshit.

Those 2 hours you spent at Website B, you were really programming for a secret intelligence agency. You're not even on mmochampion, you're sending written messages to a counselor who's trained to kill you if you get too far off your hook.

exactly. some fucking jesus started plaguing the internets with a side operation of hypnotism, he's gonna be found out and exterminated, if he wasn't found already, and we can all go back to eating bowls of "ice cream" and "cheeseburgers"

so much damage, like xenryusho's signature, to repair... /sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post

The thing is people who lie all the time often don't realize that people see through their BS because no one calls them on it. They THINK their lies are working. This is part of the lesson being taught.