Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

'You're not welcome in Sweden': row between Sweden Democrat and Moderate politician

A row erupted after a senior Swedish Democrat tweeted that politician Kahin Ahmed, who wrote that the party's anti-immigration ideology had no place in the suburbs, was "not welcome in Sweden".
    Ahmed, a representative of the Moderate party in the Rinkeby/Kista suburb north of Stockholm, criticized organizers of the Järva politics festival in the area for inviting Jimmie Åkesson, the leader of the Sweden Democrat party, as one of the speakers along with Sweden's other party leaders.

“It would have been better had they applied our suburb's anti-racist ideology which is based on the fact that racist parties do not belong in the suburbs,” he wrote in an opinion piece on Nyheter24.

Referring to a series of previous statements by high-profile Sweden Democrats, including that Sami people and Jews can't be considered true Swedes if they don't “assimilate”, Ahmed continued: “This is racism which does not belong in a democratic society, and therefore does not belong in Järva either.”

The opinion piece carried the headline “You are not welcome in the suburbs, Jimmie Åkesson!”

“And you are not welcome in Sweden, Kahin Ahmed!” tweeted Sweden Democrat party secretary Richard Jomshof on Friday, sparking a debate which lasted throughout the weekend in Sweden.

Ahmed said he had received threats after Jomshof's tweet.

“I have lived here for 26 years. I have a master's in sociology and I have worked and paid taxes for 18 years. It is a scandal that a party secretary of a party in parliament attacks a citizen like this. That I should not be able to express my opinions without being confronted with this hatred is frightening,” he told the Aftonbladet tabloid.

Jomshof defended his comments in an interview with the Dagens Nyheter newspaper.

“He clearly does not understand how Swedish democracy works and writes an opinion piece that contains errors. It is rather provocative, includes insults and lies. I think it is rather cheeky that a person who comes to Sweden tries to tell Swedes how to live their lives,” he said.

“I think it is quite provocative that an individual tries to stop a parliamentary party to convey its message on various issues. If you don't understand how Swedish democracy works, perhaps you should think about what you are doing in Sweden at all.”

“It is provocative when someone who isn't Swedish comes to Sweden and tries to restrict Swedish freedom of expression,” he added. Asked if he did not consider someone who has lived in the country for 26 years Swedish, he said: “No, I don't think he is Swedish.”

“I'm trying to show how unreasonable his writing is by using the same choice of words.”

The row between a Sweden Democrat and a Moderate politician put further pressure on Moderate party leader Anna Kinberg Batra, who earlier this year appeared to open the door to increased cooperation with the other party, and several called for her to strongly denounce Jomshof's comments about her colleague.

“In Sweden there's freedom of expression for everyone, even when you disagree. Wanting to throw somebody out for their opinion on the other hand, does not belong here,” she tweeted on Sunday.

Many criticized both representatives, arguing that both Jomshof and Ahmed were wrong.

“Even if (Jomshof's) reply is incredibly stupid (Ahmed's) is not better. Two unpleasant things that should be beneath anyone elected by the people,” tweeted Johan Ingerö of thinktank Timbro.

“Cry me a river," tweeted Sweden Democrat MP Linus Bylund however. "The headline should be 'Moderate politician wants to restrict Jimmie Åkesson's right to move freely in his own country'. Silly."

https://www.thelocal.se/20170626/you...te-politicians

These people are insane! They were arguing that a democratically elected party should not be invited to political events because they don't agree with their ideology! Anti-democrats like Ahmed are not welcome in the nordics!

10+ Year Old Account
    So wanting immigrants to respect your culture and society by assimilating into it when they move there to suck at your welfare teat is racism?
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    So wanting immigrants to respect your culture and society by assimilating into it when they move there to suck at your welfare teat is racism?
    Apparently so! They're insane.

You have not read three bloody paragraphs into the OP. Swedish "Democrats" claim even Sami are not welcome and they lived there before Swedes ever did.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    You have not read three bloody paragraphs into the OP. Swedish "Democrats" claim even Sami are not welcome and they lived there before Swedes ever did.
    it says they are not considered true swedes

Interesting. You could have made your point without the "herp derp, them darkies are just leeches on society" bullshit, but I guess you wanted to invalidate what you were trying to say before you even finished saying it. Bravo, good sir. Bravo.

You'll notice in the article where the guy had been living and working in Sweden for 18 years. If that doesn't make a person Swedish, I don't know what would. Although you might not have noticed it, because the OP conveniently forgot to strategically bold that section of the article he copy/pasted. And I think that most rational people would agree with those who are saying both men were acting like idiots in this situation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Interesting. You could have made your point without the "herp derp, them darkies are just leeches on society" bullshit, but I guess you wanted to invalidate what you were trying to say before you even finished saying it. Bravo, good sir. Bravo.

You'll notice in the article where the guy had been living and working in Sweden for 18 years. If that doesn't make a person Swedish, I don't know what would. Although you might not have noticed it, because the OP conveniently forgot to strategically bold that section of the article he copy/pasted. And I think that most rational people would agree with those who are saying both men were acting like idiots in this situation.
    people dont even consider me to be swedish despite being born in sweden and one of my parents being swedish lol and im white. im czech to them so why would they consider an immigrant swedish if they don't consider people born in sweden swedish even when they have one swedish parent?
    Last edited by mmocff78b1feb2; 2017-06-26 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post

I've lived and worked in Sweden for 4 years and probably will continue to do so until i'm old and die. At no point will i consider myself or expect anyone else to consider me Swedish. I was born in the UK to British parents. I'm British.

What has become Sweden is really sad

Still a far off memory of how it used to be.

I must remember not to post stupid stuff when very drunk.

Deleted
    You do know the Sami's are a recognized minority?
    To say that they are Swedish is to ignore and diminish their rights.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've never understood this obsession with wanting to claim someones ethnicity for yourself when you are clearly not part of the ethnicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Matoni View Post
    people dont even consider me to be swedish despite being born in sweden and one of my parents being swedish lol and im white. im czech to them so why would they consider an immigrant swedish if they don't consider people born in sweden swedish even when they have one swedish parent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gully Man View Post
    I've lived and worked in Sweden for 4 years and probably will continue to do so until i'm old and die. At no point will i consider myself or expect anyone else to consider me Swedish. I was born in the UK to British parents. I'm British.
    What I'm reading here is that it wouldn't matter how hard Muslim immigrants tried to integrate, because they'll forever be considered outsiders, despite protests to the contrary from shitheads demanding that they conform or gtfo. So what motivation do these immigrants have to try to fit in again?

Both are acting stupid. Or put in another way, both are expressing their freedom of speech.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Funny thing is Jomshof himself isnt swedish by that logic since he´s father is from Finland.
    Last edited by Raven; 2017-06-26 at 10:19 AM.

Deleted
    This is news? Shit like this happens on the daily in Belgium.

That's the regressive left for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharein View Post
    That's the regressive left for you.
    The Moderates is a right-wing party.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Funny thing is Jomshof himself isnt swedish by that logic since he´s father is from Finland.
    One could say that anyone who votes for SD is not a true Swede. But I don't really care about that.

(and it was a joke)
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Is Sweden really that bad?

Yeah, Jomshof is a nazi nutcase though. Who cares?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Is Sweden really that bad?
    In what way? It's two morons "batteling" on Twitter.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to 2017. Where you have to give up your own culture because people get butthurt that you don't want to accept inferior cultures instead.