Page 1 of 3
LastLast

South Park - How influential was that episode on WoW?

South Park - How influential was that episode on WoW?

OK lets talk about that episode of southpark and how it effected WoW and its popularity.

I must say i played Warcraft games way before that episode aired after all i played warcraft 2 back in the old DOS days but i must say after that episode aired nearly every at my works was talking about WoW and i must wonder after all these years how that episode effected how people view WoW even after all these years.

Did that Episode catapult WOW into the unstoppable MMO behemoth it became or was it WOW itself that did that and that episode made limited impact?

WOW was already big and makers of South Park made the episode based on that. They tend to do main stream "popular" topics.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They actually worked alongside Blizzard for the Episode. It also brought a lot of people in, as like 20% of my massive Guild after the episode were people that found out about/tried WoW because of seeing the Episode

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    WOW was already big and makers of South Park made the episode based on that. They tend to do main stream "popular" topics.
    Thing was before that episode did anyone really know about Warcraft cause sure as shit after that aired my dad knew about it and so did all my family!!

Even Simpsons and American Dad played on that whole MMO thing surely that mustve helped MMOs explode in popularity! !

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Yep. If I recall by the time this episode was out which was 2006 Vanilla had already cemented itself as the big MMO.

I actually think for shooting the scenes they let the South Park crew use BC Alpha servers since it was Machinima.

10+ Year Old Account
    Subs were around 8 million when the episode aired.

As good as that episode was, it did not catapult WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by xbcfgxsuj View Post
    Thing was before that episode did anyone really know about Warcraft cause sure as shit after that aired my dad knew about it and so did all my family!!

Even Simpsons and American Dad played on that whole MMO thing surely that mustve helped MMOs explode in popularity! !
    7.5 Million did. WoW stems from being the most accessible MMO at the time. Along with the Warcraft franchise backing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    They actually worked alongside Blizzard for the Episode. It also brought a lot of people in, as like 20% of my massive Guild after the episode were people that found out about/tried WoW because of seeing the Episode
    It mustve been a coup for blizz with that episode.

It mustve been a coup for blizz with that episode.
    That's uhm.... not what a coup is.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    7.5 Million did. WoW stems from being the most accessible MMO at the time. Along with the Warcraft franchise backing it.
    Oh come on without proper marketing they wouldve never hit those numbers and that episode mustve been a marketers dream!

Oh come on without proper marketing they wouldve never hit those numbers and that episode mustve been a marketers dream!
    It was at 7.5 mil around that time. So before the episode even aired.

The episode aired in October 2006. BC came out in 2007. Considering how popular WoW already was this episode didn't do much. BC being more accessible did.

Dont split hairs you know what i meant

I joined the game after I saw that episode because I thought it looked like a lot of fun

It was at 7.5 mil around that time. So before the episode even aired.

The episode aired in October 2006. BC came out in 2007. Considering how popular WoW already was this episode didn't do much. BC being more accessible did.
    So the episode aired in 2006 but dont forget syndication!

Dont split hairs you know what i meant
    Not really. You misused a word that has no meaning here. Coup would imply they either got players by force or achieved it through great difficulty. A 20 min episode of South Park is neither. And they already had 7.5 mil subs before it aired so again neither.

Actually all you need to do is google the term "coup" and the first two definitions that pop up are:
    1) a sudden, violent and illegal siezure of power from a government (coup d'etat)

2) a notable or successful stroke or move.

So yes that IS what a coup is.

So the episode aired in 2006 but dont forget syndication!
    Syndication would not have affected a game that already had so many subs. You are trying way too hard here. WoW's success stems from it's design. Not from a 20 minute episode of a tv show.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ojee Showtime View Post
    Actually all you need to do is google the term "coup" and the first two definitions that pop up are:
    1) a sudden, violent and illegal siezure of power from a government (coup d'etat)

2) a notable or successful stroke or move.

So yes that IS what a coup is.
    coup
    kuː/Submit
    noun
    a sudden, violent, and illegal seizure of power from a government.

an instance of successfully achieving something difficult.

That's what Google gave me.

Blizzard didn't need to achieve something difficult because they already achieved it. WoW was the most successful MMO at the time.

Not really. You misused a word that has no meaning here. Coup would imply they either got players by force or achieved it through great difficulty. A 20 min episode of South Park is neither. And they already had 7.5 mil subs before it aired so again neither.
    OH please Coup means
    coup
    ko͞o/
    noun
    noun: coup; plural noun: coups; noun: coup d'état; plural noun: coups d'état; plural noun: coup d'états

"he was overthrown in an army coup"
    synonyms: seizure of power, coup d'état, putsch, overthrow, takeover, deposition; More
    revolution, palace revolution, rebellion, revolt, insurrection, mutiny, insurgence, uprising
    "a violent military coup"
    a notable or successful stroke or move.
    "it was a major coup to get such a prestigious contract"
    synonyms: success, triumph, feat, accomplishment, achievement, scoop, master stroke, stroke of genius
    "a major publishing coup"

OH please Coup means
    coup
    ko͞o/
    noun
    noun: coup; plural noun: coups; noun: coup d'état; plural noun: coups d'état; plural noun: coup d'états

"he was overthrown in an army coup"
    synonyms: seizure of power, coup d'état, putsch, overthrow, takeover, deposition; More
    revolution, palace revolution, rebellion, revolt, insurrection, mutiny, insurgence, uprising
    "a violent military coup"
    a notable or successful stroke or move.
    "it was a major coup to get such a prestigious contract"
    synonyms: success, triumph, feat, accomplishment, achievement, scoop, master stroke, stroke of genius
    "a major publishing coup"
    Read above. We are obviously getting different Google results because that's the first that popped up for me.

Also again. 7.5 million subs before that episode aired. Blizzard did not need help from the South Park creators. They let them because they knew it was easy money and because some of the Blizzard team were genuinely excited about working with them.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-06-26 at 12:58 PM.

Read above. We are obviously getting different Google results because that's the first that popped up for me.
    See what happens when you split hairs!