Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

SC allows limited version of Trump’s travel ban, will consider case in Fall

Supreme Court allows limited version of Trump’s travel ban to take effect, will consider case in fall

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.016937e340b6

The Supreme Court agreed on Monday to allow a limited version of President Trump’s ban on travelers from six mostly Muslim countries to take effect, and will consider in the fall the president’s broad powers in immigration matters in a case that raised fundamental issues of national security and religious discrimination.

The court made an important exception: it said the ban “may not be enforced against foreign nationals who have a credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States.”

The court also said in the ruling that it would consider whether the case will be moot by the time it hears it; the ban is supposed to be a temporary one while the government reviews its vetting procedures.

[Federal appeals court says Trump travel ban violates Constitution]

The action means that the administration may impose a 90-day ban on travelers from Libya, Iran, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen and a 120-day ban on all refugees entering the United States, with the exceptions noted by the court.

Trump said last week the ban would go into effect 72 hours after receiving an approval from the courts.

The proposed travel ban has been a major point of contention between Trump and civil rights groups, which say it was motivated by unconstitutional discrimination against Muslims.

Trump contends the ban is necessary to protect the nation while the administration decides whether tougher vetting procedures and other measures are needed. He has railed against federal judges who have blocked the move.

Because the executive order was stopped by lower courts, travelers from those countries have been entering the U.S. following normal visa procedures. Trump first moved to implement the restrictions in January in his first week in office.

[Appeals court keeps freeze on Trump travel ban in place]

His first executive order went into effect immediately, and resulted in chaos at airports in the U.S. and abroad, as travelers from the targeted countries were either stranded or sent back to their countries.

Lawyers for challengers to the order rushed to federal courts, and the order was stayed within days. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit eventually said the order could not be implemented, infuriating the president, who said he would take the case to the Supreme Court.

But instead, his administration regrouped and issued a second order in March. It added a section detailing national security concerns, removed Iraq from the list of countries affected, deleted a section that had targeted Syrian refugees and removed a provision that favored Christian immigrants.

His lawyers told courts that the new order was written to respond to the 9th Circuit’s concerns. But a new round of lawsuits were immediately filed, and federal judges once again stopped the implementation.

A federal district judge in Maryland stopped the portion of the order affecting travelers from the six countries; a judge in Hawaii froze that portion and the part affecting the refu*gee programs.

Appeals courts on both coasts upheld those decisions.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit in Richmond agreed with U.S. District Judge Theodore D. Chuang in Maryland, who sided with opponents in finding that the ban violates the Constitution by intentionally discriminating against Muslims.

In a 10-to-3 decision, the court noted Trump’s remarks before and after his election about implementing a ban on Muslims, and said the executive order “in context drips with religious intolerance, animus and discrimination.”

The president’s authority, the court said, “cannot go unchecked when, as here, the president wields it through an executive edict that stands to cause irreparable harm to individuals across this nation,” Chief Judge Roger L. Gregory wrote.

Meanwhile, a three-judge panel of the 9th Circuit said Trump had not adhered to federal law in which Congress gives the president broad power in immigration matters.

The 9th Circuit opinion did not dwell on Trump’s public comments, nor did it declare that the president had run afoul of the Constitution because his intent was to discriminate. Instead, they ruled that the travel ban lacked a sufficient national security or other justification that would make it legal, and that violated immigration law.

“There is no finding that present vetting standards are inadequate, and no finding that absent the improved vetting procedures there likely will be harm to our national interests,” the judges wrote. “These identified reasons do not support the conclusion that the entry of nationals from the six designated countries would be harmful to our national interests.”

They added that national security is not a ‘talismanic incantation’ that, once invoked, can support any and all exercise of executive power.”

In both appeals courts, a minority of conservative judges had said their colleagues were making a mistake. Judges should look only to whether the executive orders were proper on their face, they said, without trying to decide if the president had ulterior motives, and defer to national security decisions made by the executive branch.

“The Supreme Court surely will shudder at the majority’s adoption of this new rule that has no limits or bounds,”wrote dissenting 4th Circuit Judge Paul V. Niemeyer .

Trump thundered on Twitter after the judicial setbacks that the second executive order was a “watered down version” of the first. And while his lawyers in court described the action as a temporary pause in immigration and administration officials corrected reporters who called it a travel ban, Trump did not agree.

“People, the lawyers and the courts can call it whatever they want, but I am calling it what we need and what it is, a TRAVEL BAN!” he wrote.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone knew this was in the presidents power, I doubt anyone is surprised about this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Everyone knew this was in the presidents power, I doubt anyone is surprised about this.
    The ban is toothless IMO. It lacks places like Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    The ban is toothless IMO. It lacks places like Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan.
    On top of that, we are already past the 90 days of the original ban. . . . still no caliphate set up in Alabama. . .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    On top of that, we are already past the 90 days of the original ban. . . . still no caliphate set up in Alabama. . .
    I mean...... I still wouldnt go to Alabama. My sister in law got the fuck out of there the minute she could.

Well, the issue is going to be the duration of the ban. Supposedly, they should already be done tweaking the system to fix it. Apparently, the administration was full of shit when they said it would take 90-120 days. Add that to the list of lies.

I hate to say i told ya so.

No no i don't actually lol. Hahaha.

The president is and was well within his consitutional authority to enact the ban.

I hope it stays and gets renewed every 90 days. Dont need #prayfor________, with american city names.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post

The president is and was well within his consitutional authority to enact the ban.

I hope it stays and gets renewed every 90 days. Dont need #prayfor________, with american city names.
    Yeah, look at the flood of muslims that invaded the US while the LIBRULZ judgea blocked the ban.

I bet there are now millions of terrorists. Thanks LIBRULZ.

#PrayForHomegrown

7+ Year Old Account
    The net effect of this ban is that US refugee admissions will drop by a very significant amount over the next four months, given that the Trump administration has just gotten the greenlight for a full on refugee ban for the next 120 days, with the exceptions noted by the Supreme Court.

It's a compromise ultimately. The Presidency has broad powers over immigration, and every justice on the court knows that they can't fuck around with those powers "because Trump". So they put limits on it for the moment until they make a final decision.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2017-06-26 at 03:48 PM.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account

Uhhhh I can tell you didnt read.

I read it earlier this morning.

The fact that the SCOTUS has reinstated most of the ban, and is also even hearing the case shows that there is a good chance that they will overrule the lower courts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read it earlier this morning.

The fact that the SCOTUS has reinstated most of the ban, and is also even hearing the case shows that there is a good chance that they will overrule the lower courts.
    Now you are using proper language.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Yeah, look at the flood of muslims that invaded the US while the LIBRULZ judgea blocked the ban.

I bet there are now millions of terrorists. Thanks LIBRULZ.

#PrayForHomegrown
    This has nothing to do with it.

Like the ban or not, like the president or not, the executive branch is granted very broad authority of immigration. He is well within his powers to enact the ban and in my opinions, the lower courts were wrong in their interpretation of the constitution when they struck it down.

- - - Updated - - -

Now you are using proper language.
    I was on a phone earlier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Don't ask to much of our woke Trump fanboys, they want to be more like Trump.

But no worries, no terror will now ever happen again in the US.

10+ Year Old Account

I was on a phone earlier.
    I dont think that is the reason :P

Totally a coincidence that countries Trump has business interests in didn't make the list!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    Totally a coincidence that countries Trump has business interests in didn't make the list!
    All three of which have major terrorist connections.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Two votes away from the full ban being enacted, and Trump might be replacing Kennedy and Ginsburg during his 1st term.

- - - Updated - - -

All three of which have major terrorist connections.
    All 3 of which were vetted by the previous administration and deemed to be not as threatening domestically as the countries on the list.

I dont think that is the reason :P
    I work a lot and dont always have access to a computer...like right now

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Don't ask to much of our woke Trump fanboys, they want to be more like Trump.

But no worries, no terror will now ever happen again in the US.
    1. Don't like trump.

2. Well, it cant hurt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Two votes away from the full ban being enacted, and Trump might be replacing Kennedy and Ginsburg during his 1st term.

- - - Updated - - -

All 3 of which were vetted by the previous administration and deemed to be not as threatening domestically as the countries on the list.
    Did I stutter? Saudi Arabia and Pakistan have far too much leverage on the US. I could not care any less about what Obama thought of them, or his administration's thoughts on them. I was critical of him on the issue of those countries then, and I am critical of it now.