Suggestion for an AMD GPU

So, I was just about to spend a wad of money on a couple of upgrades (basically a new computer) including a Ryzen 5 1600, ASRock AB350M Pro4 mobo, a Pure Rock cooler, a GTX 1070 & a 144hz 1440p IPS monitor.

Last second, I noticed the monitor features Freesync, which then wouldn't work with the 1070 (right?), so I was looking for an AMD GPU in line with the rest of the build.

What would be a reasonable choice, or would it be smarter to buy a different monitor for G-sync?

Also, any input on the build in general would be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by RodneyStanger; 2017-06-26 at 06:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamiel View Post
    Simple question what healer gives you personally the biggest headache in pvp?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobajobjob View Post
    I play a ret paladin, so my answer is this:

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyStanger View Post
    So, I was just about to spend a wad of money on a couple of upgrades (basically a new computer) including a Ryzen 5 1600, ASRock AB350M Pro4 mobo, a Pure Rock cooler, a GTX 1070 & a 144hz 1440p IPS monitor.

Last second, I noticed the monitor features Freesync, which then wouldn't work with the 1070 (right?), so I was looking for an AMD GPU in line with the rest of the build.

What would be a reasonable choice?

Also, any input on the build in general would be highly appreciated.
    Eh you buy a different monitor my dude, AMD has nothing that competes with a 1070.

My suggestion:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Cwg...onitor-s2417dg

As for the rest of you build, id go with a slightly higher end board, something like this:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/c2D...d-b350-pc-mate
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-06-26 at 06:37 PM.

Deleted
    There are more freesync monitors and samsung new monitor range thats coming out in July has freesync 2, 144 Hz and is 1440 P, the real kick to this, they have HDR support.

However, not like you can buy any AMD gpu now and Vega is rumoured to have limited stock, in short, you won't be able to buy a AMD gpu for a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Eh you buy a different monitor my dude, AMD has nothing that competes with a 1070.

My suggestion:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Cwg...onitor-s2417dg

As for the rest of you build, id go with a slightly higher end board, something like this:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/c2D...d-b350-pc-mate
    Ah okay, I figured I might need to just find myself another monitor. Guess I Should have specified though, the one I was looking at was a 27" (aswell as IPS, though I've understood a 144+hz 1440p 27" IPS with G-sync will be pretty expensive), is there a good option in that range?

Also, what does the higher end board do, effectively?

Yes.

Ah okay, I figured I might need to just find myself another monitor. Guess I Should have specified though, the one I was looking at was a 27" (aswell as IPS, though I've understood a 144+hz 1440p 27" IPS with G-sync will be pretty expensive), is there a good option in that range?

The one i linked is full sized atx and has vrm heatsinks on both banks, better if you want to overclock down the road. Dell has a 27" of the same model, but of course is more expensive:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BcT...onitor-s2716dg

IPS really is not something you should be seeking out in a monitor, one of those strange things that made its rounds on the internet.

The one i linked is full sized atx and has vrm heatsinks on both banks, better if you want to overclock down the road. Dell has a 27" of the same model, but of course is more expensive:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BcT...onitor-s2716dg

IPS really is not something you should be seeking out in a monitor, one of those strange things that made its rounds on the internet.
    Oh dang, that was quite a bit more expensive indeed. As I understand IPS is better in more or less everything other than latency, which only differs by 3ms or so anyway so I can't see how I'd prefer that over the color scheme, viewing angle and whatnot, though I might've been misinformed as to how big a difference it is?

Yes.

Oh dang, that was quite a bit more expensive indeed. As I understand IPS is better in more or less everything other than latency, which only differs by 3ms or so anyway so I can't see how I'd prefer that over the color scheme, viewing angle and whatnot, though I might've been misinformed as to how big a difference it is?
    Well, first off, panel type does not determine color accuracy. TN Monitors, being cheaper, use cheaper stuff, so that's why a low-end IPS has better color accuracy than a low end TN. A higher end TN and they are the same. As for viewing angles, never understood why that matters on a computer monitor. On a TV where you want to be able to view it from anywhere in the room? Ok, sure, viewing angle matters. At a computer desk where you are going to be sitting directly in front of the monitor and have an adjustable chair? I don't think viewing angle matters one bit. Take that in to consideration, and actually, TN monitors are better, because lower latency and no IPS Glow. They are also cheaper.

You are very misinformed lol. The only advantage IPS has over TN is viewing angles, that is it. TN does everything else better as a gaming monitor, color has nothing to do with panel type, but panel quality. IPS cannot touch TN in terms of motion, dont get fooled my MS ratings, even high end IPS panels that claim they are fast produce some amount of ghosting. Above all that, nearly every IPS monitor on the market suffers from something called IPS glow, which many find incredibly distracting. IPS was a technology produced for the TV market, it is not well suited as a gaming monitor......unless you game from 90 degree angles. Both TN and IPS have poor contrast ratios, and VA does not do motion as well as either technology.

These dell monitors are the best gaming monitors in existence today, until we get affordable HDR/local dimming models.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Honestly people on this forum just can't make up their minds is all it is. Everyone was once on the same boat about IPS monitors being the better choice for color accuracy and then all of a sudden some people branched off with the idea that it makes no difference and that good TN panels or better than IPS panels.

There are some decent TN panels (such as the ROG Swift), but I've personally never seen a TN panel that looked better than IPS panels (not to say they don't exist) though I'd imagine an $800 TN might be comparable or maybe even better than a $100 IPS panel. Objectively though the viewing angles aren't great on TN panels and the latency is hardly a concern for most games. I currently use a 144hz TN panel and it looks horrible without adjustments and an .icc profile (which can't be used in fullscreen gaming) while my 60Hz IPS panels are gorgeous (even managed to succefully overclock both to 72Hz) and I play games on those when I can't get the frame rates consistently higher than 72. I prefer IPS. I'll drop my preference when someone can physically show me a TN panel with better color accuracy than my IPS panels for a similar cost.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2017-06-26 at 07:09 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

That's the thing arb, you havent seen a high quality TN like these dell's. There are some decent IPS gaming monitors, but they arent as good as these dell's. Quality control and IPS glow being the main deterrents, followed by the fact IPS cannot produce TN like motion.

- - - Updated - - -

Couple other points that are actually really important.

Screen coating. Has anyone ever seen a high quality monitor with a glossy screen? They look absolutely incredible, but the trade off is of course reflections. These dells have a very light screen coating, there are no reflections to mention and text looks incredibly sharp.

PPI. aka pixels per inch. This is one of the reasons i went with the 24" model, its just a sharper screen overall. Not a huge deal for most people, but something i appreciate.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's the thing arb, you havent seen a high quality TN like these dell's. There are some decent IPS gaming monitors, but they arent as good as these dell's. Quality control and IPS glow being the main deterrents, followed by the fact IPS cannot produce TN like motion.

- - - Updated - - -

Couple other points that are actually really important.

Screen coating. Has anyone ever seen a high quality monitor with a glossy screen? They look absolutely incredible, but the trade off is of course reflections. These dells have a very light screen coating, there are no reflections to mention and text looks incredibly sharp.

PPI. aka pixels per inch. This is one of the reasons i went with the 24" model, its just a sharper screen overall. Not a huge deal for most people, but something i appreciate.
    I've seen a few. Better than my trash VG248QE but still not better than my U2414H's and they aren't even the best looking IPS panels available. I haven't personally seen the one you own, but one single monitor of your own anecdotal experience isn't necessarily fact. Plus at the end of the day viewing angles are still a huge issue. Not being directly in front instantly reduces color accuracy. Considering color accuracy has always been a downside to TN, I'm not exactly sure where all of this "screw IPS TN is better" came from. Literally everyone else on this forum including you were completely against TN until recently. But if I'm being honest your opinion has been every where lately and in most cases badly placed and has sparked a lot of debate so that opinion really only holds so much weight.

If OP wants IPS he should get IPS.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2017-06-26 at 08:19 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

To get a good IPS panel that is going to cost him more than these dells, and you will still get IPS glow and not as good of motion...

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/mo...sort=price&p=1

They start at 700 dollars.

The downsides of IPS far outweigh those of TN, i dont personally know a single person that doesn't game directly in front of their monitor. These IPS panels also have very sketchy quality control, many owners of these 700+ dollar IPS panels have switched to the dells and are much happier that they dont have to deal with glow, ghosting, or panel lottery.

This is the owners thread for the most popular IPS gsync monitor out there, riddled with complaints. The only complaint you will see in the dell owners thread is some get tiny amounts of backlight bleed, but that pales in comparison to IPS glow:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1581181/a...show-pics/7500

- - - Updated - - -

I don't say my monitor is the best on the market because i own it, i did an incredible amount of research and looking through owners threads to come to that conclusion.