10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellixen View Post
    Been wanting to get back into the game. Tired of WoW right now. My only issue is my paladin is still around level 50-60 and he's just really boring. Mainly the lack of damage to regular mobs while questing. Did stormblood improve on this or are paladins still pretty crappy with solo damage?
    Au contraire, from what I've heard, they are supposedly more powerful now, as well as having gained an actual AoE spell other than Flash (although the new one does not generate Enmity). Still a bit weaker than DRKs and WARs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    RDM level 70.... now time to rest
    Posted at 2017-06-17, 08:15 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    I am already kind of bored. I hope the raid won't be tuned too easy.
    Power grind to 70 one day after early access.

Says he's bored.

Weird man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellixen View Post
    Been wanting to get back into the game. Tired of WoW right now. My only issue is my paladin is still around level 50-60 and he's just really boring. Mainly the lack of damage to regular mobs while questing. Did stormblood improve on this or are paladins still pretty crappy with solo damage?
    Well you have some good options on getting to 60 at least. 50-60 you can grind the Palace of the Dead for great exp or even mix in some PvP. Once you hit 60 you can buy some vendor 255s or use poetics for some gear. As far as damage goes during questing I didn't feel that the damage from Sword Oath and melee combos was too terrible. Goring Blade at 54 is pretty good damage for a slightly longer fight and at 60 you get a solid potency hit if you don't want to use Goring.

3) The Menagerie fight was excellent. I was very pleased with the mechanics and the level of difficulty therein.
    All I know is that I want an extreme version of that fight. Just make us fight two of them at once and I'd be content.

5) RDM, SAM, and MNK threat is through the roof. I pride myself on my tanking DPS and survivability and these jobs coupled with exceptional players make it difficult (which is FUN ). It engages me. My goal as a PLD tank is to use flash as little as possible to 0 times if I can get away with it. I am not using str accessories because I am broke , but I wish I was.
    That's only really a thing in four man content, sadly. With tools like Shirk it becomes brainless like it used to be. Still I agree it's pretty fun but my only real complaint is that Flash is still a thing... It's really just not "cool" whereas the new ability looks cool but feels useless when you either have really amazing DPS and/or your DPS don't know how to use their new threat dump abilities.

Speaking of DPS utility, it's really fun using Palisade (20% dmg reduction) on tanks as a BRD and if really needed Nature's Minne (20% healing boost). Sadly keeping up movement boost, using foes at proper times, giving mana/tp when needed and using Palisade/Nature's Minne while also being top DPS (lol outdpsing MNKs and SAM somehow) doesn't earn me comms. /sigh

Funny roulette story. So I was in leveling roulette. Shisui. I pulled the first 2 packs like I always do. It takes us over 3 minutes to clear those 6 mobs. I say, "I'll stick to slower pulls since our DPS is a little low."

Later on the RDM uses his LB on the boss when the boss is at .5%. No big deal. Second boss the same RDM uses his LB again on like less than 1%. This time I say something like it'd be better to use it on trash or as soon as you get it on a boss so it starts charging sooner and doesn't waste any potential damage.

This apparently finally triggered them and they said that I insulted them by saying they were bad dps and didn't know how to play, etc. Except I never said any of those things lol. I said OUR dps was low. That includes me too. I didn't say why it was low. It could be gear, job, poor play, lack of healer dps, etc. I didn't realize this at the time, but they were all in the same FC and they gave me the old boot. Like I'm a tank I can find a queue in seconds this doesn't hurt me and the only thing I needed was some EXP to hit the next MSQ wall.

Yeah sure I could have kept my mouth shut, but I was raised to treat people like you want to be treated and if I'm doing something incorrectly that could be inconveniencing others I'd like someone to point it out to me, direct and respectfully of course.
    I had a complete opposite experience the other day. Was doing my leveling roulette on my healer and the other three players were all green leafs. I immediately notice on the first pull that the tank wasn't using flash and shield oath so I tell him you have to use so and so. I was expecting no reply or a snarky reply but I was surprised to see the player being receptive and started doing what I told them to and thanking me. After that one of the DPS asks me if I had any tips which freaking blew my mind.

Funny that some stuff you posted here people call it "constructive" or "debating" yet we post pretty similarly and it's "bickering"

/logic

Not a swipe at you personally because me I like reading some of your stuff even if I disagree with it sometimes. <3

Also agreed on RDM threat. It's absolutely insane. Even Diversion isn't enough sometimes.
    I never really meant it towards you, more so other people. There was that one specific discussion about something... which I'll be honest I don't remember about what except that it just turned into a back and forth of "you're wrong, no YOU'RE wrong" with no real progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Is it? Okay I must have gotten some bad information at one point then. I was told by some that Flash was just a terrible threat generator. I'll give it a whirl in my next dungeon and see how it goes. Thanks!
    It's terrible in comparison to what Warriors and Dark Knights have (AoE threat gen WITH Damage.) Maybe that's what was meant.

2-3 Flash pops and a Scorn and you should hold mobs pretty easily for AoE purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    All I know is that I want an extreme version of that fight. Just make us fight two of them at once and I'd be content.

That's only really a thing in four man content, sadly. With tools like Shirk it becomes brainless like it used to be. Still I agree it's pretty fun but my only real complaint is that Flash is still a thing... It's really just not "cool" whereas the new ability looks cool but feels useless when you either have really amazing DPS and/or your DPS don't know how to use their new threat dump abilities.

Speaking of DPS utility, it's really fun using Palisade (20% dmg reduction) on tanks as a BRD and if really needed Nature's Minne (20% healing boost). Sadly keeping up movement boost, using foes at proper times, giving mana/tp when needed and using Palisade/Nature's Minne while also being top DPS (lol outdpsing MNKs and SAM somehow) doesn't earn me comms. /sigh

I had a complete opposite experience the other day. Was doing my leveling roulette on my healer and the other three players were all green leafs. I immediately notice on the first pull that the tank wasn't using flash and shield oath so I tell him you have to use so and so. I was expecting no reply or a snarky reply but I was surprised to see the player being receptive and started doing what I told them to and thanking me. After that one of the DPS asks me if I had any tips which freaking blew my mind.

I never really meant it towards you, more so other people. There was that one specific discussion about something... which I'll be honest I don't remember about what except that it just turned into a back and forth of "you're wrong, no YOU'RE wrong" with no real progress.
    Menagerie EX will happen in 4.1. Minstrels Ballad I'm guessing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post
    It's terrible in comparison to what Warriors and Dark Knights have (AoE threat gen WITH Damage.) Maybe that's what was meant.

2-3 Flash pops and a Scorn and you should hold mobs pretty easily for AoE purposes.
    Never understood why they don't let Flash just do a small amount of Damage. Just for the sake of it. Who cares if it ends up being like Unleash or w/e it would help their AoE threat a hell of a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Menagerie EX will happen in 4.1. Minstrels Ballad I'm guessing.
    Oh yeah for sure. I really have no clue what they can do with that fight to make it more interesting as they already packed every primal mechanic into it. Maybe the double boss thing that I joked about will really happen! One can hope... I will say though that it has the potential to be Thordan level hard if done right.

By the way does anyone know if there's anything else other than gear you can spend your Verity on?

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshomaru View Post
    Au contraire, from what I've heard, they are supposedly more powerful now, as well as having gained an actual AoE spell other than Flash (although the new one does not generate Enmity). Still a bit weaker than DRKs and WARs.
    Total Eclipse just feels so weak though, 110 potency and no built in enmity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post

I don't mind if the damage is weaker or if the spell is worse as long as I get mobs to stick to me on pulls so I can start using my better potency combos on them. Circle of Scorn + 2-3 flashes sounds like a winner to me if it keeps the mobs on me.

- - - Updated - - -

Never understood why they don't let Flash just do a small amount of Damage. Just for the sake of it. Who cares if it ends up being like Unleash or w/e it would help their AoE threat a hell of a lot.
    Beats me, I mean why does the new pally AoE have no built in enmity gen on it? 110 potency AoE sounds nice until you try a fight with Circle of Scorn + a few Total Eclipse and the mobs are gone as they go to chew on your party.

@Aruhen Nothing else to spend Verity on just now, but you know being capped is going to be wise when they add in upgrades or relic or some other item in the future.

Last Saturday, I decided I'd been playing FFXIV almost nonstop for over a week with Stormblood. Despite still wanting to get PLD its final 6 levels and still working on botany (haven't touched crafting yet) and everything, I decided I'd take a break.

I was going to eat lunch, then play a console game for a while, then come back to do roulettes with FC around 9ish my time. So I finally put in The Last Guardian around 3PM and figured I'd play that til evening.

Long session short, I went to bed at 3AM after wiping my tears and wrapping my head around how a game can make my heart hurt. T-T

Started Assassin's Creed Unity to do some stabbing and grinding FATEs, doing hunts, and other things on PLD will be most welcome after Ueda put my heart in a blender.

Oh yeah for sure. I really have no clue what they can do with that fight to make it more interesting as they already packed every primal mechanic into it. Maybe the double boss thing that I joked about will really happen! One can hope... I will say though that it has the potential to be Thordan level hard if done right.

By the way does anyone know if there's anything else other than gear you can spend your Verity on?
    Not that I know of. Problem is we aren't gonna see ilvl upgrades till Savage is out.

Not that I know of. Problem is we aren't gonna see ilvl upgrades till Savage is out.
    I expect Omega is going to be ilvl 320 (to match the EX primal gear) and that's next week, right?

Then savage is the week or 2 weeks after that?

Figure verity is just meant to get everyone on the same starting point for Omega Weapon. Really curious how that's going to be a full expansion of raids, though.

I can see normal Omega being 320, weekly capped tome gear 330 (with upgrade to 340) and savage being 340.

Really curious how that's going to be a full expansion of raids, though.
    Yeah same. I was expecting a certain boss that you fight after a certain man with long hair to be reserved for the raid. Though to be honest I'm more excited for the Alliance raid as that seems more interesting from a concept pov.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Is there a gathering job that compliments cooking? I haven't done any crafting jobs yet
    Botany can be used to gather a lot of the spices, vegetables, fruits, etc... Mining can also be useful to gather some of the minerals used, but those are very few...like rock salt.

All of the meats come from actually killing animals.

Mmm, they seem to like 30-point jumps, that was the pattern in HW for Tomestones AFAIS. 170, 200, 230 and 260 with 10-point upgrades to each. So I'm guessing Creation gear will be 340.

Funny that some stuff you posted here people call it "constructive" or "debating" yet we post pretty similarly and it's "bickering"

/logic

Not a swipe at you personally because me I like reading some of your stuff even if I disagree with it sometimes. <3

Also agreed on RDM threat. It's absolutely insane. Even Diversion isn't enough sometimes.
    lol. I tend to ask questions rather than respond in soliloquy as I feel that it draws some of the inherent ire of the discussion out of the focus and sometimes gets to the actual root of the pain for a person (I really don't like telling someone they're wrong, I'd rather have someone explain their stance and then realize, oh shit I'm wrong). I also tend to bold when I ask a question to draw additional attention to it. I think that could be the difference, but a very cursory glance of what you said over the past few pages didn't seem problematic to me. I'd likely need specific examples to further analyze the content, but I think it's better left where it is. Just know you have my support, if that's worth anything!

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Ditto, dualcast alone means i'm stealing threat so often as a 70 RDM i never did as a 60 NIN.
    This isn't directed at you (since you still have me on ignore probably), but this is for everyone to see. If a mob or boss gets loose from the tank:

1) Don't panic.
    2) Don't run away.
    3) It's not going to 1 shot you.

I will pull the add off you as soon as I am able, if you're not a caster it helps to run it closer to me as well, if you are I can pull it to me myself so no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Better not use it I guess. I couldn't restrain myself if I saw someone barely pushing buttons.

Ignorance is blissssssssssss
    I've used ACT since 2.1. I've removed people from PF, I've discussed #s with people in DF. I've never actually heard or seen someone banned that I can remember, and myself having publicly used it fairly frequently has never been banned.

The trick is don't be an ass. If you need to say something to someone, talk to them the same way you'd want to be talked to. In private if you can, but if it needs to be public be respectful and direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Right, it's the one in Japanese for commendation. I've been playing on JP client for so long I don't know half the things in english anymore. Still need a bit for the achievement award.
    TIL. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    On the issue of threat is there anything a Paladin can do for some good threat on AoE pulls in dungeons? I use Circle of Scorn, I have Shield Oath going but at that point what is the best moves to use early on? Total Eclipse seems just awful, low damage AoE hit that does not give built in enmity. What I don't know is if Flash is any good or if I should just be tabbing around early on using Fast Blade/Savage Blade/Rage of Halone. While the 3 hit combo is great it takes too long to get aggro on a group even if I tab to each enemy and give them a part of the combo.
    Total Eclipse is solid to spam if you have FoF up otherwise you'll probably need 1-2 supplemental flashes. I tend to hold aggro pretty ok in that situation. I go entire dungeons and EX primal's without using Rage of Halone. Goring Blade is so powerful that cycling it on mobs is most of what I do in a dungeon.

When you cycle you don't want to just hit the same mob with all 3 then move to another as that front loads too much threat on one mob. I cycle fast blade on one, riot on another, goring on one, then repeat. I mix in Spirits Within and Shield Swipe on mobs that need a little extra threat.

@Ravex covered Flash accurately so you don't need any other info on that.

Me too!

Agreed. I too was VERY disappointed Flash stayed in the game.

Not terribly familiar with BRDs at the moment but that seems fun. I do love using intervention and cover on other people all the time.

Unfortunately, until ACT is out (and not a beta) I don't have any idea who is doing damage. I give comms to healers who DPS, otherwise only a DPS if the run goes insanely quick. What server/group you on?

-_-

The problem with this suggestion is it doesn't do a whole lot to fix the ability. I mean I consider myself a pretty creative guy when it comes to class abilities/design, but I literally cannot come up with a single iteration of it that would be fun to press that doesn't already exist in the PLD toolkit in some fashion.

If I were to wishlist PLD:
    • I want a way to use Requescat or Holy Spirit in AOE.
    • If I can't have a gap closer give me a badass ranged AOE pull. Let me do a sword slash wave of white hot light that explodes on impact. If you've ever played any of Armored Core series or DS/BB like the Moonlight Sword wave (vertical not horizontal though). Could even make it cost Oath so we have something to spend our meter on for DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I just wanted to be Link...

Not terribly familiar with BRDs at the moment but that seems fun. I do love using intervention and cover on other people all the time.

Unfortunately, until ACT is out (and not a beta) I don't have any idea who is doing damage. I give comms to healers who DPS, otherwise only a DPS if the run goes insanely quick. What server/group you on?
    Act got updated recently but's not the most accurate thing.

I play on Cactuar which is on Aether, why?

I just wanted to be Link...

Act got updated recently but's not the most accurate thing.

I play on Cactuar which is on Aether, why?
    Merely curious, playing MMO's without any of your friends sucks. Unfortunately I'm on Behemoth - Primal.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Better not use it I guess. I couldn't restrain myself if I saw someone barely pushing buttons.

Ignorance is blissssssssssss
    Simply using it, or even talking about it won't get you banned or suspended. SE can only really investigate you if you get reported. So, if you bring up the parser in a dungeon/raid/group and are a complete ass about it and kick someone or something and they report you only then will they take action against you.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Simply using it, or even talking about it won't get you banned or suspended. SE can only really investigate you if you get reported. So, if you bring up the parser in a dungeon/raid/group and are a complete ass about it and kick someone or something and they report you only then will they take action against you.
    Exactly. Likely, if a person is dead weight, you are going to know it with or without a parser (okay so outside of a 24 man). You don't need to go into details of why you want them out of your party, and all the same reasons still apply. They were playing bad and you don't want to play with them is a completely valid to kick someone.

Just don't be a fool and link parses or shame people "lol you got outdpsed by the tank" and you'll be fine. Or just keep the trash talk to Discord where it belongs

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post

[SNIP]

The problem with this suggestion is it doesn't do a whole lot to fix the ability. I mean I consider myself a pretty creative guy when it comes to class abilities/design, but I literally cannot come up with a single iteration of it that would be fun to press that doesn't already exist in the PLD toolkit in some fashion.

If I were to wishlist PLD:
    • I want a way to use Requescat or Holy Spirit in AOE.
    • If I can't have a gap closer give me a badass ranged AOE pull. Let me do a sword slash wave of white hot light that explodes on impact. If you've ever played any of Armored Core series or DS/BB like the Moonlight Sword wave (vertical not horizontal though). Could even make it cost Oath so we have something to spend our meter on for DPS.
    I like the idea of Flash in the game, a flash of holy light that temporarily blinds enemies and infuriates them, drawing their ire so they attack you. The problem for me is the visual and audio effect are so unsatisfying, coupled with no damage just makes it feel so...uncool. Changing the visual and sound effect to something more visceral, or at least more fun to see, would be cool. I'd take a page out of the WoW Paladin book and make Shield Throw an AoE type ability like Avenger's Shield that allows your shield to ricochet off multiple targets. Base version doesn't cost anything, but maybe you could supercharge it with your Oath Meter or something to make it ricochet. And/or, make it so your shield explodes with holy light/ power when it gets thrown acting like an AoE ranged pull, similar to how Dark Knights Abyssal Drain works.

Either of those would be more visually and audibly satisfying than a wimpy hand wave with a tiny firecracker pop.

Another option would be to just make Circle of Scorn actually worth a damn both threat and damage wise and remove Flash altogether...just lower CoS cooldown a little bit, or make it so impactful that the current cooldown is sufficient.

All of this coupled with the new role ability, Ultimatum, makes AoE threat something you shouldn't need to work THAT hard for. Playing should just be fun...and Flash is decidedly NOT fun.