Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Tank Balance one week in?

How are we feeling after our first week of ToS? Sco of Method forecast that tank balance would be best it's been all expansion. What are the rest of you seeing, in your guild and in your pugs?

I've tanked some part of ToS on 3 tanks so far:
    • Prot Pally: Not much changed. Still solid all-rounder, maybe not best at anything but capable of anything, especially good at supporting the other tank (Blessing of Sacrifice ftw on KJ).
    • Demon Hunter: Having fun with the new rotation, still learning to make the most of new synergies. Have not tanked H-KJ yet, but nothing I have tanked has been any kind of survivability struggle.
    • Warrior: My happiest surprise of all. ToS is such a breath of fresh air after NH! Warriors think KJ is a good dust up, braw times, is that all you got?

10+ Year Old Account
    are druid tanks still OP ?
    Hi

Deleted
    Druid: Nerf magical intanke, make ToS physical-heavy. Still OP.
    Monk: My only problem is not taking heals, my tier give me heals. New bear.
    DK: Actually it is a lot better than NH DK, half table.
    Pally: I don't have them HPs, weak as fuck, not worth it right now.
    Warrior: You either have HP or do dmg. Not worth it.
    DH: dps with some tanking CDs, not for mythic progress.
    Last edited by mmocc0105de390; 2017-06-26 at 01:13 PM.

Balefulxd hit the nail pretty much on the head.

Only thing I'd add is that monks are also doing as much damage as demon hunters (the top DPS). Why bring a tank that isn't a monk when a monk does literally everything better, from damage smoothing to damage output.

Deleted
    They are not bad at all, but also not much more than big meatbags.

Now that mitigationwise tanks are a lot closer other factors might be getting important - like paladins utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Balefulxd View Post
    I agree with dis.

this right here is pretty much spot on. prot pally 4life though.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    this right here is pretty much spot on. prot pally 4life though.
    i feel you
    http://imgur.com/elEoard

10+ Year Old Account
    Been tanking on my BDK and VDH (and to lesser extent, my BrM whom I only tanked N).

BDK is pretty decent tank now, I can see them being used for M progression, but they're probably still not world top 10 progression material. They have some of the best raid utility of all tanks though. I can see them being really good for KJ fight thanks to their grip and gorefiend's grasp on the dark phase. You pretty much NEED them if you want the achievement on KJ. I'd say BDKs and Prot Pallies are the top tanks in terms of raid utility right now. Also, their 20% leech for 15s every 45s is super juicy.

VDH is the most fun tank to play IMO. I love the mobility and the rotation. I like how they rely both on proactive and reactive abilities in order to tank (proactive = DS/Fiery Brand before big hit and reactive would be SC and soul frags heals after taking a big hit). They're sort of in between a War tank and a DK tank. With that said, I think they're probably dead last in terms of actual mitigation though which would put them not as a good choice for world competition progression tanking. Like the BDKs, they should still be fine for more casual guilds who don't plan on getting M 9/9 within the first month or three.

BrM don't have a lot of ToS experience on him, but they are looking pretty damn retarded. Definitely world first level of progression strength. I have 2 tier T20 set on mine (from N) and it really isn't as strong as people are saying it is. It's only 40% chance to proc now instead of 100% and the Orbs don't heal for any breaking amount, in progression raiding where they'll be taking big hits, I'd say the vast majority of the Ox orb generation will still be coming in through the normal damage taking way. I still say the T19 bonus was a lot better.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Since spellwarding is the only thing protect pallies seem to have over the other tanks I'm wondering where people have found uses for it.

Solo soaking a slam on maidens if things go wrong.
    Corrupted beam soaking on mythic Avatar? Unsure if you'd still gain stacks.
    Having a predetermined beam solo soaked on KJ.

That's all I can really think of off the top of my head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drish View Post
    Since spellwarding is the only thing protect pallies seem to have over the other tanks I'm wondering where people have found uses for it.
    They also have BoP/DS they can use on many fights to cheese (ie hammer of creation/oblit on Maiden lets them solo take that hit twice, which is OP and on KJ's large aremeggedon soaks.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Deleted
    ToS HC was a blast as prot warrior, definetly NOT "tier 4" tank

Felclaws in KJ were breeze, took like 1/3 of damage from it that our bear took

Everything is so nice when boss mechanics are blockable <3

Deleted
    Im having a blast atm with my VDH in m+. Dont feel weak anymore.

Meanwhile BDK lolol 15m hp with vamp blood + death strike stacks.

Tbh if Blizzard cared to make prot paladins viable they should remove wings and seraphim and buff their baseline dps to match the tanks that have no dps cds (and do way more dps than paladin without seraphim but with righteous protector), also give them more hp since lotp model suffers the same issue as other self healing tanks suffered, you need to be able to survive the hit to make any use of reactive self healing. Both DKs and DHs got buffs allowing them to "baseline survive" some hits. Paladins also have the "get extra armor at low hp" artifact trait which again, would be amazing if you had enough hp that it couldn't get leapfrogged.

I do agree BDK deserve a moment of spotlight after being garbo for so long, but paladins were never great, EN was double warrior, then druid became king, around TOV people slowly started rediscovering monk (staggering 'em Odyn spears) only to reach the "eureka" level in NH, druid+druid or druid+monk were the fotm comps, this is only gonna continue, because monk is unpopular, but paladin otherwise, it was always one of the more popular classes (majority of playerbase doesn't play cutting edge progression anyway, so monk remained unpopular despite their strength and paladin remained popular despite being sub-optimal) so Blizzard doesn't care to buff it (same for ret and their stupid model "I need to have people die in specific intervals to do max dps" and Blizzzard keeps insisting this design "is fine, that class fantasy tho").

The only saving grace for paladin in NH was "some other tanks were worse", they had spellwarding and holy shield to deal with tons of various magic damage some other tank classes had trouble with (read: everyone except druid and monk), but since this isn't as much worth in the current tier and some underdog tanks got buffed both in the new traits (compare bdk extra death strike healing to paladin's... 4% parry lululul) and in new legendaries (I heard dks are quite happy from their talent ring, so are monks from the 25% extra dmg on keg smash), paladins are falling slowly into obsolete mode, why take a paladin if all their "cool" perks have either no use or got nerfed, and most other tanks do their job better.
    Last edited by Marrilaife; 2017-06-27 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal View Post
    ToS HC was a blast as prot warrior, definetly NOT "tier 4" tank

Felclaws in KJ were breeze, took like 1/3 of damage from it that our bear took

Everything is so nice when boss mechanics are blockable <3
    Don't forget that 1st boss spell reflect either! curious if it will carry over on mythic being able to do that

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Meanwhile BDK lolol 15m hp with vamp blood + death strike stacks.
    You also forgot that we have a 40% DR with 2charges with short CD

So far in HC ive only tanked KJ, and it was a breeze, vamp blood for stacks 1-3 and rune tap+blood for 3-5
    Dont think any prior bosses did more tank damage in ToS so cant talk for them.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

This about somes it up.
    i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz \ EVGA GTX 1080 FTW \ MSI z170a Carbon \ corsair hx 850 mod \ 16gb savage 2666 \ 4tb raid 1 wd black \ 256gb 600p m.2pcie
    HakudoshiFarsaj

Deleted

DHs are fine, except for felclaws.
    I randomly picked the #10 DH/Guardian for H Avatar.
    DH: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...aken&source=67
    Guardian: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...taken&source=1

The DH took less damage from melee and desolate, and these aren't weird numbers. The problem with KJ's felclaws is that they can't be dodged or parried. Every other tank's main form of AM is fully functional.. except for DHs. Taking 40-50% more damage from it because we can't parry/avoid is pretty bullshit. Moreover, because it's every 50 seconds, we can't cover it with fiery brand either so that's another potential 40% DR we can't use.

If you wanted to design a tank check to screw DHs, felclaws would probably be it. The first bosses in mythic will likely be a lot easier, hopefully Blizz will do something or a good number of people will be rerolling. Moving more of our mitigation from parry -> armor would do it, but we need something..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Now just think back to how op bears were at the start of the xp.

Ironfur was 100% extra armor, now it's 65%. Used to have a 30% magic damage reduction (mark of ursol) that was removed. Rage generation has been nerfed twice. Self healing nerfed this tier. And still op!

I remember that they used to claim that they had the ability to scale things way up and down to see how particular specs scaled. The must not have tried it on bears?
    Blizzard doesn't care for tank balance, they nerfed warrior at the start of the xpac because 5 prot warrior kills happened, and that's about all. The fact they nerfed gdruid was solely because armor gets to insane levels every tier, so they need to scale down the % ironfur gives to mantain the same amount of mitigation. Mark of ursol removal was solely because ToS has no important magic dmg and for people to think they "finally nerfed bears wee" (and even after deleting mark of ursol they nerfed all magical dmg on NH just because reasons).