Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cool CNN caught posting fake news, retracts story, 3 employees quit!

Three CNN employees have resigned in the wake of the news outlet's retracted Russia story.

Thomas Frank, the reporter who wrote the story; Eric Lichtblau, who recently joined CNN from the New York Times; and CNN Investigates executive editor Lex Haris have left the news outlet. The Washington Post first reported the resignations, which a CNN source confirmed to BuzzFeed News.

"In the aftermath of the retraction of a story published on CNN.com, CNN has accepted the resignations of the employees involved in the story's publication," CNN said in a statement.

The deleted story, which cited a single unnamed source, claimed that the Senate Intelligence Committee was eyeing a "$10 billion Russian investment fund whose chief executive met with a member of President Donald Trump's transition team four days before Trump's inauguration."

The story, written by investigative reporter Frank, was posted on Thursday and deleted late Friday. More than an hour after BuzzFeed News contacted CNN about the deletion, an editor's note appeared on CNN website saying that the story "did not meet CNN's editorial standards and has been retracted."

The note also apologized to Anthony Scaramucci, a member of Trump's orbit who had been named in the story (and who later tweeted that the apology was accepted).

The retraction sent CNN scrambling to deal with the fallout over the weekend, even within parts of the news operation that weren't involved in the retracted report. On Saturday, CNNMoney executive editor Rich Barbieri sent a note to staffers saying that nobody should publish any content involving Russia without coming first to him and another CNN vice president, according to the email, which was obtained by BuzzFeed News.

Sources close to the network said that CNN Worldwide President Jeff Zucker was involved with the internal investigation into the story's handling.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stevenperlb...ND4#.bmk6YyopJ

Well well well, the chickens have come home to roost!
    C-C-C-Can't Stump the Trump!

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont think anyone is surprised, everyone is posting fake news these days.

Nah, not everyone. Just the cuck liberal "news" networks.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they were the bastion of fake news you stupidly claim they are, wouldn't they keep the story up? Why would they delete fake news and fire people if they are a fake news outlet?

OP - it isn't fake news, it is a mistake. Corrected and moved on.

Please be rational for your next post OP.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    If they were the bastion of fake news you stupidly claim they are, wouldn't they keep the story up? Why would they delete fake news and fire people if they are a fake news outlet?
    people learn politics from 9gag these days.

Good to see some accountability from CNN, hopefully others will follow suit. Don't really care which side of the political spectrum you are in.

At least CNN retracts stories, fox just keeps making more bullshit news (i didnt say fake, im sure they believe their nonsense)

shhhh news networks keeping themselves accountable is why everything they post is fake news! no further thought needed!

10+ Year Old Account
    Are people surprised?

well for one, the firings would make this story seem like an isolated incident, and CNN could be like "We're shocked that this happened this one time!".

Everything is fake news to some people. Unless it praises Trump in a very good light. (ironically, that is fake news. Trump hasn't done anything worthy of mass praise)

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post

How is that not fake news?

Did the definition suddenly change?

The topic they published about is a pretty hot and toxic.

They wanted a headline, but instead they are heading to the head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    well for one, the firings would make this story seem like an isolated incident, and CNN could be like "We're shocked that this happened this one time!".
    Only everything they put out receives just as much scrutiny...

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkerr View Post
    How is that not fake news?
    Fake news is when an individual/group or organisation deliberately creates fictional content on an on going basis for the purposes of misleading the viewers/readers.

Mistakes, media bias etc - are NOT fake news.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Volardelis View Post
    Everything is fake news to some people. Unless it praises Trump in a very good light. (ironically, that is fake news. Trump hasn't done anything worthy of mass praise)
    It's almost as if the flip side of that coin is that anything positive said about trump is fake news to some people.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    It's almost as if the flip side of that coin is that anything positive said about trump is fake news to some people.
    does such news even exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Zormis View Post
    Well well well, the chickens have come home to roost!
    I really don't know what you're on about. This is exactly how you want a responsible news organization to act when they make a mistake: Retract the article, issue an apology, and hold people accountable.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post

It's literally made up. And then pushed as news.

We can understand wanting to defend your brand, but all you're doing is keeping your head shoved in your ass. Maintain your cred bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexilius View Post
    It's literally made up. And then pushed as news.
    Yeah - it is called a mistake, and it was corrected.

Be rational dudes.

Calling everything fake news really makes it hard to attack actual fake news.