Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I hate to side with Trump supporters but I think they're better off without you.

I was like that for all of 2 hours before I realized that I would rather not lose family and friends over this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

That's why you don't discuss politics and religion over the dinner table and at work my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    That's why you don't discuss politics and religion over the dinner table and at work my friend.
    After bad experiences with both, my family has basically set this down as a rule for family gatherings. And things have been much smoother ever since.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    I know how you feel dude. I only have 4 friends that are on the same side of the political spectrum as I am. The rest of them as well as my entire family are Trump supporters. Just like you I try to be nice but when I point out clear evidence that Trump isn't what's best for this country it devolves into arguments.

Case in point, a conversation with my mom a few weeks ago. She came over asking for some gas money. She's on disability and has medical expenses out the ass. I asked her if she was on Medicaid or Medicare. She said she was only on Medicare A. After some talking I told her to watch the news carefully because the Republicans are looking to cut government funding across the board. She said "Good! They need to! The government spends way to much!"

I came so freaking close to knocking myself out with a facepalm.......

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand. I would never lose a relationship over political views.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    You would have to be really pathetic to not be able to interact with people who have different views than you.
    It isn't really different views if they are outright lying. Trump doesn't care about the every day man and woman. Look at what he has done so far. He is championing a healthcare bill that will probably directly effect these people in Alabama negatively and they don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Op is probably trolling but there are tons of stories like this. If you would seriously cut ties with blood relatives over politics, you're a psycho.
    All depends on the politics. What if said family member is in favor of something extreme like slavery? I doubt you'd be considered the psychopath for wanting to cut ties with 'em. I'm not saying trump followers want slavery back, but there can be people with insane political views that you might cut ties with if you were family.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    It isn't really different views if they are outright lying. Trump doesn't care about the every day man and woman. Look at what he has done so far. He is championing a healthcare bill that will probably directly effect these people in Alabama negatively and they don't care.
    If you don't think Trump cares about you then present an argument to the family member, have a debate. Remain rational. Alienating yourself from all other political viewpoints is not healthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    It's so much easier getting through life by pretending your significant other doesn't have fundamentally despicable viewpoints, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It's so much easier getting through life by pretending your significant other doesn't have fundamentally despicable viewpoints, right?
    Very rarely are political views "despicable", and they certainly aren't in this particular case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very rarely are political views "despicable", and they certainly aren't in this particular case.
    Promoting policies that discriminate against minorities and promote poverty and ill health? Yeah, that's pretty despicable.

Either that or they're simply stupid, which makes speaking to them in any degree of seriousness pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

My father was very much a racist bastard...haven't seen him in over 20 years. I don't miss him one bit. Probably dead by now.
    *shrugs*

Many people view others' political opinions in a hostile light, sad but true.

http://www.people-press.org/2016/06/...osity-in-2016/

Deleted
    That's sad indeed. Family is like the most closest social instance there is - you can at least roughly understand what's going on. Much less with your neighbors and not even a little on national politic. If you lose family because media are bigger than your family, or have a bigger impact then that is just sad. As family you should overcome any change outside of family.

Are you kidding? Probably 70% of my family skews blue, but the ones who are red are diehard red for life, and then we toss in my cousins who went off to college and went full Libertarian.
    Heated discussions around the dinner table at Thanksgiving are the BEST, its so much fun and now you're missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    No, you did choose to cut relationship with then due to them not thinking the same way as you about ...... politics
    Knowing that Trump is a moronic charlatan isn't politics - it is just rational thought.
    To realise that some family members are idiots also, is a little difficult to cope with.

Do you pander to their delusion, do you try and correct their errors - or leave them be.

A tough call I think.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Yeah the level of indoctrination + groupthink is pretty notable. Has a Hitler-era Germany vibe to it. No I'm not comparing Trump to Hitler (even if he's taking some things out of his early playbook).

Trump really has nothing in common with the common man, and I feel like that can be pretty objectively stated in a non-partisan manner. He is a billionaire who got his start in business by being handed several large loans from his father and grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Op is probably trolling but there are tons of stories like this. If you would seriously cut ties with blood relatives over politics, you're a psycho.
    That's pushing things, I'd probably say if someone is willing to cut ties with blood relatives there was probably more wrong with their relationship than differences of opinion over politics.

There is nothing political about this ... liking Trump as president is IRRATIONAL, not political.

If you met your relatives, and you found they had married Santa Claus, were feeding their sofa and hanging their kids on the washing line to dry after washing them in the dish washer - you wouldn't be disliking them for political views either.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Couldn't do much when daddy doesn't want to associate with the black part of the family. Either he goes away, or the rest of the family goes...that was an easy choice to make.