Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Where in the world is it easiest to get rich? No - it is not the USA. It`s in the countries with strong unions, high minimum wages, and high taxations to make sure people are taken care of if sicj, disabled or lose their jobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9UmdY0E8hU

But by all means americans, continue beleiving that the lower the wages, and the less benefits, the better it is for you society.

Deleted
    Why did have to hike so fast though?

I doubt many businesses can take this so soon. If you introduce it over a longer period, at least business can adapt to it.
    Now they do the only thing they can do: slim down the number of employees and make them work less than full-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Epileptica View Post
    Where in the world is it easiest to get rich? No - it is not the USA. It`s in the countries with strong unions, high minimum wages, and high taxations to make sure people are taken care of if sicj, disabled or lose their jobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9UmdY0E8hU

But by all means americans, continue beleiving that the lower the wages, and the less benefits, the better it is for you society.
    Bad use of Statistics is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    What evidence do you have which supports or concludes that college "should be free?"
    Scandinavia, Quality of Life rankings among others - or just basic common sense. You want your population to be educated, smart in order to increase productivity. We know low income is linked to several risk factors including early death. That alone should be a good reason to take care of your citizens and offer higher education free and accesible to everyone. As an European it's absolutely shocking and hard to understand any other way of doing it considering it's benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    Please do school me then.

I am a man who as a teenager his father lost their house and was homeless for a year until I joined the military and got a job, pus training in a skill. A man who after leaving the army found myself homeless again and found a way to go from job to job in rual North Carolina and land a job as a dishwasher, until I was able to move up to New York and get a higher paying job as Shift/Truck Supervisor. A man who spent 15 years in the Retail industry proving to my bosses that I was worth having as an employee and gaining raise after raise. Who found a higher paying Supervisor job and moved to that one. Who decided that I was tired of Retail and got a College Education with a Federal Loan from the Government FA. Who was able to find a career job that started at 35k from 22k per year.

ALL individuals (unless physically and mentally unable to gain education in a skilled trade or Profession) are able to apply for FA and use that towards getting an education for a Skilled Job or Trade rather than be complacent, take the easy road or choose not to better themselves.

And dont try to go for the single parent shtick.. With ALL the online classes there are today a single parent can do this too. There are also Career centers that offer FREE training for those who qualify or even prove that they are trying to be more. There is ALWAYS A WAY..... question is does that individual 'want' it or do they want to keep their I am entitled to everything even though I am worth nothing attitudes.

And yes I have seen and known all these walks of life through my travels. I have seen some rise and some continue to fall.
    Sure. By virtue of there being a top there must be a bottom. That means no matter what some people do, they will be on the bottom.

You should be careful about your righteous indignation toward people who work minimum wage jobs, you are unlikely to be the hardest working, most efficient, and most integral employee at your job let alone ever. I guess what I'm saying is, when your argument boils down to what you perceive to be moral failings of people you do not know, you set yourself up to be judged similarly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    Bad use of Statistics is bad.
    At what point were the statistics bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    a) Yes, but that's because of other factors kicking in, not because of the minimum wage itself which is what is being studied and discussed.
    No data exist in a vacuum, it can take up to 6 months for someone to find a new job my point still stands. If the labor market evens shocks out over the long run studying shocks is simply an intellectual exercise but bear no relevance to how minimum wage affects the labor market.

13 Dollars seem right in my mind,

I get paid 9.57 (that's converted from pound 7.50)

My bosses own three large stores and I work between the three of them. I'm solely responsible for unpacking all deliverers off the trucks (that's about 5 pallets at the minimum every Wednesday), then bits and bobs through out the week, sometimes large unscheduled delieverys if somethings pop up cheap from the whole salers, like the 500 camping chairs we just had in.

I also clean all 3 stores, do the restocking, pricing, customer services and run a single man security that consists of when I have a spare minute I run to one of the shops and walk around following dodgy looking people. Oh two of the stores I also put out the front display in the mornings and at night time bring all 3 in.

I'm on our minimal wage here, which is the 7 50 stated as a grown ass man, I usually work 6 days on and 1 day off, but in the height of summer I've done 20 days on the trott multiple times. I don't have a dedicated hour lunch break, I have 5 minutes to rush it down and carry on, I've been with these guys since they started and I've never had a 'voluntary' pay rise or promotion. One of the bosses, lives in my flat with me as his house is over a hour away from here. It's rent free but he chips in with food costs every other week. Oh, before he started this new business 5 years ago, I worked for him under his other business for 2 years, And to finish off, Sometimes they bring in kids 12-13 years old to do stock as well, but they usually quit; Also when these kids join, they get told their wage is 4.05 (GBP) but they get a instant pay rise to a fiver. One kid got told he can have higher than the minimum before he even started, when I asked why, and why I've never had that treatment; "You're not worth more than that" Nearly a decade of giving up nearly every half term and summer to work for them, and that's the answer I got.

Why do I stay? Because I need the money - the only bright side of this job, it's seasonal so it's all extra income over the summer when I'd usually not be working. I'd quite happily sit here and shut up for 10.20 GBP (that's converted from 13 dollars) an hour. But this little rant is why I rant at fucks who think they deserve 15 USD (or equivalent) an hour to flip burgers, don't have a clue what real work is and that's more than us fucking graduate's get paid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    I mean, maybe if you ignore math.
    Weak, Nexx226.

Quote Originally Posted by uxzuigal View Post
    "Go to school and get a skill" is a ridicilous argument. We need people across all of society, including garbage men, service men, industrial works etc- many of whom are earning total shit wages AND several thousand of them are actual college students not getting a job (a real issue in the US atm). So no - getting in debt for something that should be free (education) isn't a magical solution to your problems.
    its their problem they are choosing wrong schools then - if its common knowledge that some diplomas as worth as much as toilet paper then why people are so stupid to chase them anyway . its their own fault for going to shit college and expecting god knows what after graduation - a lot of them are just wasteing their time and their parents money - its their fault for choosing wrong not goverment's .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post

My bosses own three large stores and I work between the three of them. I'm solely responsible for unpacking all deliverers off the trucks (that's about 5 pallets at the minimum every Wednesday), then bits and bobs through out the week, sometimes large unscheduled delieverys if somethings pop up cheap from the whole salers, like the 500 camping chairs we just had in.

I also clean all 3 stores, do the restocking, pricing, customer services and run a single man security that consists of when I have a spare minute I run to one of the shops and walk around following dodgy looking people. Oh two of the stores I also put out the front display in the mornings and at night time bring all 3 in.
    so you are doin menial physical work that anyone can do and you can be replaced imidiately without any losses to the company - why was it that you deserve more then minimum wage again ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    You don't get to tell me I don't understand, then when I tell you I worked fast food, you deflect. This isn't anecdotal. If you're 30 working at mcdonalds, you're a fuck up. If that's your peak, the only work you can do, you're not an equal member of society. The law doesn't say everyone should have a living wage. Not that the term is even defined. You can live off minimum wage just fine. You just won't live on your own or eat steak every night.

Your opinion doesn't matter. I'm just telling you reality.
    and that is sad harsh reality - maybe if people accepted it and do something with their lives they wouldnt have to whine so much about unfairness in life

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    its their problem they are choosing wrong schools then - if its common knowledge that some diplomas as worth as much as toilet paper then why people are so stupid to chase them anyway . its their own fault for going to shit college and expecting god knows what after graduation - a lot of them are just wasteing their time and their parents money - its their fault for choosing wrong not goverment's .

- - - Updated - - -

so you are doin menial physical work that anyone can do and you can be replaced imidiately without any losses to the company - why was it that you deserve more then minimum wage again ?

- - - Updated - - -

and that is sad harsh reality - maybe if people accepted it and do something with their lives they wouldnt have to whine so much about unfairness in life
    Oh bless your cotton socks, you're adorable, clueless, but adorable

If you read my post correctly, I never once said I deserve more than someone else, I said I deserve more than I'm getting,

Anyone with a shred of decency pays their staff correctly in accordance to what their doing. I'm not even going to go into complete loyalty to the firm, I'm being under paid and that's that and someone doing something 1000 times easier is getting overpaid. Once again, that is not me saying I deserve more than them, overpaid? yea sure I think that, but that's just them being lucky for being in a job at the right time at the right place.

Oh just to finish, there's a reason why I'm doing it independently. Every other fucker attempting to do this job along side me, get's sacked. Either physically not able to do the hours, shit customer skills, clueless with stock management, I've yet to see someone be able to last more than two weeks. So no, not just 'anyone' else can do it,

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Oh bless your cotton socks, you're adorable, clueless, but adorable

If you read my post correctly, I never once said I deserve more than someone else, I said I deserve more than I'm getting,

Anyone with a shred of decency pays their staff correctly in accordance to what their doing. I'm not even going to go into complete loyalty to the firm, I'm being under paid and that's that and someone doing something 1000 times easier is getting overpaid. Once again, that is not me saying I deserve more than them, overpaid? yea sure I think that, but that's just them being lucky for being in a job at the right time at the right place.

Oh just to finish, there's a reason why I'm doing it independently. Every other fucker attempting to do this job along side me, get's sacked. Either physically not able to do the hours, shit customer skills, clueless with stock management, I've yet to see someone be able to last more than two weeks. So no, not just 'anyone' else can do it,
    You can only be underpaid by choice. If you don't like the fact you are not paid enough find a employer willing to pay you what you are worth. If you can not then you are not overpaid. You are simply making what you are worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Maybe if we all lived in dream land. In reality that's not how it works at all.
    That is the only way it works in reality. If you can't get work that pays more you are working for what you are worth. To claim otherwise is fantasy.

No, if you can't get work that pays more it could be due to a number of outside factors that have nothing to do with the individuals worth. It isn't like there are infinite jobs...
    Then someone who is worth what they are getting paid has filled the spot. Welcome to the free market comrade. The only people being overpaid are those on minimum wage.

Nobody being paid minimum wage is overpaid. Most of them are underpaid as it's not a livable wage. Unless you're saying they shouldn't be alive... And you claimed everyone can make what they're worth. If that's true then that job that's filled by someone else shouldn't have an affect on my ability to fill a similar position if we have the same qualifications.
    He is already employed that in itself is a merit as it saves the company from processing a new employee. People being paid minimum wage are the only ones capable of being overpaid in a free market system you can take that as you will but it is the truth of it.

You aren't seeing the whole picture here. It's not a simple "oh, just go to a ivy league college and you'll be fine" - many never get that option. And these other jobs that get paid shit, which are essential for the country to go around - should be paid properly. Trust me, you wouldn't like the world if no one got you trash, no one cared to make consumer electronics, work in Wall-Mart, resturants.. Hey, fancy putting food on plates, washing it and putting it back in it's place when you are out of town? Or what about postal services, no one needs mail, right?

If they are doing an essential part in the society - you sure as hell should have a livable sallery to go with it.
    Last edited by uxzuigal; 2017-06-27 at 01:12 PM.

Nobody being paid minimum wage is overpaid. Most of them are underpaid as it's not a livable wage. Unless you're saying they shouldn't be alive... And you claimed everyone can make what they're worth. If that's true then that job that's filled by someone else shouldn't have an affect on my ability to fill a similar position if we have the same qualifications.
    you are cofusing livable with comfortable - you can easily live off minimum wage - you cant live comfortable - but then i hope you are not one of those people who dream about living comfortable life out of flipping burgers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by uxzuigal View Post
    You aren't seeing the whole picture here. It's not a simple "oh, just go to a ivy league college and you'll be fine" - many never get that option. And these other jobs that get paid shit, which are essential for the country to go around - should be paid properly. Trust me, you wouldn't like the world if no one got you trash, no one cared to make consumer electronics, work in Wall-Mart, resturants.. Hey, fancy putting food on plates, washing it and putting it back in it's place when you are out of town? Or what about postal services, no one needs mail, right?

If they are doing an essential part in the society - you sure as hell should have a livable sallery to go with it.
    who the heck is talking baout ivy league - what im talking about is that poor people shouldnt take stupid irrelevant majors like liberal arts etc only should pursue diplomas that nearly always guarantee you decent job - you odnt hear about MDs , architects , engineers ,accountants , lawyers having trouble to make a living - people choosing stupid majors are the one at fault.

and those people are payed properly - they just dont deserve much for work they do because thats work that literaly anyone can do - even illiterate immigrants from mexico - its their own choice to choose a shitty job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you know what a livable wage means? It means enough money to meet their basic needs. The current minimum wage of $7.25/hr doesn't meet that standard.
    You're aware you're dealing with one of those barely-haves type people -- He got himself tied up in this nonsense in one of the previous threads and revealed that he's barely above $15/hour and like much of the rest of those banging on against it are threatened by low-end workers receiving a higher wage.

It's almost sad that the high wage earners on this forum -- the doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists, and restaurant owners are all in favor of a wage increase while the mid-range worker banging on about skills and education are the ones who cry foul about it.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

You gotta love the stupid bootstrap people. Guess what idiots if everyone went to school and tried to get those white collar jobs you think pay better then first of all the salary of those jobs would be less as there would be much more competition for them and there aren't enough of those jobs anyway. Also no one would do the blue collar work a society needs to function.

If someone is doing a job then it's a needed function of society so yes they should be payed enough to survive in that society.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 2017-06-27 at 01:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    By all means, let's not stop now. Increase the minimal wage some more, so that the people in low-skill job can actually afford having a life. I mean, it's not likely at all that they will die of starvation once their employer goes under.
    Do any of you actually understand what people who get paid after working a job do with that money?

Because I know what I do with the money I get paid with.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    They want to feel superior to those making $7.25 and if they start making the same as those making $15 it lessens the self-worth of those who held that up as an example of them being better than others. It's pretty sad, but I can understand searching for self-worth anywhere you can find it when your value is so low in the marketplace.
    I can see your point there as a great deal of our work force is vastly underpaid skilled or not. It was why I linked that Coach Cleaner job on the previous page. When you have a large portion of your workforce starting out with a college degree that's making less than someone cleaning out train cars that should say something about how ass-backwards the Free Market is.

But people want to believe that $15/hour is some sort of God send and for that they'll fight tooth and nail to defend their own low wages instead of aligning with their fellow workers. The end result of that is continued low wages across the board -- no matter the position.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Do any of you actually understand what people who get paid after working a job do with that money?

Because I know what I do with the money I get paid with.
    Hookers and Blow?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)