Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Some questions about 2nd generation Death Knights

Hi,

I have some questions about 2nd generation Death Knights. I know that most of them were fallen paladins, but there were also others, like Thassarian and Koltira. One of original Horseman was dwarf. Is it possible that some of them were other race? Like more dwarves or orcs? On the wow.gamepedia I found this: "Second generation death knights male orc are voiced by Danilo Di Julio." I've never been in original Naxxramas, so I don't know what could be found there...

Second Generation death knights were still made by bestowing a powerful runeblade onto a knight, empowering to an emissary of death under sway of the Lich King. Numerous embittered knights and paladins took up this unholy gift of power, despite the costs of free will.

The third generation DKs also use runeweapons, same as later generations. But they seem less bound to a specific weapon they picked up for their power, the way Arthas and other second generation knights were.

As for races, I suppose you're limited to races that were engaging the Scourge in Lordaeron and Northrend at the time. So yeah, you're looking at Humans, Dwarves, and possibly a few High Elves.

There were very few Orcs and other races around Lordaeron at the time of the "2nd generation Death Knights". At this time the Scourge and Cult of the Damned were almost entirely Humans, them being the predominant race in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The Amani were also most likely engaging the Scourge, just noone bothered to give them any showtime apart from Zul'Mashar.
    I don't think the Scourge would have bothered much with the trolls during this time, nor vice versa. The Scourge was entirely focussed on breaking the major powers in the northern EK. The Amani, being little more than scattered, primitive tribes hanging out in the deep woods would have been very low on their list of targets, and the trolls wouldn't have gone after the Scourge either.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2017-06-26 at 11:04 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    There were very few Orcs and other races around Lordaeron at the time of the "2nd generation Death Knights". At this time the Scourge and Cult of the Damned were almost entirely Humans, them being the predominant race in the region.
    Arthas and Kel'thuzad destroyed a rather large portion of Blackrock orcs to reach a demon gate to commune with Archimonde, it's not unlikely that he raised a few of the stronger ones behind the scenes.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Arthas and Kel'thuzad destroyed a rather large portion of Blackrock orcs to reach a demon gate to commune with Archimonde, it's not unlikely that he raised a few of the stronger ones behind the scenes.
    Maybe. But I don't see any of them becomming Death Knights, at least not the 2nd generation type.

7+ Year Old Account
    Maybe. But I don't see any of them becomming Death Knights, at least not the 2nd generation type.
    As shown during the DK order hall campaign, the deceased are able to be brought back as Death Knights.

Nazgrim wasn't dead for more than, what, 5 years? Thoras Trollbane was dead a hell of a lot longer than that.

As it pertains to 2nd generation Death Knights as a whole, all races are able to be risen and become them. In-game it is explained that certain races that showed up as playable AFTER WotLK were able to be DK's because of location.

Worgen outside of Shadowfang Keep and Goblins... well, I have actually forgotten about Goblins. The DK intro quest line has you kill a fellow race member and they beg you to "remember" who you once were... to no avail.

Anyway, at this point in the game and lore, any race can become a 2nd generation Death Knight. The real argument should who is ABLE to create this Death Knights? Only the Lich King? The Lich King's "champion" so really just the Lich King by proxy?

What exactly is a second generation DK?
    If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole.

Quote Originally Posted by awbaker View Post
    What exactly is a second generation DK?
    the first death knights were the spirit of orc chieftains put into the bodies of great champions. The "second generation" are the current death knights, raised by the lich king, and his champion.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    the first death knights were the spirit of orc chieftains put into the bodies of great champions. The "second generation" are the current death knights, raised by the lich king, and his champion.
    G1 DKs were Shadow Council warlock spirits put into the bodies of fallen knights.
    G2 DKs were embittered former paladins that joined the LK for power.
    G3 DKs are fallen heroes who were resurrected by the LK.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...And G4 DKs are DKs raised by the Ebon Blade including the current Four Horsemen.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus04 View Post
    Hi,

I have some questions about 2nd generation Death Knights. I know that most of them were fallen paladins, but there were also others, like Thassarian and Koltira. One of original Horseman was dwarf. Is it possible that some of them were other race? Like more dwarves or orcs? On the wow.gamepedia I found this: "Second generation death knights male orc are voiced by Danilo Di Julio." I've never been in original Naxxramas, so I don't know what could be found there...
    All the races that faced the scourge could've been turned, a lot of high elves, dwarves, humans and so on yeah... also Thassarian and Koltira... yeah, Imean not all Death Knights of the 2nd gen are bound to a weapon, I don't remember seeing both of them with the same weapon, and then we ofcourse know Darion Mograine exchanged the Ashbringer for two Hungering Cold swords. But that was -after- the Lich King's control on him was non-existant, so the whole runeblade bound thing applies only when the Lich King controlled them It seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    ...And G4 DKs are DKs raised by the Ebon Blade including the current Four Horsemen.
    False, only -3- of them are G4 don't forget one of them Is still G2 technically. I don't consider -him- 4th Gen just cause he was reanimated again that doesn't make him a new generation. You don't restart a PC and say It's a new gen PC.
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    Orc chieftains? What? No no no, it was the spirits of Gul'dans necrolytes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing a Worgen DK have me thinking, weren't the Worgens immune to undeath? Does my race/class combo even makes sense?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...trife/advanced
    WoW: Winterstrife, Level 120 Human Paladin | ESO: Strife Valor, CP 610 Dunmer Magblade | GW2: Inquisitor Strife, Level 80 Human Renegede.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterstrife View Post
    Playing a Worgen DK have me thinking, weren't the Worgens immune to undeath? Does my race/class combo even makes sense?
    They were immune to the plague, but not the Lich King's powers. Worgen DKs were also servants of Arugal, and the Lich King had taken Arugal's spirit for a small Worgen army. At least, that's what we can piece together from Silverpine and Grizzly Hills quests along with the quest A Special Surprise.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterstrife View Post
    The Worgen are supposed to be immune to undeath, yes. I don't think Worgen DKs ever been explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    I'm not sure they can be called "4th generation". They aren't really any different to the G3 Death Knights, they're just corpses raised into undeath and handed a sword.

Deleted
    The Worgen are supposed to be immune to undeath, yes. I don't think Worgen DKs ever been explained.
    It is stated that Worgen Death Knights are in fact Arugals Silverpine Worgen and they arent actually raised, but the lich king shattered their bestial instincts. Wouldnt that make them the only Death Knights that aren't undead?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Orc chieftains? What? No no no, it was the spirits of Gul'dans necrolytes.
    Wrong, both of you They were souls of Shadow Council warlocks put in human bodies. Gul'dan's necrolytes were sacrificed during ritual that created them.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FunctionalSTR View Post
    Anyway, at this point in the game and lore, any race can become a 2nd generation Death Knight. The real argument should who is ABLE to create this Death Knights? Only the Lich King? The Lich King's "champion" so really just the Lich King by proxy?
    I think because we used a runeblade that was empowered by the Lich King himself, the 'champion' acts as the proxy of the Lich King, so therefor only the Lich King can create true Death Knights now..

Then again, there have been other necromancers in the past

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The first generation of Death Knights were created by Gul'dan ostensibly as weapons for Warchief Orgrim Doomhammer. They were created using the bodies of slain human Knights, with the spirits of the Shadow Council (killed by Doomhammer when he usurped the title of Warchief from Blackhand) inhabiting them. They wielded truncheons imbued with the spirits of the Necrolytes that served Gul'dan, granting them Necromantic abilities in addition to their existing powers.

The second generation of Death Knights were a collection of individuals, including many former and fallen-away Paladins of the Silver Hand, who flocked to the banner of the Scourge based on promises of power and immortality through undeath. There's not a lot of uniformity to their ranks but they constitute some of the most powerful of the Scourge's "heroes." The third generation of Death Knights were a refinement by Arthas, envisioned to be a powerful regiment of Death Knights that he would eventually sacrifice at Light's Hope in an attempt to draw out and slay Tirion Fordring.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus04 View Post
    Wrong, both of you They were souls of Shadow Council warlocks put in human bodies. Gul'dan's necrolytes were sacrificed during ritual that created them.
    Ah right, the necrolytes were, basically, turned into necromancy batteries, in the form of the truncheons carried by the Death Knights.