Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    "We love Trump because he cares so much about the everyday man and woman."

Was at lunch with relatives from Alabama ( I live in PA )..... and when they said that, I literally almost choked on my food. I tried to be nice, but it turned heated. I no longer can consider them family.

I know of many families that have "lost" relatives with Trump followers..... I have never experienced this with any other president.
    My parents are devout Christians, I am an atheist they are called family for a reason we don't a choice in the kind of crazy we are related to.

Was at lunch with relatives from Alabama ( I live in PA )..... and when they said that, I literally almost choked on my food. I tried to be nice, but it turned heated. I no longer can consider them family.

I know of many families that have "lost" relatives with Trump followers..... I have never experienced this with any other president.
    Sounds like you have a smart family! What happened to you?
    C-C-C-Can't Stump the Trump!

Deleted
    That's very sad. Parents should teach their kids what is going on in this world so this will never happen.

After election night my roommate's mom told him she didn't want to speak to him again since he voted for Trump. Don't really know the situation as of now, but it is still a horrible thing to say to your son.

15+ Year Old Account
    Good, good. Let the divide become deeper. Soon they will get to their guns...

You got problems bro. Most of which is hating people who disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    There is nothing political about this ... liking Trump as president is IRRATIONAL, not political.

If you met your relatives, and you found they had married Santa Claus, were feeding their sofa and hanging their kids on the washing line to dry after washing them in the dish washer - you wouldn't be disliking them for political views either.
    Trump is a politician so yeah it is political.

As stupid as their opinion may be, cutting family out over politics is silly. You're taking yourself way too important if that's your reaction. Nobody in politics knows about you or gives a shit what you think beyond your vote. You're not gaining anything by this and are losing family.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I've alienated plenty of people because of politics. Honestly, I don't care. If someone is ignorant, I'm going to point it out. If someone is being a hypocrite, I'm going to point it out. I don't care who you are, spreading ignorance, and teaching it to your children is pathetic, and you are not worth my time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    I don't understand. I would never lose a relationship over political views.
    I am inclined agree. I don't necessarily have to agree with someone's opinion on every single topic - as long as I get along with them overall and on a personal level, I am fine with it. There probably isn't a single person out there who I agree with on everything anyway. This is especially true when it comes to actual family members, it would take much more than that for me to even consider cutting ties.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2017-06-27 at 11:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You Americas take your politics way to seriously I swear lol. I mean we are talking fanboying levels lol. America is going to have such a political divide it will cause war if you guys don't simmer it down.

In my family (in the UK) we have Labour, Conservative, UKIP and Green Party supporters and we get along like a stream, even if our political views don't. :P

Must be something in the water out there. Take it out on the guy in charge or the people that couldn't be assed to vote, not the people who have a god given right to vote whoever they want. That alone should be enough.
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-06-27 at 11:50 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump is a politician so yeah it is political.
    Two flaws in your short sentence:
    1. Trump is NOT a politician
    2. It is not political - it relates to rational thought.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    No, you did choose to cut relationship with then due to them not thinking the same way as you about ...... politics

* if you do not think about the world the way i do , i will no longer be around you !!! * really think about it for 10 mins and let it sink in ... is that really the kind of person you want to be ?

i have friends and family i do not agree with about many things .... that do not make them less family or friends, we just know what topics to avoid and we do not try to push our agendas on to the others. i see the world one way they another.
    While i agree with you on some of your points, I must say that if they say that "..... because he loves the everyday man and woman...." With a straight face im not sure i could keep in contact, because that would be so different from my worldview and to be fair completely intelectually dishonest a view as i could think of. Because lets be real Trump most certainly do NOt think or care about the everyday person. Atleast not according to his actions.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

The level of willful ignorance when it comes to Trump is staggering. I would have to say I would have done the same thing. It sucks though, regardless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    No, you did choose to cut relationship with then due to them not thinking the same way as you about ...... politics

* if you do not think about the world the way i do , i will no longer be around you !!! * really think about it for 10 mins and let it sink in ... is that really the kind of person you want to be ?

i have friends and family i do not agree with about many things .... that do not make them less family or friends, we just know what topics to avoid and we do not try to push our agendas on to the others. i see the world one way they another.
    No, that is not correct at all. It's fucking asinine that people like you, who can put together complete sentences, don't understand the level of deplorableness that Trump has already wrought on the U.S. Five months in and five investigations. He lies with every breath he takes.

We have people on the deep left begging for Bush 43 to come back.

It's also astounding that you can be friends with people like that. Would you be friends with people who supported Hitler? Or would that be "just politics"?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    You would have to be really pathetic to not be able to interact with people who have different views than you.
    The pathetic person is the one who doesn't stand up for what they believe in, and lets others lie without correcting the lie, especially when people are dying over the lie.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    You would have to be really pathetic to not be able to interact with people who have different views than you.
    I'm inclined to agree.

The world would be a much better place if people ceased clinging to a self righteous 'us vs them' mentality where politics are concerned. Generally speaking political issues are very nuanced and complicated to a greater extent than many like to portray. I have family members who are very liberal and other family members who are very conservative. The same can be said of friends, too.

We don't argue about politics. We agree to disagree as needed. Ultimately you only have one family and whilst friends can technically be replaced it's hard to truly get over the shattering of a solid friendship especially if it's over something rather trivial.

We're on the other side... my wife and I did not support Trump and voted for someone else. Her parents seem to be acting differently towards us, than before the election. Shouldn't it be us that are mad at them for voting for Trump? They don't see a problem with him... We put family over politics every time, but it's a little frustrating when we go to visit them and leave early with hurt feelings of exclusion, like we are being left out of stuff they are doing. Just because we don't support Trump and think the country is in a dire spot, doesn't mean you don't treat family like family.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    When you let politics drive your life, that's what happens.

Usually, it's a good sign of lack of empathy and/or understanding when you decide to shun someone based on political ideology.

Same goes for those who do the same to you.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    When you let politics drive your life, that's what happens.

Usually, it's a good sign of lack of empathy and/or understanding when you decide to shun someone based on political ideology.

Same goes for those who do the same to you.
    hateful fucks passing their shit off as "it's just my political ideology" deserve to be shunned.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've learned with my family to just smile and nod and to not engage. Fortunately 99% of the time they are just ranting to listen to themselves talk and don't actually ask for my opinion or input. But hearing every right wing conspiracy tossed at me every time we talk sure has taken a toll on my respect for them.

And it sure has affected my relationship with them given that they've taken stances on issues that directly affect me negatively. Kind of hard to maintain a healthy relationship when your family is stabbing you in the back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    hateful fucks passing their shit off as "it's just my political ideology" deserve to be shunned.
    Well, now that you say it, perhaps they are better off without all the negativity that "shunning individuals" brings in their life. So that's perhaps even positive.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..