Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Everyone's immortal in WoW

There has been a lot of posts about Demon's immortality in WoW, and even more posts arguing if a certain area is Fel-saturated or not.

It got me thinking. Isn't it roughly the same for every other races?

When a human (Or Orc, Troll, Draenei...) die, their souls travel to Shadowland, or in case of Paladin, some light filled heaven. Their souls can still response if we call on them, with all the wisdom of their former glory, as shown with Orc's ancestral worship, and Uther's ghost appearing when Ret Paladin asks him where is Ashbringer.

We know that Spirit Healer is canon (Val'kyr not affiliated to Helya or Odyn). So it means all the dead hero in WoW can just walk up to the Spirit Healers and ask them nicely to restore them back to life with no (apparent) ill effect. Necromancers/DK/Sylvanas's Valkyr can raise the dead into undeath without the subject's consent. Basically. Basically, barring some special spells or weapons designed to destroy souls, a blade through the chest isn't going to stop anyone from coming back, there's nothing stopping Blizzard from doing it, except may be the fan's backlash for bad story writing.

Which is just like Demons, the only exception is that, they don't need a Spirit Healer, their body does it naturally, unless they are destroyed in Twisting Nether.

We have a lot of other similar immortals too. Wild God like Cenarius regenerate in Emerald Dream when they are killed, Elemental Lords cannot be perma-killed outside their respective Elemental Plane...

Does it mean, to perma-kill a Wild God, we need to kill their souls in Emerald Dream, and to properly destroy a Spirit, we need to do it in Shadowland?

To quote Arthas: "Doesn't anyone stay dead anymore?"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nothingsjim View Post
    There has been a lot of posts about Demon's immortality in WoW, and even more posts arguing if a certain area is Fel-saturated or not.

It got me thinking. Isn't it roughly the same for every other races?

When a human (Or Orc, Troll, Draenei...) die, their souls travel to Shadowland, or in case of Paladin, some light filled heaven. Their souls can still response if we call on them, with all the wisdom of their former glory, as shown with Orc's ancestral worship, and Uther's ghost appearing when Ret Paladin asks him where is Ashbringer.

We know that Spirit Healer is canon (Val'kyr not affiliated to Helya or Odyn). So it means all the dead hero in WoW can just walk up to the Spirit Healers and ask them nicely to restore them back to life with no (apparent) ill effect. Necromancers/DK/Sylvanas's Valkyr can raise the dead into undeath without the subject's consent. Basically. Basically, barring some special spells or weapons designed to destroy souls, a blade through the chest isn't going to stop anyone from coming back, there's nothing stopping Blizzard from doing it, except may be the fan's backlash for bad story writing.

Which is just like Demons, the only exception is that, they don't need a Spirit Healer, their body does it naturally, unless they are destroyed in Twisting Nether.

We have a lot of other similar immortals too. Wild God like Cenarius regenerate in Emerald Dream when they are killed, Elemental Lords cannot be perma-killed outside their respective Elemental Plane...

Does it mean, to perma-kill a Wild God, we need to kill their souls in Emerald Dream, and to properly destroy a Spirit, we need to do it in Shadowland?

To quote Arthas: "Doesn't anyone stay dead anymore?"
    We killed Ursoc in the Emerald Nightmare (which is the corrupted Dream) and he showed up as a spirit in the purified Dream afterwards. Seems like they're totally unkillable.

Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    We killed Ursoc in the Emerald Nightmare (which is the corrupted Dream) and he showed up as a spirit in the purified Dream afterwards. Seems like they're totally unkillable.
    After having fully unlocked the stories of my artifact weapons as a druid, yes, they pretty much are unkillable. They were given their powers DIRECTLY from a Titan Keeper herself - Freya - when she was roaming Azeroth.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    the canon spirit healers don't bring people back, they are guides.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Making new characters is too hard apparently.

Even though some get ignored completely; see Freya having no impact in the Emerald Dream, Wrathion being MIA etc.

Gotta recycle the same guys 40 times.

Resurrection is actually a very rare, powerful ability. It doesn't happen very often. If they did, Varian would be sitting on the throne right now since Anduin would have just thrown him a rez. Our repeated pops back to life are just a game function.

Quote Originally Posted by Camthur View Post
    Resurrection is actually a very rare, powerful ability. It doesn't happen very often. If they did, Varian would be sitting on the throne right now since Anduin would have just thrown him a rez. Our repeated pops back to life are just a game function.
    A very "rare and powerful ability" that all hybrids get before Lv20 and can cast it on anyone by wiggling their fingers and spending 20% of base mana. Oh how game mechanics sometimes trump lore

Quote Originally Posted by Camthur View Post
    Welll.. can't throw someone a Rez when they are utterly obliterated. No body, no Rez.

The spirit healer rezzes us because it's "not our time" yet. Technically, lore-wise, we players have never died. The spirit healer is mostly for game mechanics.

Showing up as a spirit is not the same as living forever. the person is still dead.

Also, almost no one in wow is immortal. Immortal means you CANNOT die, period. If you are able to die in any way, then you are a mortal being. Most beings in wow have longevity, not immortality. I'm sick of this word being used to mean anyone who just lives for a long time.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    The spirit healer rezzes us because it's "not our time" yet. Technically, lore-wise, we players have never died. The spirit healer is mostly for game mechanics.

Showing up as a spirit is not the same as living forever. the person is still dead.

Also, almost no one in wow is immortal. Immortal means you CANNOT die, period. If you are able to die in any way, then you are a mortal being. Most beings in wow have longevity, not immortality. I'm sick of this word being used to mean anyone who just lives for a long time.
    Exactly this!

We cannot perma-die because of gameplay reasons, obviously!

But, I'm glad the spirit healer is canon. I would love to see more lore regarding her/it.. and maybe also the shadow lands, hell or the undead lands.
    I kinda wanna know who rules the shadow lands, who goes there and who doesn't. Does the light have anything to do with it?

Is it like heaven and hel
    How does the void relate to it? And how does Hellheim and the Halls of Valor relate to this?

So many questions...

10+ Year Old Account

Our characters have canonically died several times. Once was when we were killed by Arthas, another was when our souls were sucked into Helheim. Demon Hunters die once in their starting zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Our characters have canonically died several times. Once was when we were killed by Arthas, another was when our souls were sucked into Helheim. Demon Hunters die once in their starting zone.
    Any person who died fighting arthas is still dead, or now undead. Sylvanas sees gore bits from them on top of ICC
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Welll.. can't throw someone a Rez when they are utterly obliterated. No body, no Rez.
    True Resurrection
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Technically, lore-wise, we players have never died.
    Arthas most definitely killed us all deader than doornails.

The DH dies during their starting experience. Its a deliberate story point (that you come back like a demon).

We've died.

I wonder if the netherlord transcends all realities and is on par with a demon lord.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheapnecrolyte View Post
    I wonder if the netherlord transcends all realities and is on par with a demon lord.
    The netherlord isnt a demon.
    Holy shit lol

Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    The netherlord isnt a demon.
    The Nether transcends all realities. Does the netherlord need to be a demon in the Nether to transcend all realities? Or can the netherlord just be a warlock in the Nether?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheapnecrolyte View Post
    The Nether transcends all realities. Does the netherlord need to be a demon in the Nether to transcend all realities? Or can the netherlord just be a warlock in the Nether?
    You would be in an area that transcends all realities. You yourself wouldn't in the way demons do.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I really, really wish they would rename healer-based resurrections as resuscitations. That's basically what it is, healing the fatal wound and attempting to restart the heart, sometimes it works, sometimes not. This would eliminate a lot of confusion.

The player characters have died only a few times in-lore, and, of course, all those events wouldn't have been done by the same person.

One such time was against the Lich King, and us having been resurected by Terenas, probably channeling the power of all the vengeful souls in Frostmourne.

As for the Helheim thing, I don't think we actually do there, but rather just entered it through the portal.

As for spirit healers, them guiding souls back to life is something that can happen, but is extremely rare.