Thread: WoW is 80 GB!

WoW is 80 GB!

So I was removing games I dont play to save up some space on my SSD.

When I see this!
    https://i.gyazo.com/18bc1056837f408f...dc5a409ae0.png

80.6 GB and I dont use any addons.

Is it supposed to be 80GB?

If not, how could I possible fix this?

Nah mine is 40gb. Although im on a fresh install, i think i remember seeing mine at over 100gb at some point in the past.

Reinstalling should fix it, maybe repair? (not sure on that one)

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't remember how big Vanilla was back in the day.

Yeah, I reinstalled recently and it dropped the size considerably. Doing a fresh install every few years seems to fix a whole host of issues as well.

Deleted
    Isn't it possible that WoW is somehow duplicating itself when you have 2ACCs connected to your b.net or something? Since my WoW folder is 40.9GB but when I go to unninstall apps in windows it says 81.8GB (exact 2x the amount of WoW folder). I checked with my friend and it's the same for him: 2x the amount of WoW folder. I don't have PTR installed so that shouldn't be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Nah mine is 40gb. Although im on a fresh install, i think i remember seeing mine at over 100gb at some point in the past.

Reinstalling should fix it, maybe repair? (not sure on that one)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I can't remember how big Vanilla was back in the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If you have a decent internet connection the easy answer is to delete and reinstall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riistov View Post
    Yeah, I reinstalled recently and it dropped the size considerably. Doing a fresh install every few years seems to fix a whole host of issues as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantim View Post
    Isn't it possible that WoW is somehow duplicating itself when you have 2ACCs connected to your b.net or something? Since my WoW folder is 40.9GB but when I go to unninstall apps in windows it says 81.8GB (exact 2x the amount of WoW folder). I checked with my friend and it's the same for him: 2x the amount of WoW folder. I don't have PTR installed so that shouldn't be it.
    When I checked my WoW folder, it's only 40 GB https://i.gyazo.com/c35e335559b51f10...b6c8c5e851.png

But I might aswell try a fresh install (tho I did install it just a few days ago again).. But removing bnet and everything this time.

That's weird, shows up as 80gb in my "add or remove" programs list as well.

Bug, its 40gb.

Mine shows at 108GB in Add/Remove while WoW folder is at 45GB, probably some bug with windows not liking the compression/format WoW uses for its data files.

Deleted
    Mine was roughly the same, there was a Blizzard Forum for it, I don't have a great internet connection so I didn't want to reinstall... its just old data files. Reinstall made it 40gb again.

My best guess would be that it is (at least in part) adding the size of the update to wow's install size every time you download an update, even though a lot of the patch data is changes to existing code rather than additional code. So even though the actual size of the the folder is not increasing, the registered footprint is the game size + all update sizes.

Edited for clarity.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How much do you mash your screenshot button?

Also, clean up the install. Repair/reinstall should do the trick. I'm on a 2 week old install and only 40.2GB.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    My very old install is 40G
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Deleted
    Fresh install generally fixes this, it's just a lot of data that didn't get overwritten so it remains in the data files.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    How much do you mash your screenshot button?

Also, clean up the install. Repair/reinstall should do the trick. I'm on a 2 week old install and only 40.2GB.
    Im on a 2 days install, I win?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimpan View Post
    Download TreeSize Free and see what exactly is taking up the space, and if its even accurate
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimpan View Post
    If you define winning as having either a sub-optimal install or faulty software detection, then you are clearly winning. yes.

Do you by any chance have beta/PTR installed? :P

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    If you define winning as having either a sub-optimal install or faulty software detection, then you are clearly winning. yes.

Do you by any chance have beta/PTR installed? :P
    lol if he wants to win this fight? He can be my guest. XD
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water