Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Honestly, not as long as the current system remains. The government helps by subsidizing the shit out of the internet providers, and doesn't get anything in return. The only way it will get better, is when it becomes fully wireless, or is satellite based.As it stands, the infrastructure was largely funded by taxpayer dollars, then they were stabbed in the back by the very regulators who were supposed to be there to protect them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, I pay around 85€ for landline + TV (lots of paid channels) + 2 cellphone lines (6GB data each) and a 300Mb symmetric cable connection; no data limit bullshit on it.

In SPAIN of all places. Wasn't the USA supposed to be like super advanced in this regard?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    Yep, the UK still lags behind a lot of countries in Internet speed and quality. Some parts of the EU have amazing internet, as do some parts of the USA.
    I am currently part of the BT Ultrafast trial in Swansea and I must say so far I am pretty impressed. Getting a fairly steady 200mb down and so far have had no disconnects that can't be attributed to my Hub updating its firmware at stupid o'clock in the morning. Not sure how much they intend to charge for this though: as part of agreeing to the trial I get my bband free for the duration.

If this is an indication of the overall speed and reliability of the future in the UK, things are definitely on the up and I will certainly be switching when it goes retail.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    people dont get it. I really wish we could have better net, but ALOT more has to go into our net infrastructure. Really when you buy a house, dont look at the school district or other shit, look at the location for net. I live next to the network hub for my area so i get 50megabit from dsl.
    That made me giggle. Forget all the really important things, Just focus on Internet speed!

Pay 11eur for 300/300 no limit +hdtv fttx optic in Slovakia, tho the curent wages are way lower than US's.. No stupid policies etc. Live in a house.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    That made me giggle. Forget all the really important things, Just focus on Internet speed!
    thats what matters in todays age. Iv learned more from the net since graduating than i did in 12 years in school. good net is ussually near the population so that means stores and such are covered.

I pay around 8$ for minimal speed on market in Poland what is 10 mbs

Explaination starts at about 6:30.
    Enjoy...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E-fUCm-_beM

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the internet service in america sucks. i pay about 70$ a month for an average of 20mb down 2 mb up, wheras in the eu and south korea the internet is much cheaper and better quality

with some states reintroducing caps and google putting all expansion on hiatus is there any hope of internet becoming better in america?
    You pay 70 for 20 down. I pay 40 for 1,6 down, in the third largest city in germany. There's shit internet in europe, too^^

39€ gives me 1GB/s up and down.

considering the amount of lines that would have to be replaced not for sometime... Fiber options are coming but slowly to more areas. Perhaps if the net was rule a utility like power/water it would help idk. Then again if that was done, i could see a lower flat rate and then charged by the GB for usage, and not sure how i feel about that. Also i'd wager the vast majority don't realize how far behind the US lags in net speed/price.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    the problem is that you pay for the access rather than that service. 5 years ago when I lived in the country we paid $250 a month for 10 down and 500kb/s up. It was the ONLY internet access available to us and we had to have it back when I was in HS as you needed the internet to do class assignments or you simply failed the class since we didn't have research books at the school. And you got NO time on the computer at school unless you took study hall during a select period (When study hall was in the library). Now I pay $70 a month for 260 down and 30 up. I moved 20 miles away but Im not in the country anymore.
    See how you solved your own problem by only moving 20miles away. Wish the OP could figure out why his internet service sucks. But yeah most cities offer at least 300mb service. This is the same thread thousand times over here on MMO and same thousand people dont understand.
    Last edited by oxymoronic; 2017-06-28 at 03:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends OP, where you live. There is no way the entirety of America will be getting cutting edge internet speeds, were like 100x larger than south Korea. But, there are Cities in America with fiber that is identical to SK.

Unfortunately, I live outside of Dallas city limits, so I don't get fiber in Euless. /Cry
    The best I can get is 3 megs download speed from ATT Uverse. /CryingHarderNow

Quote Originally Posted by ItsRainingMetal View Post
    39€ gives me 1GB/s up and down.
    show the speedtest

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Eastern Europe speaking here... we have already built the whole stuff twice, due to replacing copper with glass fiber.
    All of Europe is just a fraction of the size of the United States, let alone a fraction of Europe itself. There's a huge difference.

God damn that is expensive in America.... here I pay £20 (including line rental) for 30 up and about 9 down.... and I thought that was pricey at the time

10+ Year Old Account
    Internet in UK is bad. We are eons behind the rest of Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    Lol, I pay around 85€ for landline + TV (lots of paid channels) + 2 cellphone lines (6GB data each) and a 300Mb symmetric cable connection; no data limit bullshit on it.

In SPAIN of all places. Wasn't the USA supposed to be like super advanced in this regard?
    Its probably why USA has to pay for your defense. The whole of europe would be speaking russian or chinese right now if not for that super advanced USA, so remember that next time you use your words to belittle the great country.

We don't need faster internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    All of Europe is just a fraction of the size of the United States, let alone a fraction of Europe itself. There's a huge difference.
    All of Europe is somewhat bigger than the US. Hungary is the size of Indiana. But I wasn't pointing out how much we built; rather, I tried to correct the notion that we only built the latest version, being so far behind the West.