Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vhatever View Post
    Yes, when it first came out, but that was decades ago. Now it has fringe use in fringe cases. Additionally, he had setup process whereby the drugs could be discounted all the way down to a dollar if full price couldn't it be afforded. The drug was making them next to no money, and none to put into further development of a new drug or even improvements to this old one.
    A drug does not remain on the WHO list if it does not meet the guidelines, one of which is being the most effective. The listed is updated every 2 years. Just because a drug is only used in fringe cases, does not make said drug worth $75,000 per month, which is what treatment at the new price was costing. The cost was miniscule to produce. All the other stuff you are rambling about are nothing more than excuses for greed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Because the distribution model of the drug was changed to stop anyone else from doing the testing needed to get approved for a generic version.

Outpatients can no longer obtain Daraprim from their community pharmacy, but only through a single dispensing pharmacy. Walgreens Specialty Pharmacy, and institutions can no longer order from their general wholesaler, but have to set up an account with the Daraprim Direct program. Presentations from Retrophin, a company formerly headed by Martin Shkreli, CEO of Turing, from which Turing acquired the rights to Daraprim, suggest that a closed distribution system could prevent generic competitors from legally obtaining the drugs for the bioequivalence studies required for FDA approval of a generic drug.
    Thank you. This shows why we should get rid of the patent system and let people innovate.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Americans have to pay for their own healthcare. This doucheclown bought an HIV medication and changed the cost of one pill from $13 to $700 each, meaning almost no one could afford the medication. He will rot in hell.
    God forbid people make good business.

I hope you do realise every great businessman would do what this guy did, in the same position.

The Rich have always become rich on the backs of the poor. That's how the world works. If everyone's rich no one is.

Do doctors not ask for thousands of dollars that not everyone can afford to save lives?

Quote Originally Posted by Fazzel View Post
    Thats a really onesided statement.
    - He increased to price of an old pill with many sideeffects to support research on better pills with less sideeffects
    - Every person who relied on the pill was taken care of. Only insurences had to pay more.
    Man, how gullible are you? I bet if you read Mein Kampf you'll start telling us how Hitler was a great guy too!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post

I hope you do realise every great businessman would do what this guy did, in the same position.

The Rich have always become rich on the backs of the poor. That's how the world works. If everyone's rich no one is.
    Says someone with no actual experience in the business world. Corporate ethics are a real thing, and enforced where necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    A drug does not remain on the WHO list if it does not meet the guidelines, one of which is being the most effective. The listed is updated every 2 years. Just because a drug is only used in fringe cases, does not make said drug worth $75,000 per month, which is what treatment at the new price was costing. The cost was miniscule to produce. All the other stuff you are rambling about are nothing more than excuses for greed.
    Good on you for knowing what Whodrug is!
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

He's not the one you should be targetting your hatred towards, it might be greedy and despicable but he is in no shape or form some superevil like people make him out to be, he used the market and system to his own good, plenty of people would have done the same.

Blame the system, not the player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post
    He's not the one you should be targetting your hatred towards, it might be greedy and despicable but he is in no shape or form some superevil like people make him out to be, he used the market and system to his own good, plenty of people would have done the same.

Blame both

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Man, how gullible are you? I bet if you read Mein Kampf you'll start telling us how Hitler was a great guy too!

- - - Updated - - -

Says someone with no actual experience in the business world. Corporate ethics are a real thing, and enforced where necessary.
    Am I somehow wrong?

" Maximum results with minimum investment '' applies in a lot of fields. This guy did just that.

Corporate ethics are a real thing
    If 'Murica cares so much about its people as to villify this guy why don't they pay for it? If they can spend trillions on invading the Middle East you'd think they can spend some money to cure their ailing.

Let's be honest, it's easy to blame the guy but when you're called to do the right thing that you suggest he should've done, you shut up real quick.

It's just like with abortions, the bible heads will say it should be illegal but when the mother can't afford to raise the kid and needs money they all disappear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last I checked he is dealing with a securities fraud case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка

Do doctors not ask for thousands of dollars that not everyone can afford to save lives?
    So you're saying all great business man are scum bags? I agree.

Disgusting snake man I tell you

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post

All of whom deserve the worst.

These are other drugs on the same list with the same function:

Sulfadiazine
    Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim
    Pentamidine

- - - Updated - - -

No, it is considered the standard due to its' effectiveness.

Again, it was standard because it was cheap AF. There were alternatives, and still are.

If 'Murica cares so much about its people as to villify this guy why don't they pay for it? If they can spend trillions on invading the Middle East you'd think they can spend some money to cure their ailing.
    You realize that the American government, rich private investors and "normal" earning Americans are all different things, right? Because it looks as if you confuse these.

Let's be honest, it's easy to blame the guy but when you're called to do the right thing that you suggest he should've done, you shut up real quick.
    This makes just as much sense as your above statement. What is the thing the people hurt by guys like Shkreli should be doing? Not those with millions of dollars in their pocket but normal people who need the medication. Stop being poor, buy pharmaceutical companies and invent their own medicines?

I would like to know what @Orlong thinks about this.

I mean, surely it's just healthy capitalism, free market, true American patriot yada yada yada.

This is old news. Trump is currently the most hated american.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Are you aware that Shkrelli also repeatedly defrauded his own investors ?

But I suppose that lying to your investors is also considered ''legal'' by the usual suspects-after all, if you ruin an investor, they become poor and are thus worthless. Money=being right, even if you lie about having the money in the first place.

Deleted
    Their healthcare system encourages this behavior, why wouldn't he do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Forget Trump, Hitler or Jeffrey Dahmer.
    That's a pretty weird scale you've got there. Trump isn't great but comparing him to Hitler? And how does Jeffrey Dahmer even make an appearance on a most hated list? Pretty sure 99.9% of the people who were aware of his crimes when he was alive didn't hate him, much less the fact that he's been dead for 20 years or so and hasn't had any sort of significance in that time.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote Originally Posted by Galathir View Post
    You realize that the American government, rich private investors and "normal" earning Americans are all different things, right? Because it looks as if you confuse these.

This makes just as much sense as your above statement. What is the thing the people hurt by guys like Shkreli should be doing? Not those with millions of dollars in their pocket but normal people who need the medication. Stop being poor, buy pharmaceutical companies and invent their own medicines?
    I am not talking about them, I am talking about the people who whine on the Internet about what Martin did. They fight this Crusade against him but would they be willing to pay for the sick if they are so addicted to justice?

There's millions of people that complained about him, a simple 5$ from each would cover the costs of the medicine for the ailing. But they wouldn't donate, they just want to complain.