Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    A shame most people don't even understand what it is
    At least in the US it is Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

of course there is plenty of case law much later.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    Certainly, that example doesn't qualify as suppressing objectionable content upon review.
    It's completely shortsighted. In fact, it's false, as per the wikipedia article. But I prefer shortsighted, because it often stems from ignorance of consequences.
    And you're not even reading my responses. Me ejecting you from my platform can be censorship, but it might not be.
    So it must only be objectionable content?

Also no, your response is moot. I say this because I never had a right to your platform, your property in the first place. How can you censor me if I never even had a right to use your property?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Then you're arguing that the "civilized thing" is to assault freedom of speech you disagree with.

Don't you folks usually take issues with hate speech legislation? Since hate speech is directly harmful in ways that the websites you're complaining about are not.

Yeah, that's abject nonsense. Those girls were suspended over their actions. All the Internet outrage did was get their actions noticed.

Did their parents get fired? I'm guessing by how you said "tried", they didn't.

So no. I don't see how they're a "hazard". I see you complaining about people being free to say things you personally disagree with.

Oh, bollocks. Suspensions almost never involve "a conversation", other than perhaps a short discussion between teachers and the administration of the school.
    You don't have to ask the girls to explain; it's obvious from the image.
    It doesn't matter if it was "just a joke"; it's still worth a suspension.

And they didn't "miss the whole year". It was a 5-day suspension. Don't exaggerate ridiculously.

And again, they were suspended for their actions. Not because a bunch of people complained. That's not how anything works.

Endus listen mate you can pretend you don't understand the problem so let me simplify it then.

In a normal society people talk to each other and the best ideas come on top.

How ever lately there are some ideological driven people who refuse to talk to any one. They impose their ideology upon others. And when some one refuses to follow their ideology or challenges it, they join in groups and get people fired in order to make an example of what happens to people who challenge them.

An example of such ideology here in europe can be massive uncontrolled imigration. If you talk against it then its hate speech and you will have no border activists who will try to get you fired.
    How ever at no time where people polled or asked if we're ok with it it was just dictated down upon us by the rulling elites.

Now if people like you are saying that getting other fried is free speech. Then i will have to find like minded individuals (and believe me it wont be hard considering my youtube channel is getting 70k subs now) and have a dialogue with these no border activists by doxing and trying to get them fired in return.
    and also have a dialogue with companies that have rules against these things by calling them out and offer social pressure upon them. Because while they are free companies and can do whatever they want, so too as individuals can have the power to do whatever we want and publicly shame those companies and make memes out of their brands.

And i honestly don't see how you can complain since you've just said that this type of activism is now considered free speech and is nothing wrong with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    So it must only be objectionable content?

Also no, your response is moot. I say this because I never had a right to your platform, your property in the first place. How can you censor me if I never even had a right to use your property?
    I must find it objectionable. If it is or it isn't is subjective.
    Censorship has nothing to do with rights. And neither does the Churchill quote that you're failing to abide by.

10+ Year Old Account
    I must find it objectionable. If it is or it isn't is subjective.
    Censorship has nothing to do with rights. And neither does the Churchill quote that you're failing to abide by.
    Uuuuhhhhhhhh...... are you aware of what free speech is considered? Or was this just an elaborate joke.

Deleted
    Uuuuhhhhhhhh...... are you aware of what free speech is considered? Or was this just an elaborate joke.
    Are you aware that governments, private organizations and individuals may engage in censorship. ?

10+ Year Old Account
    If speech is not A right according to you, then it's irrelevant

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by veehro View Post
    Endus listen mate you can pretend you don't understand the problem so let me simplify it then.

In a normal society people talk to each other and the best ideas come on top.

How ever lately there are some ideological driven people who refuse to talk to any one. They impose their ideology upon others. And when some one refuses to follow their ideology or challenges it, they join in groups and get people fired in order to make an example of what happens to people who challenge them.
    I get that you want this to be true, but it isn't. There's no mechanism for the public to "get people fired". The employer in question is firing that employee for their own reasons, not because some crowd of people somehow forced their hand.

You're just flat-out ignoring that the outcry you're complaining about is just speech, and the employers are perfectly capable of making their own decisions, including ignoring them.

An example of such ideology here in europe can be massive uncontrolled imigration. If you talk against it then its hate speech and you will have no border activists who will try to get you fired.
    And? Explain how your views aren't racist.

That's what free exchange looks like. Not you trying to silence those you disagree with.

How ever at no time where people polled or asked if we're ok with it it was just dictated down upon us by the rulling elites.
    Oh, bollocks. European nations are pretty much all democratically elected governments. You get your say when you vote.

Now if people like you are saying that getting other fried is free speech. Then i will have to find like minded individuals (and believe me it wont be hard considering my youtube channel is getting 70k subs now) and have a dialogue with these no border activists by doxing and trying to get them fired in return.
    and also have a dialogue with companies that have rules against these things by calling them out and offer social pressure upon them. Because while they are free companies and can do whatever they want, so too as individuals can have the power to do whatever we want and publicly shame those companies and make memes out of their brands.

And i honestly don't see how you can complain since you've just said that this type of activism is now considered free speech and is nothing wrong with it.
    You realize that's not a new threat, right? Folks like yourself have been doing this stuff for decades, if not centuries. Look at the outcry against the Dixie Chicks, when they dared speak out against George Bush. That outcry already exists, and you don't see me calling for it to be silenced.

Deleted
    If speech is not A right according to you, then it's irrelevant
    You're the one railing against the reasonable idea that censorship is not exclusive to states and legislation.
    Something no reasonable person would argue. Something that I offered here as something that often causes an outrage. Something that you predictably mounted an outrage about.
    Free speech is a right as it concerns the US legislation. That, in no way denies that censorship is not only performed by states.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by veehro View Post
    Democracy, son. You people voted your representatives. Get used to it, for it's a wonderful thing.
    Last edited by mmoc003aca7d8e; 2017-06-28 at 07:41 PM.

No one with a functioning brain thinks you should be able to say anything you want publicly without fear of repercussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're the one railing against the reasonable idea that censorship is not exclusive to states and legislation.
    Something no reasonable person would argue. Something that I offered here as something that often causes an outrage. Something that you predictably mounted an outrage about.
    Free speech is a right as it concerns the US legislation. That, in no way denies that censorship is not only performed by states.

- - - Updated - - -

Democracy, son. You people voted your representatives. Get used to it, for it's a wonderful thing.
    no we used the term reasonable in describing my dad sending me to my room. Hate to say I would have no constitutional grounds agasint him.

Deleted
    no we used the term reasonable in describing my dad sending me to my room. Hate to say I would have no constitutional grounds agasint him.
    You would not. Because him censoring your attitude is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, but more importantly, completely within the law.

10+ Year Old Account
    You would not. Because him censoring your attitude is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, but more importantly, completely within the law.
    So via the government?

Deleted
    So via the government?
    I don't understand.

Freedom of Speech you have the Right to Say what you want, however, you are not immune of the Consequences of what you Speak. Hence why police say "You have the right to remain Silent, Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law".

- - - Updated - - -

I don't understand.
    What GennGreymane is saying the same comment you made could be used in regards to the state as well (at least that is what i think he is saying)
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hablion View Post
    What GennGreymane is saying the same comment you made could be used in regards to the state as well (at least that is what i think he is saying)
    I still don't understand. But generally yes. Many things can be said about other things.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think they're actually convinced.
    Or at least sees it as a consistent retort to complains of censorship. Which is what's actually at stake: the legitimacy of the heckler's veto.

Though, to be frank, I find the exchange entirely dysfunctional on either end.
    On the one side you have people pretending provocateurs like Milo to be upstanding defenders of free speech. They fail to strong man their argument.
    On the other, you have shrieking snowflakes that never bothered to understand what power is. That will bite them in the ass long term.
    Speech has always involved consequences, but in the past these consequences were primarily local and involved direct social relationships. As I alluded earlier, the issue is now that the heckler can just be anyone from anywhere who can wield disproportionate levels of power and may personally have zero connection the events or discussion.

Plus I'd seriously doubt the point of people being allowed to hold a political or any opinion but never being allowed to practically articulate it. That is akin to saying I can use my native language all I want, I'm just never allowed to speak it around anyone because I might be assaulted if word of it gets out.

- - - Updated - - -

Freedom of Speech you have the Right to Say what you want, however, you are not immune of the Consequences of what you Speak. Hence why police say "You have the right to remain Silent, Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law".
    Who governs what is a proportional response?

Lets play this game, lets say someone holds a view you don't like. Can you try and break up that persons marriage? Can you dox and hack their personal information and create fake blogs about them that is claiming they are a sexual predator? What is the line or limit of the Hecklers Veto anyway? I know some here feel its whatever can be gotten away with in their Might Makes Right worldview, but I don't see that as ethical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Freedom of Speech you have the Right to Say what you want, however, you are not immune of the Consequences of what you Speak.
    What the hell is this supposed to mean?

In the context of the 1st Amendment, it literally means there should be no consequences from any entity covered by the 1st Amendment.

The goto for stopping people from exercising their rights these days is the threat of their employer being harassed into firing them over shit that shouldn't even qualify as controversial. This is that "consequences" bullshit and it shits all over the spirit of the 1A.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Speech has always involved consequences, but in the past these consequences were primarily local and involved direct social relationships. As I alluded earlier, the issue is now that the heckler can just be anyone from anywhere who can wield disproportionate levels of power and may personally have zero connection the events or discussion.

Plus I'd seriously doubt the point of people being allowed to hold a political or any opinion but never being allowed to practically articulate it. That is akin to saying I can use my native language all I want, I'm just never allowed to speak it around anyone because I might be assaulted if word of it gets out.

- - - Updated - - -

Who governs what is a proportional response?

Lets play this game, lets say someone holds a view you don't like. Can you try and break up that persons marriage? Can you dox and hack their personal information and create fake blogs about them that is claiming they are a sexual predator? What is the line or limit of the Hecklers Veto anyway? I know some here feel its whatever can be gotten away with in their Might Makes Right worldview, but I don't see that as ethical.
    Someone Can but they will likely end up in legal issues since there would be consequences for doing such things which could vary from Slander to harassment which in return would lead to fines, Lawsuits and or Jail time.
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Someone Can but they will likely end up in legal issues since there would be consequences for doing such things which could vary from Slander to harassment which in return would lead to fines, Lawsuits and or Jail time.
    All of which takes time, the effects of their actions however have still happened. The question is, what is a proportional hecklers veto or is there one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyxi View Post
    What the hell is this supposed to mean?

In the context of the 1st Amendment, it literally means there should be no consequences from any entity covered by the 1st Amendment.

The goto for stopping people from exercising their rights these days is the threat of their employer being harassed into firing them over shit that shouldn't even qualify as controversial. This is that "consequences" bullshit and it shits all over the spirit of the 1A.
    What it means when the police say that is you have the RIGHT to remain silent so you do not unknowingly incriminate yourself since everything you say can/will be used against you if you go to court for whatever it was reason it was you were arrested. For Example if you were on trial for murder and told the cop on site that you murdered those people in cold blood then that can and would be used against you since you willingly gave that information.