Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I recently got a 24 hour in-game suspension for "Unethical Behavior" (as the email that I received from Blizzard put it)

Heres the situation:

I was in Stormwind advertising my Engineering services in trade. I was just linking my Engineering profession with the trade advertisement: "WTS [Engineering] PST if interested!"

I spammed that a few times in trade and I had a guy whisper me, "where are you?"

I said "Stormwind AH Steps"

A few minutes later WITHOUT HIM SAYING ANYTHING TO ME, he opened trade with me, put the mats in the trade window for the Sky Golem mount, with 20k, and traded it to me.

I accepted the trade, but he said NOTHING to me other than what I originally received from him "where are you?".

I logged off and started playing another character.

Basically I was temporarily banned because some idiot decided to trade me the mats to the sky golem mount + 20k assuming I had the mats to make the sky golem (i didn't have the other parts for it that you need to buy from a vendor). Because of his stupidity, I decided to keep his mats and gold. It was rude of him to just throw stuff into the trade window without even negotiating or finding out if i had the other mats to make the mount.

Long story short, I got banned for someone else's stupidity.

Has anyone else received a temporary suspension when clearly you were not in the wrong?

Takes a nerve to complain after being punished for essentially exploiting somebody's naivety / poor language or social skill and stealing a substantial amount of resources from them.

TLDR; you are a dick and got a slap on the wrist for it. You are supposed to be ashamed not go bragging about it like the asshole you are.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    then again, if someone throws their wallet at you it isnt exactly illegal to keep it is it?
    It is id there were a specific set of rules in place for it... as blizzard has for this.

Normally people negotiate or say something before putting mats and gold into a trade window. Wouldn't you have first negotiated rather than essentially demanding I make the mount with the dude's measly 20k

Fuck that. You first negotiate with me a deal then we make a deal, you (the player) don't get to dictate a one sided deal and just expect me to accept it. So thats why I feel what I did was justified and the ban unnecessary.
    By taking it you accepted their terms. You didn't have to take the mats from them, you did. Own up to your own actions.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avar ize View Post
    I dont get why people saying it was a deserved ban? he did not say anything, so he just gave Jay his shit.. So what exactly is the problem?
    Sure it might be a douche move, but only a fucking idiot just gives his cash and mats to somebody without even saying what he fucking wants
    But our nice Jay accepted the trade... he could easily decline it but he didn't = stealing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudoJ View Post
    Takes a nerve to complain after being punished for essentially exploiting somebody's naivety / poor language or social skill and stealing a substantial amount of resources from them.

TLDR; you are a dick and got a slap on the wrist for it. You are supposed to be ashamed not go bragging about it like the asshole you are.
    I'm not bragging about anything, I simply relayed the situation.

If you mail me 2k and a box of new computer parts with no instructions, no return address, nothing to indicate what you want from me, you bet im going to keep it and build myself a new computer.

Thanks for the cash and mats to build it.

My very session of "let's actually come back" yesterday involved getting into an LFR run, having my AOEs not register for underwater enemies that were attacking us, saying something about it in a fairly clinical way and getting repeatedly whispered about how "no one cares about you and you're a terrible person."

Yeah, I didn't even know there was a report option for that kind of thing so I just let it go.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    It is id there were a specific set of rules in place for it... as blizzard has for this.
    so i can get people banned by randomly trading them 20k gold?
    that's a nice set of rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismembered View Post
    But our nice Jay accepted the trade... he could easily decline it but he didn't = stealing.
    that's not how it works

you cant just run around the street throwing money at people then shout "thief" when they dont give it back

i dont condone what OP did, im usually nice enough to give stuff back if people are idiots, but it's my right to choose

if you're stupid you're gonna lose out on something, that's how capitalism works
    ive had my fair share of losing money/gold due to my stupidity and noone was nice enough to arrest/ban the people and refund me, because that'd be stupid
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2017-06-28 at 11:30 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    This is really the most important take away from the OP.

Has anyone else received a temporary suspension when clearly you were not in the wrong?
    Are you trolling with this nonsense?? You are clearly in the wrong. You just stole this person's materials and 20k gold. A sane GM would rip that from you and send it back to the other player, then ban you; you're hella lucky it was only for 24 hours. Don't steal from other players.

He was clearly advertising a service, he said that himself. There was NOTHING random about it. The mats traded to him were CLEARLY for the service he was offering. Dont be simple.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm not bragging about anything, I simply relayed the situation.

If you mail me 2k and a box of new computer parts with no instructions, no return address, nothing to indicate what you want from me, you bet im going to keep it and build myself a new computer.

Thanks for the cash and mats to build it.
    Wait what?

A few minutes later WITHOUT HIM SAYING ANYTHING TO ME, he opened trade with me, put the mats in the trade window for the Sky Golem mount, with 20k, and traded it to me.

I accepted the trade, but he said NOTHING to me other than what I originally received from him "where are you?".

He opened a trade and didn't send it via mail.

trade me the mats to the sky golem mount + 20k assuming I had the mats to make the sky golem (i didn't have the other parts for it that you need to buy from a vendor)
    mats are 30 living steel and 30 jard's peculiar energy sources.

one is from alchemy, the other is a daily engineering cooldown, there are no "vendor mats" as an engineer would know, but instead you come up with a story that just doesn't match.

seems like another tall tale from jaylock.

Deleted
    You scammed someone and got instantly punished?

Nice! Did not expect them to react that fast. Good job on Blizzard's side.

How about just not being a dick or, if you think that is okay, how about not trying to justify it.

10+ Year Old Account
    He was clearly advertising a service, he said that himself. There was NOTHING random about it. The mats traded to him were CLEARLY for the service he was offering. Dont be simple.
    When the only response is "where are you?" and then mats and gold appear in the trade window with 0 other communication, yeah actually its that simple.

Blizzard's response was clearly a slap on the wrist, especially since when I logged back on after the 24 hour suspension, the gold and mats for the sky golem were still in my bags.

So Blizzard must have not thought it stealing, otherwise they would have returned the mats and gold to the other player.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    mats are 30 living steel and 30 jard's peculiar energy sources.

one is from alchemy, the other is a daily engineering cooldown, there are no "vendor mats" as an engineer would know, but instead you come up with a story that just doesn't match.

seems like another tall tale from jaylock.
    got me! yep all just a big story!

or maybe i just havent created the golem in years and I was refering to the fact that you need to buy vendor mats for other engineering professions like *GASP* the motorcycle. My bad, yeah the energy sources that you have to have had daily cooldowns to even have. Just another thing the guy didn't check on before trading me the mats.

But hey, if I had started doing the daily cooldown to get the 30 mats, and created the golem then mailed it to him a month later, would I have been ethical?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Avar ize View Post
    I dont get why people saying it was a deserved ban? he did not say anything, so he just gave Jay his shit.. So what exactly is the problem?
    Sure it might be a douche move, but only a fucking idiot just gives his cash and mats to somebody without even saying what he fucking wants
    Annd ??? you can decline the trade
    Ban is deserved

im sorry but no, advertising or not, if someone just shows up and trades you a bunch of money without saying a word you're not obliged to decipher what he wants.

if i go into an IT store throw a bunch of computer parts on the counter and a wad of cash and then just keep looking at the guy then ill be happy if he just gives it back and doesnt throw me out of the store

if anything the guy was unethical for treating OP like a friggin slave and not even saying "please" or "hi i need this and this"

Annd ??? you can decline the trade
    Ban is deserved
    you shouldnt be obliged to not take advantage of stupid people
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2017-06-28 at 11:42 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    if i go into an IT store throw a bunch of computer parts on the counter and a wad of cash and then just keep looking at the guy then ill be happy if he just gives it back and doesnt throw me out of the store
    Best comparison ever.... not. Must be a nice IT store you know where the seller is doing this stuff or a 3rd world country.

I recently got a 24 hour in-game suspension for "Unethical Behavior" (as the email that I received from Blizzard put it)

I accepted the trade...

You were 100% in the wrong. You literally took advantage of him. At the very least, you should have asked what he wanted. Y'know, what any decent service provided should ask a new customer?

Well-deserved. Should have been longer/permanent.

Also should have had the mats taken from you.