View Poll Results: A vending machine gives you extra, what do you do?

Voters
308. This poll is closed
  • Keep it

276 89.61%
  • Somehow return it

4 1.30%
  • Give it to someone as a gift

28 9.09%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Smash the window so I can put it back where it belongs.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Kind of funny story. I was on a road trip driving back to Buffalo NY from NYC. We stopped at a rest area to pee and get some drinks. Now, this vending machine was a standard drop down the front kind with plastic bottles. We put in $1.25 and pick A1 to get a Snapple. The Snapple drops down then a second later we hear CLINK CLINK CLINK CLINK CLINK. Weird, it gave us the money back. So we put it back in and tried to select A1 again, but it said SOLD OUT, even though there was one still in A1. So we hit A2 and it drops out, then CLINK CLINK CLINK. Refunds again.

So we think we figured out what happened. This vending machine has a laser or some kind of vision system at the bottom so it knows that it dispenses an item. If it doesn't dispense an item, it just automatically gives a refund. Well this vision system must have been broken and not detecting the falling objects. This explains why it was returning money and then marking the slot A1 as empty (because it tried to dispense, didn't see anything dispense, so it must be out).

So... we ended up plugging the same $1.25 back in the machine and getting like 8 free drinks out of it.

I'd give it to a relative or the SO. Other then that I'd probally keep it >.>

Depends on what it is, usually just keep it, sometimes gift it if I know a cutie pie likes what I got extra of.

---------- Post added 2013-05-03 at 03:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    Kind of funny story. I was on a road trip driving back to Buffalo NY from NYC.
    With the fall of the Buffalo Bandits, I can't imagine going back home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vending machines already sell items for 2x (or more) of what the price is for them to purchase the goods. Boo hoo if they lose a few bucks because they stocked a machine in a stupid way or put a product in that isn't the optimal shape to dispense one at a time. Just think of all the times someone has had their item get stuck after paying for it.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by itachizaku View Post
    with the fall of the buffalo bandits, i can't imagine going back home.

whooo's hooouse!?

Deleted
    I'd immediatly pick up my phone, call the king of Sweden and ask him if I can keep it, or if he thinks i should put it back.

10+ Year Old Account
    The better question is, when a vending machine steals your money without providing you a delicious snack, what do you do?

I always try shaking the vending machine in vain while throwing out a few unlady-like cusses. Sometimes I punch it, too. My coworkers tell me it's hilarious because the vending is 3 times my size.

Keep it, how would you return it? Hang around the vending machine waiting for it to get restocked?

10+ Year Old Account
    If I ordered skittles and I got 2, chances are I'd give one to some random person... it happened the other day. I got done with my inclass paper and went over to get a butterfingers... It popped 2 out and this other person looked at me and gave me the thumbs up as approval... I don't need both so I gave one to him, which he was thankful for. The reason why I don't keep all of the extra is because candy is candy... I'm not fat... I'm muscular and I pride myself on being fit, so there's a little thing I like to call moderation and without moderation, you get fat. If I were to down all the excess candy that came before me... I would be fat too or atleast chubby and not 8% bodyfat. Besides, in this situation, I not only make myself happy, but someone else which is a better feeling than knowing you're consuming more sugar/carbs than you really need.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    99% the guy before you lost the money, not the vending machine company, in this case i'd give one of the snacks to him if it's still around

the last 1% is statistically tested and carefully considered while pricing the stuff, and this is the best scenario because you have a free snack and the company doesn't lose money on the long-term

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Keep it, how would you return it? Hang around the vending machine waiting for it to get restocked?
    Thats what I would do, rationing my paid for snack for sustainance, I would call the snack to be returned Wilson, and I would keep him safe, but eventually lose sight of him while asleep. (I suspect a hobo steals it).

After my ordeal I will return home to a heroes welcome of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should probably stuff it back in the machine. I'm pretty sure the machine wouldn't like you stealing it's candy bars.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    The Vending machine at my College occasionally gave me 2 bags of sun chips. I never ate the second one due to unwanted calories so I'd feed it to the crows outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    The Vending machine at my College occasionally gave me 2 bags of sun chips. I never ate the second one due to unwanted calories so I'd feed it to the crows outside.
    It's sounds weird to me that you are having 2 chips bags from Vending Machines and not eating one of them.If i will be at your place i love to eat both.
    Last edited by stephensmith; 2017-09-06 at 08:03 AM.

Since vending machines charge like 5 times what the item costs, I keep any extra change or items. That's a lucky day in my opinion.

I am having trouble trying to imagine anything I would buy from such a machine. I don't recall any such transaction for at least several years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep it. Why? Because I paid for it beforehand when my money was swallowed for nothing back when CC vending machines were not a thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stephensmith View Post
    It's sounds weird to me that you are having 2 chips bags from Vending Machine and not eating one of them.If i will be at your place i love to eat both.
    Ill never understand why someone would make a new account to just necro a 4year old thread...

I probably should give it back but I admit like when I get two candy bars instead of the one I paid for, it's like "jackpot!".

And there are more times when I've put money in a machine and not received anything because of a malfunction so maybe we're even?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland