Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    I'm just going to quote a post I wrote on the subject a bit ago, since I don't feel like paraphrasing myself:
    Agree with everything here story wise but not the threat creep. Eventually we were going to be taking on these big bads, with or without the help of powerful NPC's/artifacts, eventually we would grow to this point. But yes, the development is wasted on the player and it's hurting lore majorly.

It's now an opinion to acknowledge that the PC can't have story arcs that impact canon as a whole, and that the PCs rank pushes canonical characters out of said rank?

How is that an opinion?
    How has that happened though? The mail lore characters are still there, stories being written about their trials and progress and failings.

We being part of events concerning gameplay =/= main lore characters being put aside to promote our characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    How has that happened though? The mail lore characters are still there, stories being written about their trials and progress and failings.

We being part of events concerning gameplay =/= main lore characters being put aside to promote our characters.
    Take the DK order hall campaign. Who is the Lich King interacting with? Darion Mograine, or the PC? Are you actually trying to now contest that canon characters playing second fiddle to the PC doesn't take spotlight and development from them?

Quote Originally Posted by Potentio View Post
    The reason of Legion´s praise in summary. The contrast with WoD is immense, especially because the last tier lasted 14 months once again. But 10 months into WoD it still had 8 million subs because Tanaan Jungle had just come out. The real test of Legion begins NOW. Also, WoD did not have an aberration like Broken Shore among its content. Broken Shore was just a huge testament to how much the design team is manipulating with the playerbase. From promises of amazing story content that was eventually just time-gated busywork that sent us to do things we were already doing to the hype of it as "THE BIGGEST CONTENT PATCH EVER IN WORLD OF WARCRAFT", I am amazed how people seem to have forgotten about it. Certainly acquired truisms like "it is a company" and "it is a commercial world we live in" help them get away with this bollocks time and time again. The playerbase is content with the behaviour of the design team because it has grown accustomed to them being abused by even higher powers than mere gaming companies; and that is why they keep milking you, time-gating you, baiting you and keeping you hyped-up.

The Race to the Bottom of the Brain Stem was what it was called I think?
    Um, no.

WoD plummeted to below 5 million pretty sharply.

And Legion's praise is well-founded and stands upon the merits of this expansion.

You have a lot of negative ramblings, but you're coming with very few original thoughts standing on a solid foundation I must say. You're even angry that Blizzard puts out content and people are enjoying it and thus keeping on paying for it.

Deleted
    Those "objectively bad aspects" seem to be entirely hinging upon your opinions though, so... No, I'd disagree.

They've managed greatly so far with Legion's story, and I'll put more faith in them knowing where to take the story than some random on a forum with an opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

No, people specifically place Legion just below or on the same level as TBC and WOTLK... having played them. They compare from a point of experience.

You trying to deny that people voting have experience because the results don't match your opinion aside. I experienced WOTLK, and Legion is better in every way ranging from story delivery to gameplay in my book.
    No this is not why I disagree with you. It is just that: we cannot bring random polls up as evidence! We cannot bring anything as evidence. We cannot even bring up as evidence the assumed number of active subscribers (which would contribute to my viewpoint) because it is not of any value! That includes GameSpot scores (lol). And you do not know whether they played TBC and/or WotLK or not... you might be surprised how many people vote for the option that makes them feel better about themselves.

Take the DK order hall campaign. Who is the Lich King interacting with? Darion Mograine, or the PC? Are you actually trying to now contest that canon characters playing second fiddle to the PC doesn't take spotlight and development from them?
    Yes, and? Our DK Order Hall campaign is gameplay. Darion Mograine still plays a major part, along with Tirion in his death.

When push comes to shove, when books are written, it won't be our characters figuring there. People remember Varian Wrynn's sacrifice, we the players had no part in what unfolded on the Broken Shore within the cinematics. Were we there in story? Sure, but we weren't playing the main fiddle other than during gameplay.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-06-29 at 10:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    What are you talking about? We got promoted to the highest rank after unlocking the hero class hall. As a druid im prasied as archdruid, im acknowlwdged at the same level as Malfurion, Broll, or Hamuul Runetotem
    When's the last time Broll Bearmantle killed two Old Gods and a few dozen Legion commanders? The game plot accepts that most players have, in some fashion, done most of the PvE storylines, and since WotLK we've been increasingly-relevant because of those ingame accomplishments. Can't stay a rando nobody when you're out there killing gods.

edit: Keep in mind that the last time Blizzard gave away player accomplishments to an existing lore figure by handing Varian the canon kill on Onyxia, it went over like an eggy shart.
    Last edited by Thage; 2017-06-29 at 10:44 PM.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Potentio View Post
    No this is not why I disagree with you. It is just that: we cannot bring random polls up as evidence! We cannot bring anything as evidence. We cannot even bring up as evidence the assumed number of active subscribers (which would contribute to my viewpoint) because it is not of any value! That includes GameSpot scores (lol). And you do not know whether they played TBC and/or WotLK or not... you might be surprised how many people vote for the option that makes them feel better about themselves.
    Again, lots of rambling but not a lot of substance. The "people just vote for whatever to feel better about themselves"-line is new though. Never seen that before when people try to deny an expansion being popular.

You think the game is bad for various reasons? Good for you. Millions of players evidently would disagree.
    On one hand it's bad with "instant gratification", on the other it's "busywork" and "milking" for the game to require more time spent.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-06-29 at 10:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, and? Our DK Order Hall campaign is gameplay. Darion Mograine still plays a major part, along with Tirion in his death.

When push comes to shove, when books are written, it won't be our characters figuring there.
    Again, who is being developed as the Deathlord of the Ebon Blade? Which Ebon Blade member interacts the most with the Lich King?

The PC.

Darion does play a part, but a lesser one in comparison to the PC. You can't use that development. Developing your character doesn't advance the story. Spending finite story development on a canonical character is objectively better because the story can actually advance in a coherent way that all players can experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, at the end of Wrath we should of just retired to a small home in the hills. Then the next expansions would be based on fighting drought, and trying to find the right plants to grow in our soil. We could watch the rest of the story unfold from our hill, and pine for the good ol' days.

World of Megalomania describes these forums perfectly.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Redroniksre View Post
    I agree, at the end of Wrath we should of just retired to a small home in the hills. Then the next expansions would be based on fighting drought, and trying to find the right plants to grow in our soil. We could watch the rest of the story unfold from our hill, and pine for the good ol' days.
    Lmao, sounds amazing.

Deleted
    Um, no.

WoD plummeted to below 5 million pretty sharply.

And Legion's praise is well-founded and stands upon the merits of this expansion.

You have a lot of negative ramblings, but you're coming with very few original thoughts standing on a solid foundation I must say. You're even angry that Blizzard puts out content and people are enjoying it and thus keeping on paying for it.
    Such a thing does not exist in the current world. Keep on believing it does. You might even quote a gaming site review, the author of which is full aware of the contract his employer has with Activision Blizzard, but this is still not a solid foundation. In short: there is no solid foundation to objectively help assess the success of an expansion. That includes number of active subscribers in this case. In tennis for example, number of Grand Slams won is not an objective basis either. "SOLID FOUNDATION", "PROOF" and "FACT" are myths around which most of the citizens of this planet are manipulated.

Having said that, I am clearly aware you understood not one bit of the post you first quoted, nor what I just said, so I shall back away from this exchange of "arguments".

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty sure we killed gods since vanilla with artifacts like thunderfury

but ye the thing you do can be done literally any way "remember when we killed gods and elemental lords back in vanilla, all we do now is collect squirrels and kick nuts wtf blizz"
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't worry about it to be honest.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

All of you keep arguing the story cant work unless its the npcs being in the spotlight but I've thought FFXIV does a good job of telling a story where the PC is the actual hero. And for cannon they can always be refered to as the hero of x or something, dont need to go into super detail.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, people specifically place Legion just below or on the same level as TBC and WOTLK...
    Oh here are some of those polls you were ranting about earlier, by the way:

"Least Favorite Expansion" (Legion Gets Significantly More Votes Than Either WotLK or TBC)

"Favorite Expansion" (Legion Gets Somewhat Close to TBC; Completely Blown Out By WotLK & MoP)

There's a Jaylock thread praising Legion though, for what that's worth. That guy has his hand on the anti-pulse of the community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scrangos View Post
    All of you keep arguing the story cant work unless its the npcs being in the spotlight but I've thought FFXIV does a good job of telling a story where the PC is the actual hero. And for cannon they can always be refered to as the hero of x or something, dont need to go into super detail.
    Yes, the Hero of X gets developed in A, B, & C ways. Then that development is useless, because the Hero of X can't meaningfully interact with the story in any way, shape, or form.

Again, who is being developed as the Deathlord of the Ebon Blade? Which Ebon Blade member interacts the most with the Lich King?

The PC.

Darion does play a part, but a lesser one in comparison to the PC. You can't use that development. Developing your character doesn't advance the story. Spending finite story development on a canonical character is objectively better because the story can actually advance in a coherent way that all players can experience.
    In the campaign, which is gameplay.

You can keep throwing around your "objectively better" (in your opinion) buzzwords, but the matter of the fact is that when the story moves forward on levels that surpass gameplay, it's not our characters being the center of attention... it's the lore characters.

Deleted
    Again, lots of rambling but not a lot of substance. The "people just vote for whatever to feel better about themselves"-line is new though. Never seen that before when people try to deny an expansion being popular.

You think the game is bad for various reasons? Good for you. Millions of players evidently would disagree.
    On one hand it's bad with "instant gratification", on the other it's "busywork" and "milking" for the game to require more time spent.
    That line that seemed new for you has actually a "solid foundation" in sociology. Maybe you should educate yourself more? And from that you could also teach yourself to detect substance from ramblings. We are operating on a completely different wavelength, sadly.