Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    But YOU dont view everyone the same... No one does, we ALL have prejudices... yes, even YOU.
    We should give everyone a chance. Even though white cops have been involved heavily in the suspect killing of minorities, it still wouldn't be right to judge all cops based on this.

The same girl can appear innocent or skanky depending on what she's wearing and her attitude.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LonerStoner View Post
    wtf! how is that possible?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Women are? Where are you getting that info from exactly?

Uhh it matters. We should view everyone the same. We should not just cast steryotypes on people. Would you like if someone thought that white males were more likely to be pedos? I've seen articles saying as much you know.
    Males are more likely to be pedos than females. I haven't seen anything specifically about white males, but I don't think it's a particularly extraordinary claim. I would be more wary of men around my children than women. I think the vast, vast majority of people in our society believe the same, and statistics support them. That doesn't mean treating all men as if they were pedos. That just means being careful. Defensive precautions are not the same thing as offensive judgements.

To expand on this, I firmly believe that we should live in a society that accepts facts. One fact is that people are different. Therefore it makes sense to view them differently. If you are making baseless assumptions about people's character, and not about risks, then you're moving into racism/sexism territory. Risk judgements are however valid; it makes more sense to hold your wallet more tightly around a group of poorly dressed black youths than it does around a bunch of asian geriatic ladies, because there is a statistical risk differential there. People who fail to make risk judgements often become victims.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    We should give everyone a chance. Even though white cops have been involved heavily in the suspect killing of minorities, it still wouldn't be right to judge all cops based on this.
    how is giving someone a 'chance' relevant? these respondents shared their views... its not tragic, its not racist, its not mean. It's how they view things...

Herein exists one of your own prejudices... Do you have any idea how many officer-civilian interactions there are every year? the answer in the US was 62.9 million in the year 2011; there were just uder 12.2 million people arrested in 2012, and 410 uses of 'deadly force'. thats ALL uses, not the ones against minorities... but ALL of them... and I'll let you do the math, 410/12197000... 0.00003% of all arrests

'Heavily' my ass.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    how is giving someone a 'chance' relevant? these respondents shared their views... its not tragic, its not racist, its not mean. It's how they view things...

Herein exists one of your own prejudices... Do you have any idea how many officer-civilian interactions there are every year? the answer in the US was 62.9 million in the year 2011; there were just uder 12.2 million people arrested in 2012, and 410 uses of 'deadly force'. thats ALL uses, not the ones against minorities... but ALL of them... and I'll let you do the math, 410/12197000... 0.00003% of all arrests

'Heavily' my ass.
    Interesting fact that would bolster your argument: controlling for confounding variables (violent crime, population proportion, whether or not the individual was armed at the time of the arrest, and so forth), white people are roughly 20% more likely than black people to be shot and killed by police.

10+ Year Old Account
    Race threads aren't ok. This topic isn't nearly important enough to allow.

Closing