Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cebel View Post
    Hey bro, were having a liberal echo chamber here, k. Dont bring facts into this. FUCK TRUMP AHHHHHHH THE WORLD! ITS ENDING! FUCKIN REPUBS! ALL EVIL HORRIBLE RACIST FUCKERS!
    Lol, someone actually defending Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It really is. Trump had to drag this issue, kicking and screaming, through several courts, a rewrite, taking months past the deadline, until SCoTUS allowed part of the ban to continue, and then later in the fall hear the full-out case. This is not "Trump says so thusly it comes to be" by any stretch of the imagination.
    Lmao. Yea god forbid he bring his issue through the court system, you know. The legal way. Through the LEGAL system. Get a grip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    People have a lack of understanding in general.
    Fixed that for you -- Remember where you're at.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Lol, someone actually defending Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.
    It's not defending them. It's explaining why they arent necessarily needed to be on the list. Do I agree with it? No. But do I think the current ban plan is a step in the right direction? Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lmao. Yea god forbid he bring his issue through the court system, you know. The legal way. Through the LEGAL system. Get a grip.
    Somehow I think you are just being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not defending them. It's explaining why they arent necessarily needed to be on the list. Do I agree with it? No. But do I think the current ban plan is a step in the right direction? Absolutely.
    Considering the amount of leverage Saudi Arabia (oil) has as well as Pakistan (nukes pointed at india and ability to give them to terrorists if we stop giving them money). Yeah, the country that funded and the country that harbored Bin Laden.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    The countries that are the most involved in sending and funding terrorists to the USA shouldn't necessarily be on the list?

A step in the right direction? It's pretty naive if you think there'll ever be another step to include those countries.
    Then there is Egypt where things are quiet, but last time they were prevalent in the news things were pretty shady.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea god forbid he bring his issue through the court system, you know. The legal way. Through the LEGAL system
    Um...you do know we're talking about the Muslim Ban, right? The one he didn't try to bring through the legal system, but instead tried to say it and thusly make it so? The one that was dragged to the legal system by other people, where it was smacked down three times?

Nothing about what you wrote is defendable, sarcastic or otherwise.

The problem is that Trump himself has blown multiple holes in the possible defense of the constitutionally questionable aspects of his own EO. The SC allowed through the parts that are within his authority as president but want a formal hearing on the rest. Trump may still find himself fucked on those areas as he's outright on Twitter claimed it was a MUSLIM BAN, members of his cabinet and immediate outreach have said it's a Muslim ban, and the measure was supposed to be temporary pending adjustments to the immigration and vetting process which he hasn't even started to touch while also leaving the Department of State as an empty husk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Supreme Court overrules unconstitutional over reach of lower courts. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by iperson View Post
    Supreme Court overrules unconstitutional over reach of lower courts. Nice.
    Not really. They only allowed partial implementation until they hear the full case in the fall. You would know this if you read the links.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    lol

"When liberal judges rule in liberal ways it's bias. When conservative judges rule in conservative ways it's being right."
    This isn't a right/left issue.
    The constitution is very clear, Absent statutory rules, the executive can do pretty much whatever he wants in regards to immigration.

- - - Updated - - -

Remember when he was an autocrat who shat on the laws and the judiciary?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Not really. They only allowed partial implementation until they hear the full case in the fall. You would know this if you read the links.
    If they hear the case - The EO is a temporary measure, and will be over before the hearing, so they can declare it moot and vacate all rulings.
    And if they hear the case, they are most likely going to rule in the president's favor (hence them lifting the injunction).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    The constitution is very clear, Absent statutory rules, the executive can do pretty much whatever he wants in regards to immigration.
    Unless (as a crazy example) the POTUS said it would include a religion check so that Christians could still get in but not Muslims. Cause the Constitution has these pesky Amendments and stuff.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Unless (as a crazy example) the POTUS said it would include a religion check so that Christians could still get in but not Muslims. Cause the Constitution has these pesky Amendments and stuff.
    That doesn't have any bearing to be honest.

The President has the authority to exclude immigrants on any criteria. Immigrants do not have the rights and privileges of US citizens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post

The President has the authority to exclude immigrants on any criteria. Immigrants do not have the rights and privileges of US citizens.
    Really doesn't matter; the issue is the government favoring one religion over another which is a restriction of the government itself, not a right of the immigrants in question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Doesn't matter.
    The relevant legal point is a statute that forbids the executive to discriminate on religious grounds, not the first amendment.

Yes actually it does. And yes immigrants do. Otherwise the Supreme Court wouldn't have ruled it that way before.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Really doesn't matter; the issue is the government favoring one religion over another which is a restriction of the government itself, not a right of the immigrants in question.
    Whether or not Tweets are a valid metric is also a question for the court to decide on (and one where they were fairly clear that its not).

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Well we are going to find out what the SC says in the Fall, because it can go either way in terms of interpretation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    Doesn't matter.
    The relevant legal point is a statute that forbids the executive to discriminate on religious grounds, not the first amendment.
    We are going to find out soon enough if that holds up but I can see it going the other way.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes actually it does. And yes immigrants do. Otherwise the Supreme Court wouldn't have ruled it that way before.
    I don't see the SC going on precedent from previous SC rulings this time around IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well we are going to find out what the SC says in the Fall, because it can go either way in terms of interpretation.
    And I fully expect them to issue another Citizens United ruling in terms of its stupidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    What case law are you talking about?
    Because that's pretty firmly on the side of trump - The decision quotes liberally from it.

- - - Updated - - -

Not really - reversing the injunction means they think its more likely Trump will prevail (otherwise they wouldn't reverse the injunction).

We are going to find out soon enough if that holds up but I can see it going the other way.
    It may go one way or another, but the constitution is clear - Immigration policy is mostly outside of the remit of the courts.
    Whatever policy the executive sets is constitutional as far as they are concerned - Congress can make whatever laws they like, and they can only really step in to tell the executive to stick to whatever congress decided.
    But congress could tomorrow pass the 'no immigration from the arab world act' and they would have no remit to declare it unconstitutional.
    For hundreds of years, US immigration policy was explicitly racist - Congress could make it racist tomorrow if they wanted.