Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I am sorry about your heart problems and I hope the doctors can find a solution. Don't give up hope!

- - - Updated - - -

Throughout history have most people not suffered towards the very end of their life? How many took their own lives?
    History is there for us to learn from and progress not to emulate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Gonna need a source on that.
    Ok.

Point is. We all can have our own opinions. I'm not insulting anyone for theirs yet I am getting flamed.

Fact is, experts, doctors and public are on my side.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Ahh if the government makes a law about it then it's wrong.

Good to see you have zero internal morality. Goes well with zero integrity.
    Except often times people are basing their feelings against assisted suicide because they are following their own take on "internal morality". Good to know that you judge people as having no internal morality because they are against something you are not.

Ok.

Point is. We all can have our own opinions. I'm not insulting anyone for theirs yet I am getting flamed.

Waaaa people are disagreeing with me waaaaa.

This is what I meant when I said you have no integrity, you can't even answer a simple question without deflection and now you lean on the majority to justify what I thought was your own internal morality. Hint: You don't need a majority to justify you position. Double hint: Especially when the majority is made up from cherry picked facts.
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2017-06-30 at 03:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Passive aggressive BS ... as usual.

Right, the article that was cherry picked! Ignore the rest of it.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    Except often times people are basing their feelings against assisted suicide because they are following their own take on "internal morality". Good to know that you judge people as having no internal morality because they are against something you are not.
    Which for some reason gives them the authority to force their internal morality on others? If you don't believe in euthanasia, don't get euthanised. Don't act like you have the answer for everyone.

Ok.

Fact is, you're just making up "facts" as you go.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Deleted
    In most of the world it is illegal. You think almost everyone hates freedom?
    And it is likely a hot topic on most of the TV channels you cannot watch, cannot understand and cannot speak for.
    I live in a country where assisted suicide is illegal. According to independent polls, the majority supports legalizing assisted suicide in much the same way as California. It's the more ethical choice.
    A new "trend" amongst patients with heart and circulatory problems are armbands that pleads the paramedics not to defibrillate. Ethical death of terminally ill patients is a hot debate topic, even in a country where it's illegal.
    Of course big pharma wants them to live. Doctors can't offer them the alternative and lawmakers are too scared to discuss it because of the slippery slope argument, where are the limits, how many consultations etc. They discuss the details rather than getting drafts out there that people can see and assess for themselves.

If I got ill I would go to the hospital and do the best I can to fight it. I would take whatever treatment that was offered. If it eventually got so bad that I died from this illness then it how life works. You get ill towards the end of your life and you die. People don't live forever.
    And these people often have been fighting their illness for years, suffering all the while. They know they're going to die, and that it'll be a long and even more painful process. Their loved ones will suffer too. Why should they have to endure it if we can alleviate their pain by taking a shortcut to the inevitable?

Which for some reason gives them the authority to force their internal morality on others? If you don't believe in euthanasia, don't get euthanised. Don't act like you have the answer for everyone.
    Talking about something publicly isn't "forcing their internal morality on others". Don't like people talking about how euthanasia is bad? Walk away from the computer or ignore the thread. Just because somebody makes a thread or comment about something you disagree with, and then you read such comment, you are in no way having another internal morality "forced" on you. If anything that tells me that you feel threatened or offended that people challenge what you believe in.

People who are against something do not need to avoid talking about disliking it, just as I'd expect those who are for something have the platform to talk about what they are in support of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Fact is, you're just making up "facts" as you go.
    In the poll conducted by the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) among the journal's readers, who are primarily health-care providers, people from 74 countries cast 2,356 votes, including 1,712 votes from U.S. readers.

Overall, about 65 percent of votes were against the idea of permitting physician-assisted suicide. The rate among U.S. voters was similar, with about 67 percent voting against physician-assisted suicide.
    Nice try.

Alas I must sleep so this is all I can post on this topic for now. Fact is, many many people are with me so it really is disturbing how others are trying to act as if they are in the majority.

Talking about something publicly isn't "forcing their internal morality on others". Don't like people talking about how euthanasia is bad? Walk away from the computer or ignore the thread. Just because somebody makes a thread or comment about something you disagree with, and then you read such comment, you are in no way having another internal morality "forced" on you. If anything that tells me that you feel threatened or offended that people challenge what you believe in.

People who are against something do not need to avoid talking about disliking it, just as I'd expect those who are for something have the platform to talk about what they are in support of.
    My position: Kill yourself if you want to, or don't. I don't really care.
    OP: Killing yourself is always bad and no one should be allowed to do it.

Yep, totally equal positions. Sounds to me you could've taken your own advice and just not replied to me. But you're insecure about your position, right?
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2017-06-30 at 03:18 AM.

My position: Kill yourself if you want to, or don't. I don't really care.
    OP: Killing yourself is always bad and no one should be allowed to do it.

Yep, totally equal positions. Sounds to me you could've taken your own advice and just not replied to me.
    I'm not talking about if any of the positions are equal or not. I don't care. The point is that reading about someone's views, even if they are saying you should or should not do something, it still isn't forcing you to do or feel one way or another. Unless you must be compelled to automatically follow what somebody types up on a mere forum thread.

Deleted
    Ok.

You're getting flamed because we think you're being very unsympathetic and cannot put yourself in the shoe of someone in true pain.
    Basically, we think your view of death as something that "just happens" with no pain for you and your surroundings as kind of ridiculous. It's a very odd appeal to tradition that makes no sense, at least to me.
    I base that claim on your previous post:
    If I got ill I would go to the hospital and do the best I can to fight it. I would take whatever treatment that was offered. If it eventually got so bad that I died from this illness then it how life works. You get ill towards the end of your life and you die. People don't live forever.
    That is a very ignorant answer and I hope you see why.

Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    Suicide....legal?

That's...fucked up.
    If there are specific circumstances that need to be met then I don't see a problem with that at all. Ever have a family member stuck to a bed and suffering from pain for years? This might be a harsh way to look at it but what do you do with your pet if they are suffering and there is literally nothing that you can do to save them. You tried everything you could but you still get told it's only a matter of time and they are suffering every minute. Do you let them cry in pain and sit there in the same spot not moving or let them move on. If there is literally nothing you can do to save someone and they are just sitting there suffering every day I think they SHOULD have a choice to have an assisted suicide.
    Last edited by avx81; 2017-06-30 at 03:29 AM.

I'm not talking about if any of the positions are equal or not. I don't care. The point is that reading about someone's views, even if they are saying you should or should not do something, it still isn't forcing you to do or feel one way or another. Unless you must be compelled to automatically follow what somebody types up on a mere forum thread.
    But you do care, you replied. And in doing so everything you have to say about me can be applied to you.

PEOPLE AGAINST KEVORKIAN: Family members/friends who don't want loved ones taken away from them prematurely (an understood sentiment, but a selfish one IMO).

PEOPLE FOR DR. DEATH: The actual, suffering patient. Nobody (of sane mind) WANTS to die, but sometimes the only alternative is a short, agony-laden life. My grandfather was a dignified, if stern man. He cared deeply of what others thought of him, and he lived a proud life. The face he wore to the grave was so horrific and disturbing that one can not help but feel the suffering he must have endured in his final days. This because my mom and her sisters were too afraid to let him down easy; choosing to preserve him for as long as they possibly could with a tube shoved deep into his body because he could no longer breathe on his own. If I were in his shoes, I'd have asked for a strong sedative long before my faculties had decayed enough to no longer have responsibility of my own fate.
    Last edited by Weaponized Nuclear Kitten; 2017-06-30 at 03:27 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where I want to be and where I am are 2 different places
    We have no problem euthanizing our pets when their suffering becomes too unbearable for them to continue on with any semblance of a healthy life. Shit some humans have no qualm about euthanizing pets who are still healthy but they're an inconvenience but we can't euthanize other humans when their suffering becomes too great or unbearable? That to me is ridiculous. If they want to go and are of sound mind, let them go.

Nice try.

Alas I must sleep so this is all I can post on this topic for now. Fact is, many many people are with me so it really is disturbing how others are trying to act as if they are in the majority.
    And yet in our own country Assisted Suicide is legal.

http://eol.law.dal.ca/?page_id=236

Assisted Suicide

On June 17, 2016, new federal legislation came into force creating a regulatory framework for medical assistance in dying in Canada. Under this legislation, medical assistance in dying is legal if the eligibility criteria are met and the procedural safeguards are followed. Medical assistance in dying includes both assisted suicide and voluntary euthanasia.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

But you do care, you replied. And in doing so everything you have to say about me can be applied to you.
    Sure I can stop posting in the thread if I want, which will be in a little since I have things to do. However, I think you're misinterpreting what it is I am caring about by my posting. I care about challenging people who spread the weak argument that you can have beliefs "forced" on you over the internet, a very laughable claim in all honesty. If I cared that much about the opinions on assisted suicide I would have been posting much more about in this thread already (If you don't believe me look at the walls of text I can produce about other things in other threads I have posted in). My lack of posts here is evidence of simply mild caring about the topic.