Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

The original purpose of the Tomb of Sargeras (minor raid spoilers)

So as we descend into the tomb the architecture of it is mainly elven, because it was the temple of Elune. But at the Maiden of Vigilance it shifts sharply into very characteristic Titan architecture. The style suggests that it was built even before Aegwynn sealed away the Avatar of Sargeras in it.

That got me thinking. What was the Titan Tomb's original purpose? It seems like a holding cell for something, or parts of something bigger. Especially the room with the Avatar of Sargeras. The machinery that holds him was clearly not designed by Aegwynn. Also it is intresting to note that the area beneath the Avatar of Sargeras is a hollow cave of some sort, like there was something before the legion or Sarg felled it up.

My theory is that it was originally built by the titans as the prison of N'zoth and the thing that was holding the Avatar may have been a shackle for just a part/tentacle/thingy of N'zoth.
    It may very well suggest that the image of Aegwynn is indeed the projection of N'zoth or at least the imprisonment of the Avatar of Sarg was part of N'zoth's plan to bring back the legion ages later to help him escape by using the pillars of creation. The pillars may even be keys to the Old God's prison, and by using them we are unleashing the full power of an Old God on Azeroth, unlike the half conscious C'thun or the imprisoned and tightly held Yogg'Sharon we might face N'zoth at it's full potential in the future.

So what do you think?
    Is it even news? or am I late to the Tomb specualtion party?
    Last edited by mmoc72ff649e1e; 2017-06-29 at 09:42 AM.

A lot of theories are flying around that when we return to Azeroth we find out N'zoth has escaped and started the last push to claim our planet.

there's a few hints that this is the surface of N'zoth's prison and using the pillars at the top might also have been the key that locked his ass up.

My personal theory, while we're on Argus... N'zoth gets free, but goes through the portal and attacks Argus' world soul while we're beating on Sargeras' spirit. We have to retreat back to Azeroth, close off the portal and N'zoth creates the Dark Titan. From there, the Dark Army is born and the Void spills into our universe, tracing the Legions footsteps throughout the universe, conquering all their strongholds until they reach the resistance worlds.

Argus is literally cracked open and would be easy for N'zoth to reach the World Soul, while on Azeroth he would still have to burrow.

Deleted
    Argus is not stated to have an world soul. And if it did it would probably be long dead.

Presumably some sort of place of power, that's why the Old Gods fought over it as well, Titans perhaps just wanted to seal it off from the rest of the world, so no one could ever use these powers.

I mean this place houses a portal to Argus that can just bring over KJ without any issue, so i would assume this place is similiar to the Well of Eternity, i mean not even the Sunwell could properly bring KJ over to Azeroth without massive input from the Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Czapo View Post
    unlike the half conscious C'thun or the imprisoned and tightly held Yogg'Sharon we might face N'zoth at it's full potential in the future.
    C'Thun was fully awake and free.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Worse, C'Thun has awakened, freed itself, and reemerged from the planet's depths. (WC Encyclopedia)

Yogg had broken through all but the last of its restraints.
    This ancient horror has corrupted its guards, and now it is breaking through the last of its restraints. Faced with the peril of Yogg-Saron's imminent freedom, a band of mortals has made preparations for a sweeping assault on the city. (Game Guide)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    C'Thun was fully awake and free.
    Worse, C'Thun has awakened, freed itself, and reemerged from the planet's depths. (WC Encyclopedia)

Yogg had broken through all but the last of its restraints.
    This ancient horror has corrupted its guards, and now it is breaking through the last of its restraints. Faced with the peril of Yogg-Saron's imminent freedom, a band of mortals has made preparations for a sweeping assault on the city. (Game Guide)
    Makes one wonder, what does freedom mean to an Old God? They are biologically incapable of movement, so it's not like they are literally locked down. They were imbedded before that. What could C'thun, a free Old God, do that Yogg-Saron and N'Zoth, imprisoned Old Gods, could not? I know C'thun was the only Old God to lead an army of his minions rather than corrupted beings, but the other Old Gods still had some Faceless out and about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Makes one wonder, what does freedom mean to an Old God?
    not being locked in a gigantic dark high security prison

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

I really dislike the idea that "while we're away" some sneaky bad guy is gonna creep up on Azeroth and put it in a chokehold. It could be (and I think would be cool) that somehow our actions at the tomb free N'zoth, but if he's really free.... he's showing up. Our being gone is simply an unfortunate coincidence.

The exception would be if we somehow stay on Argus for a long time (years) and they advance the timeline quite a bit (doubtful) and the whole planet is incommunicado the whole time when it's... right over there /points at sky
    Last edited by elaina; 2017-06-30 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Makes one wonder, what does freedom mean to an Old God? They are biologically incapable of movement, so it's not like they are literally locked down. They were imbedded before that. What could C'thun, a free Old God, do that Yogg-Saron and N'Zoth, imprisoned Old Gods, could not? I know C'thun was the only Old God to lead an army of his minions rather than corrupted beings, but the other Old Gods still had some Faceless out and about.
    I see The Old Gods more like sentient plants, afterall they rooted themselves in Azeroth, and Y'Shaarj dies when Aman'Thul pulls him out from the land, similar to what will happen if you rip a plant out from the soil.

Titan Prison is like a flower pot that prevents their roots from going everywhere. Old God without their Prison is like moving a particularly nasty flower from its small pot to a proper field. Before long you bet the thing is going to grow big and be all over the place, since it has access to all the nutrient and water from the soil (Or in our Old God's case, Titan juice)

Deleted
    Well one thing makes the place intresting - he have to use 4 Pillars to open our way to the imprisoned Avatar. That is suspiciously close to the quote from Il'gynoth that maybe hint when we use the 5 pillars for something, we will release someone or something - "Five keys to open our way. Five torches light our path."

Wild guess is that at some point Magni will find another titan facility by "accident"("The King of Diamonds has been made a pawn.") similar to Tomb and for some wierd reason to pen it, we will use the 5 pillars and BAM - WoW 8.0 "Wrath of the Old gods" /giggle

Quote Originally Posted by Deithy View Post
    Well one thing makes the place intresting - he have to use 4 Pillars to open our way to the imprisoned Avatar. That is suspiciously close to the quote from Il'gynoth that maybe hint when we use the 5 pillars for something, we will release someone or something - "Five keys to open our way. Five torches light our path."

Wild guess is that at some point Magni will find another titan facility by "accident"("The King of Diamonds has been made a pawn.") similar to Tomb and for some wierd reason to pen it, we will use the 5 pillars and BAM - WoW 8.0 "Wrath of the Old gods" /giggle
    The fifth one is the Aegis of Aggramar, you placed it on top of the building at Cathedral of Eternal Night, right before you fight Mephi.

The Maiden of Vigilance, according to the dungeon journal, was put there by Aegwynn when she sealed the Avatar of Sargeras there. This was only hundreds of years ago, long after the Sundering, long after the Temple of Elune was sunken to the bottom of the ocean.

However, before it was the Temple of Elune, we have some clues as to what was there. Xal'atath has some interesting quotes on the Broken Shore, describing the war that took place there.

Xal'atath whispers: I don't believe these lands have seen such carnage since the Battle for K'tanth. Such a long time ago...
    Xal'atath whispers: It was here in ages past that the God of the Deep lost a great battle to the God of Seven Heads. But as was so often the case even defeat ultimately worked in N'zoth's favor.
    Xal'atath whispers: This was always a place of power. Aegwynn was drawn here, and before her, the elves, and before them, the trolls. And before them...
    Xal'atath whispers: That fel edifice towering over this land pales in comparison to the grandeur of what stood here long ago.
    Xal'atath whispers: I do so enjoy seeing the shrine of a great enemy profaned by the spirits of its own worshippers. (Sisters of the Moon)
    It seems sometimes a shadow priest will also be able to be killed by Elune in the Cathedral of Eternal Night because of the blade.
    Xal'atath whispers: A remnant of power lingers in this broken temple. It must be ours! Come, enter the circle and take it.
    Xal'atath whispers: My mistake. It seems the upstart "goddess" still holds sway here. Oh well...
    It seems the Broken Shore and the Temple of Elune/Tomb of Sargeras were once under the control of the Old Gods, like much of ancient Kalimdor. Then, it seems, the Light, Elune, and/or Titans came in and purified the area. There are some connections to Elune and the Titans, as well. The Tear of Elune is a Titan relic, but it was purified by Elune in Val'sharah, and it was able to awaken Light's Heart. It's also mentioned in Chronicle Vol. 1 that Elune taught the early Night Elves "the language of the Titans" along with other things.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

I would really like to know what are those wings behind the avatar.... They look like a dragons wings, but purple. To whom do they belong?

Madness will consume you!!!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by killwithpwr View Post
    I would really like to know what are those wings behind the avatar.... They look like a dragons wings, but purple. To whom do they belong?
    those arent dragon wings, they are just generic demons wings and obviously his.

Formerly known as Arafal

Given how the Titan's buildings often turn out, it could be some kind of antenna. Maybe the original "place of power" to send and receive the Algalon signal?

Could also just be a temple to Elune, like how the Wyrmrest Temple (as far as I remember, anyway) was a gift to the dragonflights by the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    The Maiden of Vigilance, according to the dungeon journal, was put there by Aegwynn when she sealed the Avatar of Sargeras there. This was only hundreds of years ago, long after the Sundering, long after the Temple of Elune was sunken to the bottom of the ocean.

However, before it was the Temple of Elune, we have some clues as to what was there. Xal'atath has some interesting quotes on the Broken Shore, describing the war that took place there.

It seems sometimes a shadow priest will also be able to be killed by Elune in the Cathedral of Eternal Night because of the blade.

It seems the Broken Shore and the Temple of Elune/Tomb of Sargeras were once under the control of the Old Gods, like much of ancient Kalimdor. Then, it seems, the Light, Elune, and/or Titans came in and purified the area. There are some connections to Elune and the Titans, as well. The Tear of Elune is a Titan relic, but it was purified by Elune in Val'sharah, and it was able to awaken Light's Heart. It's also mentioned in Chronicle Vol. 1 that Elune taught the early Night Elves "the language of the Titans" along with other things.
    I understand what you are saying and it has a a lot of buoyancy. To further strengthen your points of interest: A quest given by Khadgar suggested that Elune may have made the prime Naaru Xe'ra which means that Elune can interchange between Light and Arcane schools of magic and explain why Balance spec has both Lunar and Solar energies that converge to make Astral magic.
    It makes me feel that Elune may be something akin (or even higher in the hierarchy) to a Titanic Keeper considering other Keepers created the Earthern and such.

But the one thing that comes to my mind is that people seem to think that the artifact's points of conversation are as solid as something stated within the Chronicles themselves and if it was an Old God - they are known for being massive shit-stirrers, we haven't got all of the books for Chronicles yet but it seems odd to exclude this supposedly, disposed Old God dwelling in an artifact and in relevation to the Black Empire itself. When the artifacts are discontinued for next expansion... What will happen to Xally? That's what I want to know. If they are part of the Black Empire what does it mean?
    Last edited by Evangeliste; 2017-06-30 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    those arent dragon wings, they are just generic demons wings and obviously his.

Do you see wings? I dont..

Then why would the Avatar of sargeras need wings of hia own?

Madness will consume you!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by killwithpwr View Post

Do you see wings? I dont..

Then why would the Avatar of sargeras need wings of hia own?
    Sometimes he is depicted having wings, though. I would imagine he has quite a lot of control over his physical form and can have wings if he so wills it.

"We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    I understand what you are saying and it has a a lot of buoyancy but the one thing that comes to my mind is that people seem to think that the artifact's points of conversation are as solid as something stated within the Chronicles themselves, we haven't got all of the books for Chronicles yet but it seems odd to exclude this supposedly, disposed Old God dwelling in an artifact. When the artifacts are discontinued for next expansion... What will happen to Xally? That's what I want to know. If they are part of the Black Empire what does it mean?
    We get a lot of conflicting information from Xal'atath and the priest order hall. The lore given from Artifact Knowledge outright says "Do not trust the blade" - but she also tells us things that truly make sense. She talks a lot about the history of places on the Broken Isles, and about different races. All of what she says sounds true enough - but there's no solid evidence that what she says is true. It just kind of fits in with what's previously stated.

For instance, she mentions a war fought between the Old Gods, which has already been established. In Dragon Soul, we learn that Warlord Zon'ozz was the general of N'Zoth, and that C'Thun and Yogg-Saron fought together against N'Zoth. Xal'atath mentions that Y'Shaarj and N'Zoth fought each other - which makes sense, because their territories were intertwined during the Black Empire. On that map, it looks like both Y'Shaarj and N'Zoth are battling for control over approximately where the Broken Isles are now, which fits into Xal's "battle of K'tanth" quote.

We also know more solid history that she was part of, which is backed up by her quotes. Modgus had the blade during the Dark Irons' siege of Grim Batol. This is speculated by Shadowlord Slaghammer:
    That blade... I knew Moira would want ta know. I think that dagger has been behind some of the worst nightmares Azeroth has seen if I remember the stories. It looks similar ta stories told about the War o' Three Hammers... and Grim Batol.
    Later reinforced in the class hall book about Xal'atath, where it's mentioned that the blade disappeared from Modgud in her hour of need. The blade then goes on to say:
    Xal'atath whispers: I remember the Dark Iron fondly. Modgud was so easy to influence, such was her hate. Imagine her fury when I abandoned her to the Wildhammer at the worst time. I can be very easy to lose. Remember that.
    As far as if she's her own Old God, it's not made clear by anyone but the blade itself. She mentions all the other Old Gods by name, and she never speaks in first person. She never directly says she's an Old God, but she calls the other Old Gods "brothers" nonetheless.
    Xal'atath whispers: It was thought his was incorruptible. A lesson from my brothers I suppose.
    Xal'atath whispers: We may face some of my brethren in this conflict... a prospect that delights me. Their power will be mine! They will pay for what was done to me long ago.
    She also harbors a serious disdain for all the other Old Gods, and their minions. We actively kill Zakazj (a minion of Yogg-Saron) because she tells us to. Kith'ix (Zakazj's partner in crime) used the blade to start the Troll-Aqir war, but in a forceful way. She cheers us on to kill anything from N'Zoth or the Nightmare. So, it's possible she's another Old God that was killed by the other Old Gods long ago, either in or before the Black Empire. We really only have her word to go off of, which isn't exactly reliable, but isn't unreliable at this point either.

As far as future expansions, it's entirely possible she could leave us, like she did Modgud. It's possible that due to us empowering her to oblivion that she could "break free" from the blade, or simply grow larger. There are tons of possibilities for the blade or the entity to be a viable character/bad guy in the future. It would also be in character and wouldn't break the lore if she simply vanished to fulfill her own means. Granted, we don't know how any artifact will be handled, so this is all purely speculation. However, my bet is that she'll leave/abandon us, because she did that to many older wielders of her (Modgud, Twilight Deacon, Zan'do, etc).
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.