View Poll Results: dissolve the Union either by War or Vote?

Voters
54. This poll is closed
  • War (Left)

4 7.41%
  • War (Right)

9 16.67%
  • War (Center)

5 9.26%
  • Vote (Left)

12 22.22%
  • Vote (Right)

9 16.67%
  • Vote (Center)

15 27.78%
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I am seriously confused here, maybe it's my fault because I can recall the specifics.

Who is we in that sentence The U.S? If so then ok.

If who held out a little longer?

I am not talking about the elections or who is in office the post has nothing to do with that, it's a question about what if people in general divided as I think.

What would people go for?

It's more about asking what would be the course is the U.S dissolved rather say a single state. I am thinking the Brexit or Civil Conflict.
    We is the left.. The right is in the control to think otherwise is to deny reality. We are going to slowly be dragged back to the center and then the far right before what I hoped would happen would happen.

The left came so close to the sun but its wings were but made of wax and they fell...

7+ Year Old Account
    If you wanna destroy the country over petty disputes, sure.

Hahaha Yeah that is why I voted War because I don't think we could ever do a Brexit or Calexit, or Texit LOL!

Honestly if it were just A state, as it has been, I think it would be very different is several states grouped up. I think the chief thing would be as has been suggested laziness it's pretty powerful.

But if enough feel nothing to lose then I don't know.
    Don't forget this country has history here. Even when the federal government was much weaker it stayed together. In its current incarnation there is really no way a state or even a group of states can face the U.S. military. The best way for states to secede is a constitutional amendment. And again they all lack the proper economic motivation right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    We is the left.. The right is in the control to think otherwise is to deny reality. We are going to slowly be dragged back to the center and then the far right before what I hoped would happen would happen.

The left came so close to the sun but its wings were but made of wax and they fell...
    Ok, I am not at all in agreement with this, I mean it's interesting and pretty much what I asked about in the OP.

So Bravo.

As to anything else, I couldn't be any further apart from you than someone on the right extreme or not. If you say you are left, I mean ok, but I known just as many liberals who are liberal for very different reason as I have Conservatives who are the same way.

I honestly think, I great deal don't know. However on this issue, aside from separating where people lean. I think both are very much where they are for their own reasons and nobody is getting dragged back to anything.

Some people that are always in the middle or never really considered their thoughts as anything other than a tag line in a bio online or something, but most I met don't even if they align on the same tree.

However I will say Libertarian gets thrown around a lot. I am not so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    If you wanna destroy the country over petty disputes, sure.
    I don't think the Tea Party or Freedom Caucus think they have a petty Dispute, I am not sure BLM think theirs is either, or the Alt Right.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    Ok, I am not at all in agreement with this, I mean it's interesting and pretty much what I asked about in the OP.

So Bravo.

As to anything else, I couldn't be any further apart from you than someone on the right extreme or not. If you say you are left, I mean ok, but I known just as many liberals who are liberal for very different reason as I have Conservatives who are the same way.

I honestly think, I great deal don't know. However on this issue, aside from separating where people lean. I think both are very much where they are for their own reasons and nobody is getting dragged back to anything.

Some people that are always in the middle or never really considered their thoughts as anything other than a tag line in a bio online or something, but most I met don't even if they align on the same tree.

However I will say Libertarian gets thrown around a lot. I am not so.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think the Tea Party or Freedom Caucus think they have a petty Dispute, I am not sure BLM think theirs is either, or the Alt Right.
    How fortunate that all of those extremist groups constitute only a vocal, fringe minority in our country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    Don't forget this country has history here. Even when the federal government was much weaker it stayed together. In its current incarnation there is really no way a state or even a group of states can face the U.S. military. The best way for states to secede is a constitutional amendment. And again they all lack the proper economic motivation right now.
    Good arguments, even thought I am skeptical. I do agree about the proper economic motivation as i said it would be the biggest factor, because again when people are forced to deal with reality more and more, people get cranky.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    How fortunate that all of those extremist groups constitute only a vocal, fringe minority in our country.
    Eh minority based on what though exactly?

Not dismissing what you are saying but based one what?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Sorry, but anyone who thinks something like this will happen has been doing some crazy ass drugs.
    Exactly. This is like the European Union break up level of stupid. There are no benefits in doing so, and a lot of disadvantages. The only reason to do it is because your beliefs differ than the majority of people in another state. Not all the people, just the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    The religious right (land locked mostly) areas would turn into a 3rd world country without the coastal support they are currently getting so...no. So tired of hearing idiots complain about immigration and liberalism while receiving huge subsidies from liberal immigrant heavy states.

California (filled with liberal Mexicans) is basically paying for most of the Trump voters.
    Actually wouldn't places like california basically collapse due to lack of access to enough goods to supply the stupid amount of people clustered together?

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    Actually wouldn't places like california basically collapse due to lack of access to enough goods to supply the stupid amount of people clustered together?
    CA GDP alone is among the highest in the world

10+ Year Old Account
    The Solution is it time for the USA to dissolve the Union either by War or Vote?

I am not sure how realistic war would be, but I am sure that the time may have come to finally go our separate ways. I see that the differences in fundamental ideas aren't only extreme in places like Texas and California.

I think we have reached an impass in the way some are willing to tolerate being governed. I also think it makes sense. We aren't going to work things out without blood shed, or separations.

So what do you think do you agree or disagree, if you agree what values do you most care about, and where would you rather live if the states divide by red and blue?

Maybe establish something inbetween.
    I've been saying this for a while. The federal government should be dissolved. Each state should become it's own country. It works for Europe, it should be the same in the U.S., un-unite them. Perhaps keep it around to have a military to watch over it, but that is all.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

We are not yet done with this grand experiment in governance. We've had plenty of times in our history that have been far more conflicted in every sense of the word.
    The problem we have today is that many people aren't tolerant of patience anymore. Like children, they want what they want...NOW.

I think the problem with this thread is it doesn't actually address the division in this country.

The real division is city v rural.

The liberals control the cities. That is why Hillary won the popular vote. If there was no electoral college, the big cities would just dictate to the rest of the country.

The Pubs basically control the rural areas.

The cities are growing and the rural areas are frequently becoming more incesed at the cities.

Just think about how different life is for a stock broker in NYC v a farmer in a rural area. In a way, you are talking about two different worlds trying to live together under the same set of rules. Now you see why there are problems.....

As for the war v non-war. I don't think that division is as important. Think about the political parties. Certainly, there are hawks and doves in both parties. Notice, how neither side really breaks with their party though. For example, the Pub doves didn't abandon ship when Trump sent some missles at Syria, the Dem doves didn't jump ship when Hillary/Obama bombed out Libya with little (or no) provacation. The hawks don't jump ship in times of peace.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have this picture in my head that if the USA did dissolve, rather than become separate states with collective ideals (considering there is no real fine line split of the states and people are unlikely to shift to another state simply because of differing political views) the constant circlejerk of arguing over how the states should be separated will eventually lead to the states declaring individuality from any union before they realise the mistake they've made and the US deteriorates into a a series of cities and towns with borders and trade pacts with other cities.

Well that or you dislike each other enough to never separate as that will give others too much freedom and you ain't having that.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

10+ Year Old Account
    @Mall Security I'm sure someone must have mentioned it, but I'll chime in to note that your thread is horribly slanted because there is no option for staying together.

My vote? No, it isn't time. We are what we have always been, a group of individual states that are united because we are stronger as a whole. For all the bickering, that remains true even today.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol, these threads are always so funny.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why is- the Union should remain intact not an option.

Our Country is too mixed, there is no clear divide in population/state spread. Especially if war was involved, 50% of the country would literally move and/or be pitted against friends and loved ones.

Even in California 32.14% voted for Trump

And in Texas 43.23% voted for Hillary

As for if it did split.... it sounds disastrous with either vote or war, both will get messy, so I'll just apply to become a Canadian citizen. If we split, might as well go somewhere with common sense (saying their common sense would be greater if we were dumb enough to split.
    Last edited by -Nurot; 2017-06-30 at 02:30 PM.

"my candidate didn't win so it's time to goto war and dissolve the country..."

This is why liberals and democrats are not taken seriously.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Didn't we have this conversation right after Trump won?

No, the people who matter control everything in the country and the people who matter aren't going to break up America or start a Civil War. And the people who matter will shoot you if you try.

Just wait 3 years and 6 months and run a new left wing guy.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    It's worriesome how fast this thread devolved into doom-and-gloom scenarios of war, financial collapse and nukes... Goes to show how many here really tick, when the option of an (initially) peacefull spilt by vote was an eqaual option in the original gedankenexperiment. Somehow this got lost among all you tough guys' big words.
    Because we were united for a reason. Had we been divided then there likely would never have ever been a USA, and what would have followed then...
    To divide now you have to get rid of the US Constitution.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    And republicans have lost ALL credibility and percieved sanity thanks to Trump. So where does that leave the US?
    That's subjective, in my eyes, it's the left wing that seems determined to act like they just got their candy stolen.