Deleted

Wow and RL productivity

Hey guys,

I am just thinking about getting back into the game but I'm afraid that my productivity will drop significantly.

How do you guys balance it? How do you become better in RL while playing wow? How do you avoid only doing the bare minimum and playing the rest of the time?

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Have some will power.

And treat it as a game, ie a fun thing to do, not an 'addiction'.

Depends what your goal is in-game?

Raiding progression?
    Casual?
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long

Quote Originally Posted by Tayde View Post
    Hey guys,

I am just thinking about getting back into the game but I'm afraid that my productivity will drop significantly.

How do you guys balance it? How do you become better in RL while playing wow? How do you avoid only doing the bare minimum and playing the rest of the time?

Thanks
    Only play when you're done with RL stuff.
    Time management if you have a raiding schedule (and find a guild that fits your RL schedule, don't try to force it).
    Forget about alts, only focus on one toon.

And my secret trick: If you get in that "I really want to just play" state of mind, do it, like play the entire weekend. You'll scratch that itch, almost get tired of the game and realize you wasted a lot of time. Then you'll play casually because you had a taste of the no life style. If you don't do that you'll always try to play everytime you can in little sessions, it will stay stuck in the back of your mind but you'll never actually play enough to satisfy that urge.
    Well, that works for me but it's probably not for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play about an hour a day during the week, then ignore it for the weekend.

Then, once every month or two, I no life the fuck out of it for 2 days like there's no tomorrow. I try to align these no-lifer sprints with patch releases. Kinda lets me reminiscent my hardcore gamer past while keeping it to a minimum.

Edit: Shit, Swalload, you're inside my head.

Deleted
    I work anywhere between 40-70 hours a week, got to spend time with my girlfriend and have a social life.
    I still manage to push out some hours a week to play WoW, but I had to make a deal with myself that I only play towards certain goals, otherwise it wont work.

You could for example make a deal with yourself to only pvp when you log in, or only do mythic dungeons etc.

Like anything else, by priority. Wow has a much lower priority now than it once did so it's not a problem for me. I would tell you to always put priority on RL things vs. WOW, but I would be a hypocrite. Just remember, it's just a game, real life isn't.

It's hard to balance RL and Gaming with MMO's.

I would probably drop the MMO and play single player games.

5+ Year Old Account
    I'm honestly terrible at balancing it. I tried for years, even after long breaks, but it kept getting f'd up.
    What I ended up doing was deleting my 12 year old account and creating a new one, only adding a couple of Real ID-friends.

Just having an account I'm not that devoted to and haven't invested that much time in makes it easier to play less since I never have to come up with the "I've invested so much time in this account that I can't just cut down on it!"-excuse.

But, I'm pretty weak, so I'd try to see if something less drastic works for you first.
    It's not the cheapest option (n)either.

Deleted
    I've been unemployed for a large part of Legion but in the past I didn't really feel like I struggled, I mostly just kept it to loging in for raids and I didn't bother with more than two characters, worked just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    snip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    Edit: Shit, Swalload, you're inside my head.
    Is it an african or a european swalload?

I find it very easy, make it your lowest priority and its fine, I'm married with a child and am still able to put aside 6/9 hours to mythic raid and play when there not much else going on that needs my attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Is it an african or a european swalload?
    I sure hope it's European. We already got enough African (boat)loads around here as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    Only play when you're done with RL stuff.
    Time management if you have a raiding schedule (and find a guild that fits your RL schedule, don't try to force it).
    Forget about alts, only focus on one toon.

And my secret trick: If you get in that "I really want to just play" state of mind, do it, like play the entire weekend. You'll scratch that itch, almost get tired of the game and realize you wasted a lot of time. Then you'll play casually because you had a taste of the no life style. If you don't do that you'll always try to play everytime you can in little sessions, it will stay stuck in the back of your mind but you'll never actually play enough to satisfy that urge.
    Well, that works for me but it's probably not for everyone.
    To a certain type of player, this gambit could result in setting high expectations of what you should be able to accomplish in a given time, and creating disappointment with limited playtime.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayde View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks
    It's very simple. You play when you're done with everything else. When you have some disposable time. That's it.

Deleted
    I handle my gaming life the same way like my business life. Do as much as I can, as good as possible. But keep in mind that, while unlike in real life, spending too much time in WoW (or any game) or putting too much effort in it, won't get you anywhere. Also make sure that you take breaks from both, to keep a clean mind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeresman View Post
    Have some will power.

And treat it as a game, ie a fun thing to do, not an 'addiction'.

Depends what your goal is in-game?

Raiding progression?
    Casual?
    I just wanna do achievs and maybe some casual raiding.

It may work best for you to schedule certain times to play, and only let yourself play during those pre-arranged times. A lot of people are saying "get everything else done first," but I've found that the list of things that need to get done never actually ends. If I only allowed myself to relax when everything got done, I'd never be able to relax and I'd die an early death by exhaustion and stress. Relaxation and fun are important, so make time for them. Just don't spend more time playing than you planned.