Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Nice try.

Alas I must sleep so this is all I can post on this topic for now. Fact is, many many people are with me so it really is disturbing how others are trying to act as if they are in the majority.
    Funny, a democratic majority voted for a law that allows for assisted suicide and you claim that the majority is against it?

Face it: This is democracy, there is no way to make laws if you don't have a majority. If you don't like it, the US are probably not the right place for you.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    hah, so the left wants to execute terminally ill children by committee but is appalled when adults in horrifying pain decide to end their lives in a fairly humane way.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    hah, so the left wants to execute terminally ill children by committee but is appalled when adults in horrifying pain decide to end their lives in a fairly humane way.
    Do we? Must have missed it at the global left meeting

Deleted
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/28/health...-bn/index.html

Rather disturbing. We can only hope public opinion changes so that the law can be reversed. Why in the world are we encouraging this?
    No really, are you Ken M???

Deleted
    If I got ill I would go to the hospital and do the best I can to fight it. I would take whatever treatment that was offered. If it eventually got so bad that I died from this illness then it how life works. You get ill towards the end of your life and you die. People don't live forever.
    Brace your self.

It's quite obvious that you have no experience at all from being around people who are going through hell on earth for months before passing. You really should go and spend a month or two with someone who is terminally ill and is really suffering before creating threads like this...

I have seen people die slowly over very long periods of time while suffering immensly for no reason, just because they don't have the right to end their life in a humane way on their own terms. And I will most likely die in the same way. It is a basic human right in my opinion and I really hope that this will become an option in my country when I'm older because I don't want to suffer for months by my diseases when I'm dying.

To be honest I get really upset that people like you would force people like me into this living hell. I'll say it again, you obviously have no idea what suffering is. In my twenties I had four chronic deseases, (now just past 30 years old it's around six diseases) and I have been on and off cytostatic treatment and will suffer from this shit until the day I die. Just to stay alive I take roughly 2250 shots / year and tons of pills every day on top of that. Last week alone I also had five hospital visits. My last visit they said I also have anemia but they don't know what the cause is yet, and tbh I don't even have the energy to think/worry about it... I wonder if you would be just as casual about this if you lived my life for just a month. And then imagine a lifetime of this.

It's not like I'm gonna roll over and give up as a young man but when I'm old and have suffered and fought for a lifetime and I can barely move, I'd like to go out nice and calmly, surrounded by the poeple I love and you have NO right denying me this.

Is it a religious madness or whats going on here? Are you just ignorant? What could you possibly gain from forcing people into even more suffering?

Quote Originally Posted by Naelwen View Post
    Are you just ignorant? What could you possibly gain from forcing people into even more suffering?
    The most precious thing of all, more replies on your mmo-champion thread to feed your ego.

I feel the solution if you're against assisted suicide and voluntary euthanasia is as simple as it is if you are against abortion...don't do it.

If you get a terminal illness and decide that you want every last minute life gives you...even if that means losing your entire sense of self, living in constant agony, or both...then don't opt in for these kinds of programs. That's your right and I'll defend you for choosing that path even if the entire world is against you...because it's your choice and no one else's.

For myself...If I were in that situation...I'd want to be able to consider all the options. Maybe I'll choose to ride the whole thing out...maybe I'll take the "Easy Way Out"...but that should be my decision and not yours.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Deleted
    as a personal anecdote, my father in law died 3 years ago from cancer, in the end he was in a ton of pain , and absolutely wanted it to end. He told me aswell as his other son in law that he didn't want to live like that anymore, but he also didn't want his family to suffer/couldn't just go hang himself" (before you go "see ? he didn't really want to die, no he didn't, he just didn't want to live on like this, jumping from a bridge or whatever isn't "easy") yet if he would have talked to this with a professional no one would be allowed to even tell him anything besides "no , you can't die"/would technically even be required to get him into into a psychatric ward if the professional in question suspected he was suicidal. this man was in constant pain, and because "suicide is bad and has to be prevented" was not even able to get someone professional to talk about his thoughts how he would be better of if it just ended here and now, let alone get help to pass away peacefully. Obviously there need to be rules, there need to be professional evaluations, there need to be important reasons but in the name of christ, don't force people to suffer because "killing yourself is bad"

Rather disturbing. We can only hope public opinion changes so that the law can be reversed. Why in the world are we encouraging this?
    Your complete inability to ever consider someone else's opinion on any matter never ceases to astound me...

Are people really this dumb as to realize why this law exists? Is it on purpose or really just ignorance? People have no right to tell me I have to live. Its my choice. Instead of making it a long painful suffering for someone dying or someone taking their own life in a dangerous way, this way calls for a peaceful and painless end. Why deny someone that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe 88 View Post
    as a personal anecdote, my father in law died 3 years ago from cancer, in the end he was in a ton of pain , and absolutely wanted it to end. He told me aswell as his other son in law that he didn't want to live like that anymore, but he also didn't want his family to suffer/couldn't just go hang himself" (before you go "see ? he didn't really want to die, no he didn't, he just didn't want to live on like this, jumping from a bridge or whatever isn't "easy") yet if he would have talked to this with a professional no one would be allowed to even tell him anything besides "no , you can't die"/would technically even be required to get him into into a psychatric ward if the professional in question suspected he was suicidal. this man was in constant pain, and because "suicide is bad and has to be prevented" was not even able to get someone professional to talk about his thoughts how he would be better of if it just ended here and now, let alone get help to pass away peacefully. Obviously there need to be rules, there need to be professional evaluations, there need to be important reasons but in the name of christ, don't force people to suffer because "killing yourself is bad"

It's pure ignorance why people think that way. I'm sorry about your father in law.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    What does this have to do with the politics? Keep your political bullshit to yourself. There are no executing commitees, There is no "Left being appalled". Infact, the right would rather people suffer. So if you want to get political there is that.

Dafuq? They are DYING, let them go out how they want. Why in the world would you oppose thiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    I think suicide being illegal is the funniest thing ever. Really, just think about it:

If a person succeeds at suicide, who are you going to prosecute? A corpse? I know there's a lot of scumbag lawyers but I don't think any of them would stoop that low. Besides, what are you going to do? Throw a corpse in jail?

If a person fails/backs out/whatever reason but ends up not dying, you're really going to put a suicidal person in jail? The person needs help, not being locked up. If they knew they were gonna be thrown in jail, they'd probably have just done it to begin with (and will likely just die in jail anyway).
    My thoughts exactly. Banning suicide is a laughable concept.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    If it's one thing you should truly own, it's your own life. People should be allowed to make the thoroughly thought through decision to end it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It's a step forward for more states/countries to allow this. No one should have to live in agony from a terminal illness. Let them die with dignity and on their own terms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgasm View Post
    I hope public opinion changes and this becomes allowed everywhere.
    These, and many other replies in favor of euthanasia, are right on the money!

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    What does this have to do with the politics?
    Very true - this really is NOT a political issue. Religious? Maybe. Political? Nope.
    Last edited by mmocc836e66a65; 2017-06-30 at 07:48 PM.

The biggest point is: Terminal Illness

Yes, it's sad that 111 people decided to take the option out sooner, rather than battle it out. but it was a decision they chose. Terminal Illness is a scary thing. Some people are eager to fight it and hopefully a cure comes along in their life time. But some are in constant pain and misery. Others so crippled, it's just a prolonged wait for death. The bill is controversial at best, but I can understand where people are coming from about the choice. It's a legalized suicide.

As long as it remains for only Terminally ill patients. I'm in no position to argue. If there's a sickness I know I'll progressively get worse in. I'd rather take my life into my own hands. Rather than waiting for the inevitable through plausible pain.

I've spent some time in those parts of the hospital (as a patient). If I ever get to the point of what I saw in there, I'm out.

I was given two weeks to live, a 70% chance of surviving the surgery, a 50% chance of eventually leaving the hospital, and 6% 5-year survival odds (27 months, still here). The button and the beyond doesn't frighten me, not having one does.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardless Man View Post
    Some people are eager to fight it and hopefully a cure comes along in their life time. But some are in constant pain and misery.
    One thing I think most people (Not talking about you, but borrowing the context of this part) should remember is that most people do battle against terminal illnesses. But, they fight until either they can't take it anymore or until they decide it's better for them to die (Dignity, family suffering, etc)

Some people actually think terminal patients would seek euthanasia the moment they are diagnosed.
    Last edited by Nerdgasm; 2017-06-30 at 10:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We should do what we can to make their final days as peaceful as possible. Not give them the means to end their life. That's not right!

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like quite a slippery slope. How long before people try to get the disabled, the poor or mentally ill to follow suit?
    What you have here is a very black and white response...trouble is the world isn't just black and white.

i figured out two things,

first to fraud, have a mark get misdiagnosed with a terminal illness, then have them choose death, then do an autopsy proving they didn't have terminal illness, then sue for wrongful death.

If you get the doctor in on it too, very easy money.

Second, if there was a way to collect the names of terminally ill patients, then match them with well known public figures who are okay with assisted suicide, then we can continuously ask them "why is your terminally ill relative wasting taxpayer money? can't you get them to die yet?" nonstop citing that they supported this bill.

checkmates

We should do what we can to make their final days as peaceful as possible. Not give them the means to end their life. That's not right!
    Sometimes we can't. It's better for the patients to stop suffering, it's their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    So, you're saying it'll lead to suicide becoming more widespread?

Because the quality of life matters, not the number of years. A depressed person can be treated and live a happy life. A terminally ill person's life will just be suffering until their inevitable death. Also you seem to be severely underestimating the intense emotional and mental anguish the terminally ill suffer.

p.s. going to bed so I'll answer any reply tomorrow.
    No, I'm saying it still leaves the position of an individual determining if suicide is 'okay' for their perception of 'right for them, wrong for them'. A person in physical pain should have more of a societal acceptance to kill themselves, yet someone who is 'only depressed' or 'only in psychological anguish' without the physical pain should not have equal acceptance or opposition (depending on your stance on suicide) when compared to the person with physical pain/conditions? I find that perspective pretty skewed with all sorts of double standards.

A depressed person *can* be treated and live a happy life, but you are grossly underestimating how difficult that is to 100% achieve for many individuals, the various types and degrees of depression affects said individuals in a wide spectrum that is far from easy and immediately treatable for those on one far end of the spectrum. I could also flip your stance on those suffering mental anguish, when coupled with a physical illness, by saying that not all people in such circumstances are completely unhappy (given the terrible circumstances). In fact, many people with such conditions as cancer, MS, etc have still had many sources of happiness despite pain and sorrow related to the conditions. As a result, the quality of life for everyone with such fatal conditions are far from being all negative. Should we assume that dying people are incapable of ever having a positive quality of life in anything from the moment of diagnosis?