Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I guess Chris Hansen and Dateline TO CATCH A PREDATOR are white trash now. What a shame. The thing is, usually when you turn something like this over to the police, they'll tell you that there is very little they can do about it until the man tries to act on it. This father got the man to try and act on it and the police would not have because police forces will never set up "stings" against sexual predators. They'll set up stings involving large drug busts because it gets them a lot of cash, but never for something that isn't profitable. The father basically forced their hand and made them charge the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Not really. We morally taboo the shit out of banging teens, for good reason, but using the term "sick" is mostly a product of that taboo rather than the other way around.
    Exactly. We taboo it, and because of how strong the taboo is we treat whomever breaking it as sick.
    Similar with murder. Someone doing it in cold blood violates one of the most important social rules. And anyone capable of doing it will be feared and considered sick.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    That's not how psychology/psychiatry functions. Mental disease is only diagnosed when a behavior out of the norm has a negative effect on a persons ability to function in society due to inhibited cognition, change in mood and so on. It does not apply to people who are fully aware of what they are doing is illegal and accept the risks.
    So how do you classify the mental state of serial killers? I think there are degrees of mental illness. Someone caught being a sexual predator does have some issues imo. Maybe not even mental per se but rather emotional that keep them from seeking out companionship or sexual relations with people who are actually mentally, emotionally and physically matured. Plenty of people who visit psychologists on a regular basis are law abiding members of society who simply have emotional issues they need to work on and could use some help with. I don't think any harm will would be done by having sexual predators talk with a counselor on a weekly basis or something like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ChampionChains View Post
    I guess Chris Hansen and Dateline TO CATCH A PREDATOR are white trash now. What a shame. The thing is, usually when you turn something like this over to the police, they'll tell you that there is very little they can do about it until the man tries to act on it. This father got the man to try and act on it and the police would not have because police forces will never set up "stings" against sexual predators. They'll set up stings involving large drug busts because it gets them a lot of cash, but never for something that isn't profitable. The father basically forced their hand and made them charge the guy.
    They do set up stings but usually its under the direction of some kind of state wide or federal task force. It isn't just local police deciding to do it by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    So how do you classify the mental state of serial killers? I think there are degrees of mental illness. Someone caught being a sexual predator does have some issues imo. Maybe not even mental per se but rather emotional that keep them from seeking out companionship or sexual relations with people who are actually mentally, emotionally and physically matured. Plenty of people who visit psychologists on a regular basis are law abiding members of society who simply have emotional issues they need to work on and could use some help with. I don't think any harm will would be done by having sexual predators talk with a counselor on a weekly basis or something like that.
    Most serial killers do not have a mental illness as far as I know.

There is no point talking to someone about criminal behavior, we can't reprogram people. Criminals assess risk vs benefit, if they think benefit outweighs risk they act.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    The only treatment for that is locking him up in gen-pop and letting everyone know he is a paedophile. He will get "treatment".
    Except that he's not a pedophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I disagree. Wanting to have sex with minors is sick. He needs help.
    You heard it here, folks! You're a "sicko" if you want to have sex with someone one day before their 18th birthday, but on their 18th birthday, it's all good. Because arbitrary values are serious business.

Grown men that are attracted to young teens are creepy, disturbing and sick
    So basically every heterosexual man alive. Got it.

Mental disease is only diagnosed when a behavior out of the norm has a negative effect on a persons ability to function in society due to inhibited cognition, change in mood and so on.
    Bingo. Wanting to have sex with teens has a negative effect on person's ability to function in society.
    It does not apply to people who are fully aware of what they are doing is illegal and accept the risks.
    So If a psychopath kills people, but he knows he's a psychopath and he knows it's against the law, then he's no longer sick? Being aware of your deviation, but deciding to act based on those deviations anyway, doesn't make one less sick. The only difference is that you're also fully responsible for your actions in front of the court

edit: You know what, I'm bored. If you ever see people catch a pedofile and call him sick bastard - you go and tell them how he's not sick. I only wish I could see that.
    Last edited by procne; 2017-07-01 at 06:23 PM.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What a sicko. Hopefully we throw the book at him.

What's the max sentence for this deviant?
    Atleast 3.. No, 4 topics from you on MMO-Champion that he has to read.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Bingo. Wanting to have sex with teens has a negative effect on person's ability to function in society.
    Not really.

So If a psychopath kills people, but he knows he's a psychopath and he knows it's against the law, then he's no longer sick? Being aware of your deviation, but deciding to act based on those deviations anyway, doesn't make one less sick. The only difference is that you're also fully responsible for your actions in front of the court
    Psychopathy is not considered a mental illness though. That's also not how psychopathy works, "act based on those deviations"? Do you even know what psychopathy entails? There is no deviation to act on.

Most serial killers do not have a mental illness as far as I know.

There is no point talking to someone about criminal behavior, we can't reprogram people. Criminals assess risk vs benefit, if they think benefit outweighs risk they act.
    I think most serial killers are considered to be at the very least sociopaths. ie "a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience."

edit: You know what, I'm bored. If you ever see people catch a pedofile and call him sick bastard - you go and tell them how he's not sick. I only wish I could see that.
    No, because pedophiles are actually sick, even more so if they act on it. Someone being attracted to and wanting to have sex with a teenager is not a pedophile.

Funny how casual racism is fine as long as it's against white people here on the forum.

- - - Updated - - -

They do set up stings but usually its under the direction of some kind of state wide or federal task force. It isn't just local police deciding to do it by themselves.
    Right, local police forces would never do this on their own. Also, many jurisdictions are far too lenient on sexual crimes and rarely enforce state and federal mandated guidelines regarding sex offenders. I live in a small town which has 400% the national average sex offenders by population. Nothing here is enforced besides the registry. They don't have to live a certain distance from schools and playgrounds or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    Funny how casual racism is fine as long as it's against white people here on the forum.
    With regard to the white trash comments I think its more classism than anything else. White people who think of themselves as being middle or upper class are sort of raised/conditioned to think of themselves as better than poor people. This most likely applies to non white people as well.

Not really.
    Yes really. But I'm pretty sure you still treat "feeling attracted" the same as "wanting to have sex"

Psychopathy is not considered a mental illness though. That's also not how psychopathy works, "act based on those deviations"? Do you even know what psychopathy entails? There is no deviation to act on.
    Lack of or diminished empathy and / or feelings / emotions. Which also implies lack of moral breaks. And because most people do have feelings and empathy they will treat any psychopath as psychically sick, whether it can be treated or not.

Yes really. But I'm pretty sure you still treat "feeling attracted" the same as "wanting to have sex"
    There is absolutely nothing sick about wanting to have sex with someone in their mid-teens.

Lack of or diminished empathy and / or feelings / emotions. Which also implies lack of moral breaks. And because most people do have feelings and empathy they will treat any psychopath as psychically sick, whether it can be treated or not.
    Most psychopaths function perfectly well in society. Many of them are found in boss positions.

- - - Updated - - -

With regard to the white trash comments I think its more classism than anything else. White people who think of themselves as being middle or upper class are sort of raised/conditioned to think of themselves as better than poor people. This most likely applies to non white people as well.
    Someone that's got money is better than poor people. It's not just about what people think of themselves, they are more successful, have a higher social status, make better decisions/choices.

then the skin color wouldn't play a role and isn't needed.

Calling black people black trash would net you an infraction instantly.

Going to her house, likely to have sex with her - a 15 year old - is acting on it. He's a sexual predator of children and needs help.
    Not that I'm against age of consent laws...but your reasoning here seems dubious.

He's a mental case if he wants to have sex with her the day before her 16th birthday...but not the day after?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Someone that's got money is better than poor people. It's not just about what people think of themselves, they are more successful, have a higher social status, make better decisions/choices.
    Except even if you are of that belief it doesn't necessarily mean or make what you consider to be poor people trash . Financial success imo is not a good overall indicator to use when judging how good of a person someone is. I think what it speaks to more than anything is a base human need to feel better than other people. Sometimes money is used, sometimes skin color, sometimes religious belief, sometimes a caste system. It goes on and on and back to the beginning of human civilization. To many families people who are worth less than say $50m would be considered among the poor rabble of society.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    then the skin color wouldn't play a role and isn't needed.

Calling black people black trash would net you an infraction instantly.
    I agree with that. Poor white trash being a saying shouldn't make it ok to use any more than any other terms are which people object to on the basis of race being involved which need not be mentioned.
    Last edited by Berndorf; 2017-07-01 at 06:48 PM.

Except even if you are of that belief it doesn't necessarily mean or make what you consider to be poor people trash . Financial success imo is not a good overall indicator to use when judging how good of a person someone is. I think what it speaks to more than anything is a base human need to feel better than other people. Sometimes money is used, sometimes skin color, sometimes religious belief, sometimes a caste system. It goes on and on and back to the beginning of human civilization. To many families people who are worth less than say $50m would be considered among the poor rabble of society.
    Sure, it doesn't show how good of a person an individual is but it's easy to tell that they, as a group, are more prone to certain behaviors than people who have money based on aggregate data. There's nothing wrong with saying poor people are trash since in most cases they actually are. They make bad decisions/choices, they are less likely to raise their kids to be upstanding citizens(This is a bad choice too to get kids when you're poor and they seem to be getting way more than people who have money too.) and so on.

I've met more trashy poor people than I have met good poor people.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-07-01 at 06:54 PM.

Sure, it doesn't show how good of a person an individual is but it's easy to tell that they, as a group, are more prone to certain behaviors than people who have money based on aggregate data. There's nothing wrong with saying poor people are trash since in most cases they actually are.
    Nothing wrong in your opinion. Your opinion and facts are not the same thing. Maybe some day you'll fully understand and appreciate the difference. I would agree that poor people are more likely to commit crimes and such things but at the same time I would never feel the need to call anyone who belongs to a certain demographic trash much less try to justify it on a message board. That's just me though.