Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Spent an hour wiping on Minstrel's Tale: Ultima Weapon. And loved every minute of it

Donno how constructive this thread will ultimately be but I wanted to make it nonetheless.

I'm a ~12.5/13 year old WoW veteran who used to hardcore raid vanilla (My guild was pushing spider wing naxx when BC came out), and I just finally picked up FFXIV and I'm having a blast with it. I'm level 52 atm, still working through the ARR MSQ, but I decided to give the Minstral's Ballad: Ultima Weapon a run through, since the game told me my ilevel was high enough to do so.

My group wiped probably 7-8 times, and I had an absolute blast the entire time. I felt like it was appropriately challenging while still being very exciting and I felt like I was having an actual impact in the fight with 7 other people. And, ultimately, the only reason we didn't succeed is, after the 7th wipe, one of the healers pulled prematurely and several of the other DPS died early on, and we wiped at about 2% when Ultima Weapon was casting Ultima. This caused the tanks to leave the group.

But I had an absolute blast the entire time. I'm honestly not even sure why. Maybe because it's Final Fantasy. Maybe because playing a Black Mage has been something I've wanted since I first played FF9 and fell in love with Vivi. Maybe it's because the animations look way better, frankly, than WoW's do.

World of Warcraft is like my rock solid bae, who I can always come back to and rely on, while I feel like FFXIV is an exciting side bae that I just discovered for the first time and is giving my rock solid bae a run for his money, causing him to step up his game. I haven't had this much fun in a MMORPG since probably Wrath, when my guild stopped raiding. This actually made me excited to try serious raiding for the first time in WoW in ~6 years.

Overall I'm loving how hard FFXIV is coming for WoW. It just makes WoW pick up its game. And, as a gamer, that's good for all of us. Thanks for reading, I just wanted to fanboy over how much fun I had in the last ~90 minutes of wiping in FFXIV.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2017-07-02 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Donno how constructive this thread will ultimately be but I wanted to make it nonetheless.

I'm a ~12.5/13 year old WoW veteran who used to hardcore raid vanilla (My guild was pushing spider wing naxx when BC came out), and I just finally picked up FFXIV and I'm having a blast with it. I'm level 52 atm, still working through the ARR MSQ, but I decided to give the Minstral's Ballad: Ultima Weapon a run through, since the game told me my ilevel was high enough to do so.

My group wiped probably 7-8 times, and I had an absolute blast the entire time. I felt like it was appropriately challenging while still being very exciting and I felt like I was having an actual impact in the fight with 7 other people. And, ultimately, the only reason we didn't succeed is, after the 7th wipe, one of the healers pulled prematurely and several of the other DPS died early on, and we wiped at about 2% when Ultima Weapon was casting Ultima. This caused the tanks to leave the group.

But I had an absolute blast the entire time. I'm honestly not even sure why. Maybe because it's Final Fantasy. Maybe because playing a Black Mage has been something I've wanted since I first played FF9 and fell in love with Vivi. Maybe it's because the animations look way better, frankly, than WoW's do.

World of Warcraft is like my rock solid bae, who I can always come back to and rely on, while I feel like FFXIV is an exciting side bae that I just discovered for the first time and is giving my rock solid bae a run for his money, causing him to step up his game. I haven't had this much fun in a MMORPG since probably Wrath, when my guild stopped raiding. This actually made me excited to try serious raiding for the first time in WoW in ~6 years.

Overall I'm loving how hard FFXIV is coming for WoW. It just makes WoW pick up its game. And, as a gamer, that's good for all of us. Thanks for reading, I just wanted to fanboy over how much fun I had in the last ~90 minutes of wiping in FFXIV.
    I highly suspect it's because of the change of pace. You do anything for over a decade and you're probably gonna get tired of it. Picking up a new game and trying something different(although in the same general theme) is probably exactly what you needed. For me it's the Dark Souls line of games.

Gratz on being able to handle the slower pace of FFXIV combat, though. That drove me crazy. I was bored out of my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Gratz on being able to handle the slower pace of FFXIV combat, though. That drove me crazy. I was bored out of my mind!
    I feel like it makes every action I do more deliberate and important. When I cancel a spell to move, I legitimately feel like I missed out on maximizing my DPS, something I've never felt in WoW. And when I'm able to dance the dance of avoiding AoE effects while I see other DPS players get hit by them, as selfish as it may sound, I get an immense pleasure out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to the family KrazyK.

I mean not everyone will be as supportive of your experience, I can however understand it. I personally gave FF14 a try halfway though WoD, I only came back to WoW because I felt I owed my guild (which I was the GM) my commitment. Legion launched, still was not happy with the game and decided to go back to 14, have not looked back since.

Interesting comparison, I always compared WoW to my long term lover who is abusive to me in one way or another yet I always come crawling back to them.

While FF14 on the other hand was my friend who let me sleep in their guest room and made me breakfast every morning and never expected anything in return.
    Last edited by Melsiren; 2017-07-02 at 08:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god haven't done that fight in ages. I remember doing it over many groups before finally able to kill it.

Speaking of satisfaction, you should've done Titan HM when it was current content. It's also immensely frustrating since getting hit by one avoidable is death 99% of the time. Whether by plumes or falling off, you're dead,

Interesting comparison, I always compared WoW to my long term lover who is abusive to me in one way or another yet I always come crawling back to them.
    In WoD/Legion, even though Blizzard flew me out as content creator to speak with them in Irvine (Or maybe because of it), I always saw WoW as that family member who you and everybody else knew was a drug addict. At one point they were the greatest person you had ever known, top of their class, an outstanding member of society, and somebody who would give you the shirt off their back if you were in need. But then became addicted to a toxic substance, and now you keep hoping they'll become the great person you once knew, but they have some work to do before that happens.

Here's hoping as FFXIV becomes more popular, Blizzard puts effort into WoW again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Oh god haven't done that fight in ages. I remember doing it over many groups before finally able to kill it.

Speaking of satisfaction, you should've done Titan HM when it was current content. It's also immensely frustrating since getting hit by one avoidable is death 99% of the time. Whether by plumes or falling off, you're dead,
    I swear to god when I was doing his fight on Hard the mechanic wasn't working right. At first I stood on the edge of the red/normal floor when he did his knock back, and then fell to my death. Then I figured, "Well I should stand on the red part, right?" and the same thing happened. And then on my third attempt did the same as my original attempt, and died again. I'm not sure if I was TOO close to the edge, but literally every time I died trying to do that fight.

Haha and I have zero desire to do it on Extreme.

10+ Year Old Account
    I swear to god when I was doing his fight on Hard the mechanic wasn't working right. At first I stood on the edge of the red/normal floor when he did his knock back, and then fell to my death. Then I figured, "Well I should stand on the red part, right?" and the same thing happened. And then on my third attempt did the same as my original attempt, and died again. I'm not sure if I was TOO close to the edge, but literally every time I died trying to do that fight.

Haha and I have zero desire to do it on Extreme.
    Extreme mode is worse. People were wiping three raid patches in still.
    So the phase changes for each jump is you go to the edge to receive less damage, but getting extremely too close you may end up going off because the part that gets destroyed is slightly more than the marked red. It's very small but if you were extremely close to the edge you'd get clipped off.

Extreme mode is worse. People were wiping three raid patches in still.
    So the phase changes for each jump is you go to the edge to receive less damage, but getting extremely too close you may end up going off because the part that gets destroyed is slightly more than the marked red. It's very small but if you were extremely close to the edge you'd get clipped off.
    Goddammit, then that's what happened! I was absolutely furious because I died at like 80% every time and always wanted to participate in the fights but never could!

Well glad to know other players had the same troubles as I did :P

Deleted
    reading your post makes me want to come back to FFXIV on my WHM as im struggling to find a raiding guild on my 903 ilvl resto shammy to raid again.
    my WHM is currently lvl 60 as i havnt bought stormblood yet, but i think i will in the next week or so.
    thanks for sparking my interest again, i had almost forgotten how much fun the game is/was

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer eccles View Post
    reading your post makes me want to come back to FFXIV on my WHM as im struggling to find a raiding guild on my 903 ilvl resto shammy to raid again.
    my WHM is currently lvl 60 as i havnt bought stormblood yet, but i think i will in the next week or so.
    thanks for sparking my interest again, i had almost forgotten how much fun the game is/was
    Haha sure thing! I had a giftcard to Gamestop from last Christmas for 30 bucks, so I ended up only paying ~15 for Stormblood, which included Heavensward since I didn't have it. It was a great deal.

I'm having a blast so far. The 1-50 was kind of slow, but once I hit the main story threads, I was fully invested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Goddammit, then that's what happened! I was absolutely furious because I died at like 80% every time and always wanted to participate in the fights but never could!

Well glad to know other players had the same troubles as I did :P
    Yeah... when a lot of us were all new to it we kind of figured that out. Most people don't actually hug the edge that much but people eventually found out that it's a bad idea. Plus not much damage difference once you're out of the basic hit box of Titan.

Yeah... when a lot of us were all new to it we kind of figured that out. Most people don't actually hug the edge that much but people eventually found out that it's a bad idea. Plus not much damage difference once you're out of the basic hit box of Titan.
    I'm honestly having an amazing time with the game so far.

However if I had the option to choose whatever I want, it would be to let me do some of the MSQ dungeons on my own as a highly skilled challenge rather than having to wait for 3 other people. Namely because I primarily play at late night (11pm-5am) due to RL constrictions, and it takes me forever to find groups for anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's also refreshing that in 14 people aren't babbling about Warcraft.

I remember that being a constant annoyance in nearly every post-WoW mmo, especially in starter zones.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

I feel like it makes every action I do more deliberate and important. When I cancel a spell to move, I legitimately feel like I missed out on maximizing my DPS, something I've never felt in WoW. And when I'm able to dance the dance of avoiding AoE effects while I see other DPS players get hit by them, as selfish as it may sound, I get an immense pleasure out of it.
    I get a similar feeling when I play well in Darksouls. Honestly, after playing a game that has so much personal skill involved, I'm not entirely sure I'll ever be able to fully enjoy a stat-heavy RPG again. There's just something immensely satisfying about knowing that it was ME that beat the game; MY ability to play the game and not the stats on my gear that carried me to victory.

That's something WoW is sorely missing right now. And I'd be curious to know if the higher-end FFXIV content or classes has any element of this. Because I've always really wanted to like FFXIV. It looks like a gorgeous game, and I'm a longtime fan of Final Fantasy in general. I just couldn't get past the first 20 levels or so before being bored out of my sanity.

the music probably helps, theres always folks that would just turn it off or say 'but i need to hear my raid team' but boss fight music is something really lacking in WoW, which usually up to warlords at least in my experience was usually up there with mmo soundtracks, but in instances? i played from vanilla to warlords and can't remember a single music track for a dungeon because its just ambience. Its a weird dichotomy where your standing out in a field music is more memorable and exciting than your 'sieging that giant keep on the hill infested with worgen/undead'. But god knows everyone remembers elwynn forest, eversong woods or grizzly hills to some extent even years after the fact.

For comparison:

-though of course when it comes to memorable boss fight music FF has kind of had that content unbalanced in their favour since the late 80's
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2017-07-02 at 03:59 PM.

Yeah, I felt the same way about Rift. It was a blatant WoW clone, but it still felt like a breath of fresh air due to having new specs and spells and dungeons to play around in. Sadly, that game went to shit after the 1st expansion due to going f2p and stuffing the game full of pay2win and RNG-microtransactions.

I'd kill to play vanilla Rift again.

I'm honestly having an amazing time with the game so far.

However if I had the option to choose whatever I want, it would be to let me do some of the MSQ dungeons on my own as a highly skilled challenge rather than having to wait for 3 other people. Namely because I primarily play at late night (11pm-5am) due to RL constrictions, and it takes me forever to find groups for anything.
    Have you tried putting a group up on the Party Finder rather than sit in the queue for DF groups?

Sorry if you have. I found when going through mine that I had better luck putting up a group and mentioning the first time bonus would get people in pretty quick for stuff.

I had the same thing happen to me. Something about FF14 bosses just feel way more exciting than anything WoW's done in the last few xpacs.

This is essentially why I let my WoW sub lapse for the first time in...god, maybe over a decade? I can't even remember how long.

After finding my main this expansion in Red Mage, I have fun simply doing anything in the game. It's not even so much of a new thing because I've been playing it for a good few years now; the slower and more active combat combined with satisfying animations and a truly fleshed-out game that defied the "MMOs can't have good stories" excuse and establishes a world that in a few years of lifetime already feels more engaging than WoW's ever did, I can't go back. There's a feeling of excitement and fun in the encounters in this game, they make every single trial an experience rather than a simple raid boss.

And man, if you're only 52 I can't wait until you get to the higher up primals. They really step their game up at the end of Heavensward and the new Stormblood trial. No spoilers, but the most recent one makes the epicness of Ultima look like a kindergarten playground, as much as I love that fight.

Great news: pretty much everything will continue to get better (the story and BLM in particular) as you continue along. My opinion, of course.