View Poll Results: The New Chip Credit Cards have you made the switch?

Voters
87. This poll is closed
  • No, and they'll have to pry the one I have from my cold dead...

3 3.45%
  • Yeah, I F'd Up

9 10.34%
  • Yes, I like it feels more secure.

73 83.91%
  • No. But I feel it coming (Cry)

2 2.30%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It always amazes me that US is so far behind in card security and overall technology (on macro level, I know some individual locations are adapting them faster). Unexpected bit of culture shock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    There's no way he must just be slow here in Canada we have had them for like 10 years there are more chip cards then non chip cards there is no way the US is just doing this now
    We got the chips ~2 years ago no stores had the tech til then
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    It always amazes me that US is so far behind in card security and overall technology (on macro level, I know some individual locations are adapting them faster). Unexpected bit of culture shock.
    The store I work at has chip enabled readers but chooses not to activate them, and our customers love us for it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenora View Post
    Yup.

They are common in the UK.

Both my debit and my credit card are RFID cards.
    I dont think you can even get a debit card in the UK that isn't RFID anymore? At least I haven't seen one for ages. I've had my contactless card for 4 or so years now I think, it's hardly new technology at this point [emoji14]

Rumor is that stealing credit card numbers is incredibly easy with chip cards, you can walk around the mall with a homemade device and take home thousands of numbers. Now they wont be able to make physical cards, but they can still do wonders on the internet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    I dont think you can even get a debit card in the UK that isn't RFID anymore? At least I haven't seen one for ages. I've had my contactless card for 4 or so years now I think, it's hardly new technology at this point [emoji14]
    My brother's isn't RFID and he banks at the same bank I do.

He tried "losing" his card and the bank still haven't issued him an RFID one :P

I take it you're talking about a contactless chip (NFC or RFID typically) versus the old magnetic stripe?

I'm not sure which part you don't like. Is it the security or the physical action of swiping the card?

Over here if you swipe a card with a magnetic strip (or insert it into the reader) you have to enter a PIN regardless of the amount of the transaction. But contactless cards generally don't require a PIN for any transaction under $100. That's the only real difference.

But if this is credit cards we're talking about, there is zero security on those things anyway because you can sign for them. If someone has your card, they have your money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Rumor is that stealing credit card numbers is incredibly easy with chip cards, you can walk around the mall with a homemade device and take home thousands of numbers. Now they wont be able to make physical cards, but they can still do wonders on the internet.
    That's no different to the usual tactic of going through bins looking for receipts or whatever it was they did. Or getting the numbers online which is how it mostly happens today.

Again, this is a flaw in credit cards, not contactless. PIN should be mandatory everywhere, but it isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    I worked in the credit card industry here in Australia, it's not your imagination, we'd attend talks on the state of the industry internationally and how backwards the US is was (vs. Australia, the UK, Europe, Asia etc) a common topic of conversation. It's a big country, the relationships within the industry bodies are complex and the society is very resistant to change.

I mean shit, they still use the Imperial system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Yeah, it just seems like it creates that awkward moment where you are all done, and the clerk is done, and line is sort of ready to proceed, but the machine isn't quite ready yet.
    Those must be some ancient machines or some terrible setup... I've never heard of something like that. A card swipe should be virtually instant. No reason it should take longer than the barcode you swipe on your actual shopping.

Unless that's how slow the network is contacting the bank for authorisation. But if that's the case then it'll be the same no matter which tech you use - swipe, mag stripe, you name it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I take it you're talking about a contactless chip (NFC or RFID typically) versus the old magnetic stripe?

I'm not sure which part you don't like. Is it the security or the physical action of swiping the card?

Over here if you swipe a card with a magnetic strip (or insert it into the reader) you have to enter a PIN regardless of the amount of the transaction. But contactless cards generally don't require a PIN for any transaction under $100. That's the only real difference.

But if this is credit cards we're talking about, there is zero security on those things anyway because you can sign for them. If someone has your card, they have your money.

- - - Updated - - -

That's no different to the usual tactic of going through bins looking for receipts or whatever it was they did. Or getting the numbers online which is how it mostly happens today.

Again, this is a flaw in credit cards, not contactless. PIN should be mandatory everywhere, but it isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

I worked in the credit card industry here in Australia, it's not your imagination, we'd attend talks on the state of the industry internationally and how backwards the US is was (vs. Australia, the UK, Europe, Asia etc) a common topic of conversation. It's a big country, the relationships within the industry bodies are complex and the society is very resistant to change.

I mean shit, they still use the Imperial system.

- - - Updated - - -

Those must be some ancient machines or some terrible setup... I've never heard of something like that. A card swipe should be virtually instant. No reason it should take longer than the barcode you swipe on your actual shopping.

Unless that's how slow the network is contacting the bank for authorisation. But if that's the case then it'll be the same no matter which tech you use - swipe, mag stripe, you name it.
    I was talking about the chip, not the swipe. You have to wait that bit where it instantly updates the bank, instead of the swipe that updates later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Most of the places here have the chip reader disabled so you can just swipe it anyway.
    There are new cards that have a digital CVV number that changes every hour.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Cyberpunk/c...security_code/

This is actually what I thought the thread was going to be about to begin with. Had me a little confused with the word chip... Honestly can't wait till this comes into play in Canada also.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I was talking about the chip, not the swipe. You have to wait that bit where it instantly updates the bank, instead of the swipe that updates later.
    IIRC there's two separate things - the authentication and the data transfer that happens at the end of the day. The authentication part should be the same no matter which verification method you use, it's still sending the same data whether it's from the mag stripe or the chip.

But I don't know how the system has been set up in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    My student ID is a contactless card in some situations. I think you'll be fine
    Just preface all my posts with "Well, I didn't read the thread, but..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi
    You don't need to see any identification.
    This isn't the user you're looking for.
    Move along.
    Fixed a bug allowing Reaper to Shadow Step to unintended locations
    Minor text fixes

Well, It's a good thing your name isn't Data Security.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chips on cards are almost mandatory these days. A good 0.5% of magnetic swipes are fake skimmers these days. That might not seem like much, but that means theres a 1 in 200 chance you use your card that it'll get stolen. How many times do you use your card a month, a year?

In the recent past, I've had my card skimmed twice, and I've found skimmers twice. That's four times in a period of about 7 months. If you don't have a chip and using a code, you're basically just playing russian roulette.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Swiping a card is about the same as giving a photocopy of your card with everything needed to make more payments from it, why would you even want to give that to any seller? At least the chip is secure, and it's not just an impression. Only had chip cards for about 20 years now, if a machine asks me to swipe I'll just cancel and use cash instead, even if I have to go to nearest ATM. No way you'll get that information from me willingly.

But most of the time paywave now. So much better than both of those outdated technologies (except for big payments, then chip).
    We can use tap and go for big purchases. It juat asks for your pin after you tap before payment is made. Anything under $100 is juat the tap. No insertion required.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can make a wire transaction from my phone... cards, chips? who cares.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    If im at a gas pump or any PoS system I always yank on the card insert to double check. I've got skimmed once and so did my brother.
    Yep. I check each one I'm at now, since the last one I got skimmed at was a gas station. I can't check at fast food places, or anywhere I have to give my card to someone, and I know it's a gamble, but I can't do much else at those place,s and its not worth simply 'not going there'
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Yep. I check each one I'm at now, since the last one I got skimmed at was a gas station. I can't check at fast food places, or anywhere I have to give my card to someone, and I know it's a gamble, but I can't do much else at those place,s and its not worth simply 'not going there'
    You can always have some cash for such small purchases.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    You can always have some cash for such small purchases.
    While true... I don't carry cash, ever. If someone gives me a tip, I usually hold onto it for a month or two because it's more of a hassle to spend.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    What kind of place does that? Never saw one, I'd find it incredibly suspicious if anyone asked to take my card away from me (I traveled through many countries, never had that)
    Any drive through?

Deleted
    How are you getting that "new" just now lol. In Romania, my cards have had a chip since like 10 years ago lol. And for quite some time we're also using paywave, so no swiping and whatnot, just the pin required if the transaction is over 25$ or something. Swiping also wears out your card.

15+ Year Old Account
    Chip? New?

lol?

They have been used here since the early 2000's. Maybe like 2003, I remember working in a grocery store when the new devices came.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.