Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    There was indeed an ambience of a few elite players strutting around and a bunch of players aspiring to match them eventually. Probably how the whole celebrity culture is in the US. People have wised up and are less interested in artificial barriers though. I had fun being a raider back then but I dont think thatd work again.

Deleted
    In any culture there's the "feeling important" or "belonging " factor that's most important. That used to be clearing the end content. Which today is so easy no1 gives a shit anymore. And there in lies the end of all games.

1. People want to feel achieved and gain rep.
    2. People qq when they can't beat all the content without effort.
    3. 1 and 2 can't coexist

Quote Originally Posted by TheVaryag View Post
    You silly goose, prestige, owning Items that others can't have and get anymore... that's half the reason veteran players are still around cause they feel attatched to those memories, characters and Items.

I still cherish these items of prestige: Quel'serrar (The original one, not the one dropping from Onyxia for casuals), the Purple Dress from Darkmaster Gandling (Doesn't drop anymore since It's remastering for an MoP dungeon), Priest Staff Benediction (From priest class quest In Vanilla), various other pieces of armor unobtainable now, the Shoulderpads and Gauntlets from the Pre-TBC dark portal event that resemble the Paladin Judgement Armorset but with a different colour and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting, I'm pretty sure I have that Argent Dawn tabard that lets out a holy nova and makes you flex for example.

But... guess what happened, Blizzard thought It'd be a good Idea to ban my main account for hacking myself, that's right, that's the given reason by Customer Support. I suppose clinging to Prestigious items and being a loyal wow player for 12 years gets you bloody nothing after all. In all seriousness though, I was hacked for a few months without my knowledge, blizzard sees something fishy going on, ban the account, then I come In like "Hey I noticed something's wrong, I'm In control now gimme account back please" and they said "We don't see evidence of any hacking, you hacked yourself mate" Is basically how It went and that was 2 years ago...

But yeah, If It weren't for Customer Support-EU being complete and total assbumpers I'd be playing on my main account and probably enjoying Legion much much more, probably being -the- word here.

Butt.. I digress, I don't think your.. idea of prestige levels Is a sound Idea, but prestige Items that are available for some time and then blizzard cuts them off -is- a good Idea, and It better be hard to get those Items, or else everyone and their mother will be running around with the same "Prestigious" Items.
    You know one of these days you're finally going to admit you fucked up and you're to blame for your errors. Not some boogie man who has all the information they need on their servers to make a decision with.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Writers, musicians, creators in the larger sense impress me. The quality of the people I know impresses me. Intelligence, adherence to principles and honesty with which they confront the world impresses me.

I enjoy video games. I play a bunch of them and always have. I'm not overly impressed by people who can play video games well--good for them but how someone else plays is not really my concern--and I'm not in the least impressed with people who are so narcissistic that they think that their hand-eye co-ordination and ability to move a mouse and push buttons in a video game entitles them to some greater place in the universe than anyone else.

World of Warcraft is an entertainment. And it's a successful one as the years have shown. It's not a life test. I'm well aware that there are better players. There are worse ones too. I play PVE because it's mostly a co-operative environment.

I could not care less for those who insist on turning everything into some personal competition designed to make them feel good about themselves. And in the end, that last is exactly how "prestige" works out in an environment like this.

Like I said, be happy with your personal game, care less (or nothing at all) about others. All the rest is patent demeaning bullshit. It has nothing to do with bitterness and says more about you that you even brought it up than it does about me.
    My sentiment exactly. Play how you like, enjoy the rewards you get. ''Prestige'' is meaningless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    My sentiment exactly. Play how you like, enjoy the rewards you get. ''Prestige'' is meaningless.
    Prestige is why people play in a lot of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Wat? Even when I was a Hardcore Raider in WoW's Early years my Character ended up looking like a Clown 90% of the time since gear with good stats was often mismatched.

Always reminds me of this picture.

LMAO...WTF? Bless his heart.

Yet another thread that imagines people don't like the game because the top few percent aren't as happy.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Souflikar View Post
    LMAO...WTF? Bless his heart.
    Dude, that is some GOOOD gear. TBC was hilarious

Deleted
    Hey, a little bit of a backstory, I'm usually a lurker, and i enjoy reading threads, but every once in a while a thread will come that will make my blood boil.

I've been playing WoW ever since release date, and frankly the whole concept of "Prestige" has always been there (Insert stupid joke about PVP Prestige, shut up!). There were times when I would look at a player and think to myself how amazing he looks simply because of gear that was difficult to obtain. That SAME feeling is today when I see someone on the Gul'Dan mount Mythic. Or someone rocking a full 925 set prior to Tomb. WoW has become more casual friendly, but that does not mean that bosses are made for casuals. Right now, its been 4 days and ToS Mythic still hasnt been defeated (nothing compared to C'thun but hey, whatever).

I'm in the middle of my exams, so I can't vent completely, but what im trying to say is :

Click on Ops signature, go to his armory link and WITNESS how hardcore he is. This is not me flaming him, this is me point out that he has done normal, no heroic no mythic. He also has not even attempted ToS.

tl;dr Op, please don't speak from the point of view of ALL players, some of us find prestige in the game, The Insane title is one of my prestigious acquisitions. The fact that you are unwilling to commit to get said prestige is not our problem, nor is it our fault that you are casual who is refusing to do the grind.

As someone earlier said, making a new thread to post your old one? Weak.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Yet another thread that imagines people don't like the game because the top few percent aren't as happy.
    No, i said EVERYONE would have a quest for prestige.

In fact im saying the oposite. I'm saying STOP giving only prestige to the top 1% and give prestige to all groups by adding something like this:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-New-Tier-Sets

Writers, musicians, creators in the larger sense impress me. The quality of the people I know impresses me. Intelligence, adherence to principles and honesty with which they confront the world impresses me.

I enjoy video games. I play a bunch of them and always have. I'm not overly impressed by people who can play video games well--good for them but how someone else plays is not really my concern--and I'm not in the least impressed with people who are so narcissistic that they think that their hand-eye co-ordination and ability to move a mouse and push buttons in a video game entitles them to some greater place in the universe than anyone else.

World of Warcraft is an entertainment. And it's a successful one as the years have shown. It's not a life test. I'm well aware that there are better players. There are worse ones too. I play PVE because it's mostly a co-operative environment.

I could not care less for those who insist on turning everything into some personal competition designed to make them feel good about themselves. And in the end, that last is exactly how "prestige" works out in an environment like this.

Like I said, be happy with your personal game, care less (or nothing at all) about others. All the rest is patent demeaning bullshit. It has nothing to do with bitterness and says more about you that you even brought it up than it does about me.
    Little hypocritical to say you are impressed by musicians for having good timing and hand-eye coordination but you're not impressed by gamers for the same. Lot of this probably comes from the stigma of "oh it's a video game, who cares?" Personal preference also comes into play.
    The thing is, it's okay if you don't care about those things. For instance, I couldn't care less about baseball players and who hit a homerun or someone that runs a marathon. Even so, I can still reflect on and admire the type of skill and dedication those people put into developing their craft.
    Your post conveys that everyone who competes in peewee hockey should also get the Stanley Cup, or that someone who wants to play the guitar like Joe Satriani shouldn't even be concerned with how he does what he does. It's good to be focused on yourself and get your own enjoyment out of things, but don't try to downplay the time and skill it takes to achieve certain things just because it's not the social norm and/or you personally don't buy into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Little hypocritical to say you are impressed by musicians for having good timing and hand-eye coordination but you're not impressed by gamers for the same.
    Just for clarity people who write music are musicians as well. As for Peewee Hockey? That's a very serious stretch. There are lots of people, who once they hear a Joe Satriani song or something by Steve Vai, can figure out how to replicate it. That's nothing like creating something like 'Surfing with the Alien' or 'For the Love of God' out of basically nothing but the material between your ears. A Mozart concerto is a thing like no other and unique to his art. Hundreds of people over the years have learned to play them and good for them. They're all impressive but for me, none of them have done anything even remotely as impressive as creating the concerto that Mozart originally did.

There's no hypocrisy here. We're all impressed by different things and that's OK.

Creating actual game systems for social play that rely on prestige as a driver are going to be more harmful than anything else simply because they lean toward exclusivity rather than being inclusive. As someone earlier said, if everyone has prestige, then no one has prestige.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-07-03 at 02:59 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Creating actual game systems for social play that rely on prestige as a driver are going to be more harmful than anything else simply because they lean toward exclusivity rather than being inclusive. As someone earlier said, if everyone has prestige, then no one has prestige.
    There you are, afraid again that LFR had it's fun. Why?

Stop hitting LFR in the face. Why cant they have a epic quest?

Prestige for everyone! Every level.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoodchild View Post
    Funnily enough, the thing I get whispered about the most is Tyrael's Charger. And it's only worth noticing because the only way to get it was to literally play the game for a year at the right time, nothing "prestigious" about that but many people don't have it.

And I could care less if no one ever whispers me about it again. I ride it sometimes for my own enjoyment, not for other's envy.
    Guess what. Your enjoyment comes from the item being rare.

Just for clarity people who write music are musicians as well. As for Peewee Hockey? That's a very serious stretch. There are lots of people, who once they hear a Joe Satriani song or something by Steve Vai, can figure out how to replicate it. That's nothing like creating something like 'Surfing with the Alien' or 'For the Love of God' out of basically nothing but the material between your ears. A Mozart concerto is a thing like no other and unique to his art. Hundreds of people over the years have learned to play them and good for them. They're all impressive but for me, none of them have done anything even remotely as impressive as creating the concerto that Mozart originally did.

There's no hypocrisy here. We're all impressed by different things and that's OK.

And some of those people who play the music aren't even the writers of it, but instead have things written for them they learn to play.
    You're now also comparing things between creation and being able to play, which your last post did not convey well, but then go on to say you are impressed by people who can replicate these things thru having the same hand/eye coordination and skill, yet not impressed due to people playing a game. This comes down to hypocrisy or to preference, and telling people that they shouldn't be impressed by it is equivalent to telling someone not to like something.
    You are correct in thinking that it can harm the game from exclusivity, but at the same time it can have just as much benefit. Some exclusivity is never a bad thing, otherwise we wouldn't have things like leader brackets for PVP, world 1st races in mythic, m+ rankings. People wouldn't take joy out of being the best and others wouldn't have reason to strive to be better. We would have a world full of mediocrity and people being content to be subpar. Nothing we did would matter in the slightest. In a game with no exclusivity we would all be raiding LFR and wearing the exact same gear, ilvl, and no choices as to what we do. It would be meaningless.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you had to "look cool" you were under-performing most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Wat? Even when I was a Hardcore Raider in WoW's Early years my Character ended up looking like a Clown 90% of the time since gear with good stats was often mismatched.

Always reminds me of this picture.
    This guy gets it
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    You are correct in thinking that it can harm the game from exclusivity, but at the same time it can have just as much benefit. Some exclusivity is never a bad thing, otherwise we wouldn't have things like leader brackets for PVP, world 1st races in mythic, m+ rankings. People wouldn't take joy out of being the best and others wouldn't have reason to strive to be better. We would have a world full of mediocrity and people being content to be subpar. Nothing we did would matter in the slightest. In a game with no exclusivity we would all be raiding LFR and wearing the exact same gear, ilvl, and no choices as to what we do. It would be meaningless.
    You understand me.
    I'm happy someone understands me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    and wearing the new mythic set, riding the new mythic mount
    doesent exist anymore? i didnt know that
    alo really? just creating another thread to advertise one of your old threads? this shouldent be allowed right?

"hey guys i am just gunna make the thread i made before and link theo ld one
    I had at least 5 mages ask me how did i beat Chromie challenge on day one or two of release, so yeah, that kind of thing still exists, but it's purely because of transmog - without it i wouldn't be able to brag with my new challenge mode tier set

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Didn't you only really start in WoTLK/Cata or somewhere close to that?

But also, no. Prestige is still in the game. And the whole "this dude on the IF bridge looks cool AF, better inspect him! OMG I want to BE him!!!" is massively overblown by people that think they were the shit for having BoE epics or doing a couple MC bosses.
    I would think that 14 years old would say something like that. And most people who started playing in Vanilla (and talk about "good old times") actually were somewhat this age

Quote Originally Posted by Sigxy the Lemming View Post
    I mean... only great players will collect the full Mythic Raid gear, still.
    Only lucky ones will collect full mythic raid gear tho, it's still up to RNG if you'll get certain items or not
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2017-07-03 at 04:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was new to WoW in early TBC, I thought that any gear I hadn't worn/seen before was really cool, and I think it still is for newer players. But nowadays there are way more veterans who have seen it all than there are new players, when it was the opposite in WoW's early years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alewyn View Post
    When I was new to WoW in early TBC, I thought that any gear I hadn't worn/seen before was really cool, and I think it still is for newer players. But nowadays there are way more veterans who have seen it all than there are new players, when it was the opposite in WoW's early years.
    True, true.