View Poll Results: The New Chip Credit Cards have you made the switch?

Voters
87. This poll is closed
  • No, and they'll have to pry the one I have from my cold dead...

3 3.45%
  • Yeah, I F'd Up

9 10.34%
  • Yes, I like it feels more secure.

73 83.91%
  • No. But I feel it coming (Cry)

2 2.30%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here in Canada the chip is old tech. We don't even have to swipe, we simply tap our cards on the machine and we're good to go via NFC. For transactions under $100 at least.

You uh, you don't really get to throw your hands up about proper credit card security. Last on the boat and throwing a fit.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Is this America? Are you seriously only getting these chips now?
    I thought they came out like 5 years ago for general use. I've been "Pay waving" for years now.

Also - if you are paranoid, you can get shielded wallets to stop people skimming your cards.
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2017-07-03 at 08:09 AM.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Also - if you are paranoid, you can get shielded wallets to stop people skimming your cards.
    Shielded wallets won't do much for magnetic skimmers.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Shielded wallets won't do much for magnetic skimmers.
    Was referring to chip skimmers.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Was referring to chip skimmers.
    Most chip skimmers are physical devices that you put your card into, not the RFID close-range skimmer. A shielded wallet won't help there. You still have to take your card out, and interact with something.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

not the RFID close-range skimmer. A shielded wallet won't help there.
    I was referring to having your card details captured WHILST in wallet, it is highly unlikely that someone will scan your card by inserting it into a device WHILST it is in your wallet

Remember - 99.9% of the time, your card is in your wallet, the other 0.1% of your time I figure it is up to you to protect it.

As I said - the shielded wallet stops this happening, for the 99.9% of the time it is in your wallet.

At first it was a bit annoying as it would take fucking forever for the machines to read it, but now at most places it is almost as fast as swiping it... yeah ALMOST.

I fucking hate these goddamned chip cards too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chips on cards are almost mandatory these days. A good 0.5% of magnetic swipes are fake skimmers these days. That might not seem like much, but that means theres a 1 in 200 chance you use your card that it'll get stolen. How many times do you use your card a month, a year?

In the recent past, I've had my card skimmed twice, and I've found skimmers twice. That's four times in a period of about 7 months. If you don't have a chip and using a code, you're basically just playing russian roulette.

Pretty routine the same places but all the time every day. Always places I'm familiar with.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    The "tap and go" system has been in use in Finland for a couple years as well. Although, it's more like "hold next to the reader for a while and go" rather than "tap". We can pay purchases up to 25€ with that, and anything above requires inserting the card into the chip reader and punching in the pin. But yeah...I can't even remember when we got the chips, that's how old of a technology it is. Originally our bank cards could actually hold some credit in the chip. Don't know if that feature was removed though, but that was years ago.

The US is so far behind in using the chip. The rest of the world has been doing it for a while now. It is a little slower than just swiping but many places still have swipe as the only option.

Is this a joke? I got my first visa card like 10 years ago, and I clearly remember stores back then only accepting the chip.

Quote Originally Posted by uxzuigal View Post
    We've had these cards in Norway for about 4-5 years now, they are a blessing. You cannot even use magnetic stripe many places here.
    Read above. I have no idea when they were first introduced, but they have been standard for waaaay longer than 5 years. As I said above, I got mine 10 years ago, and since then, the only place I have ever seen that accepts the magnetic strip, is at the gas station where my workplace has a special deal that allows the employees to refuel our (work)cars using said card (paid by our employer).

If we are talking about standard debit cards for personal use, I don't remember ever seeing a store that accepted the magnetic strip, although I haven't really tried using it for 9 years either, so there might be some out there My point is that the chip has been the go-to standard for more than 10 years.
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2017-07-03 at 11:20 AM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Trying to scan cards in wallet is really not effective, that's really not something you should be afraid of,
    I'm not afraid of it... why would you think that ? I don't even have one of them.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to 2005 OP!

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    Your like 10 years too for the whole chips are evil nonsense how is it any more annoying then swiping with chip cards you can simply wave the card over the read and it reads.

Cause we don't get to wave it over it. Now we have to enter the card into the reader and wait.

I like to piss everyone off in the bank, by going up to the cashier and withdrawing cash from them instead of using a "hole in the wall".. I just say "Well if i didn't pester you, you'd be out of a job".. Then i like to pay for everything in shops with cash as it keeps the cashier in a job there instead of these new "self scan tils" (or as i like to call them, "lazy shop owner tills")

Plus there is a lot more theft going on with the contactless cards and i don't give my cash to no one unless i have goods to show for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Yeah was surprised to hear that too, but in the US it's just really starting now. Even more strange coming from France where all cards had chip even back in the 90s.

- - - Updated - - -
    1 Lots of people here are confused which chip we are talking about.

2 There is no way a card has that chip in 1990.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    What? you still had to enter information with an old stripe card weather it be a pin or signing and with "paywave" or other tap to pay systems you enter nothing all you do is wave the chip/card over the machine and go.
    Old system = swipe and hit yes for agreeing

new system enter card, enter amount for cash back, approve purchase, enter pin, take card.

The chip is already out-dated with the new non-touch scan or whatever it's called.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    The chip is by far the fastest. Tap it and you're done. No messing around with decaying magnetic strips or malfunctioning machines. No PIN to type in. It's so simple I'm surprised you guys are just getting this now. The only thing that's going to be faster is that Amazon auto-pay thing, and that's still a couple years off.

I'm pretty sure we have different chips as none of what you said is true here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Sounds like heaven for thieves. Just mug people and go swipe their cards around.

I could call and within 10 minutes of being mugged have my card disabled.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    If I was a store owner, I wouldn't allow that way to pay You may be safe, but then it would be me who loses the stuff the thieves get to swipe before caught, if they are at all.

As a store owner in America it would be illegal for you to deny legal tender.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    I predict the next thread by "Mall Security" will be "how do you feel about kids on your lawn?"
    How do you feel about the new fad called wireless internet? X)