Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Simple math says that if every couple only has 1 child then we're going to run out of people. Did you even think this through?
    I'm not sure you read what I posted. Here it is again:

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    The whole planet should have a one child per one person policy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    One child per couple, if neither party of said couple ever becomes a part of another couple and then has more children, will lead to population loss
    So...yeah. One child per one person. Not one child per couple. To be suspended as required, and flex where needed.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who's fault it is, is irrelevant.
    Aw... I kind liked those goalposts where they were.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhh, you're the one shifting goalposts.
    You said they didn't force abortions. You were proven wrong.
    Aw... now it's selective bolding, here the relevant bit: "Wrong. Government didn't force abortions, government forced "not getting pregnant". Women who failed that - abortions are on them."
    The full quote - it matters.
    I never moved a single goal post. I am always consistent.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

If I learned one thing about China is that they probably bigger pieces of shit than most countries(including the US) and to take everything they say with lots of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    If I learned one thing about China is that they probably bigger pieces of shit than most countries(including the US) and to take everything they say with lots of salt.
    Luckily the internet is self-sufficient on the latter.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    TIL - Governments enacting measures to reduce the damage of overpopulation within their countries are "pieces of shit"

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    Data shows that China, specifically the workforce, gained a net quality of life benefit from the One Child Policy. In the West, this policy garnered heavy criticism and outrage over moral and ethical claims.

I'm curious what your thoughts are on the common wealth vs ethical/moral claims?
    The one child policy has not increased wealth in China, the net increase in quality of life is the result of China becoming more capitalistic in nature. They have also done massive stimulus in order to do this as well as other economic measures. The one child policy is an abysmal failure which is why they have walked it back slowly but surely, you now have a huge population imbalance in terms of males and females which will result in an even larger male elderly population. The implementation of the policy was not well thought out and will continue to contribute to major economic problems for China especially in farm areas where there are practically no young women.

It's pretty ironic how you try to make a conversation on ethics while putting forward biased assumptions as the basis of the argument.
    The one child policy wasn't a big success and it's implementation was by no means the best approach they could take.
    Last edited by HumbleDuck; 2017-07-03 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    TIL - Governments enacting measures to reduce the damage of overpopulation within their countries are "pieces of shit"
    I kinda like liberal democracies, so I'm not fond of policies that require a heavy dosis of authoritarianism. But if its too controversial, whats happening in Hobg Kong is another example of its shittines.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    It's pretty ironic how you try to make a conversation on ethics while putting forward biased assumptions as the basis of the argument.
    The one child policy wasn't a big success and it's implementation was by no means the best approach they could take.
    With regards to the bolded part, how did you come to that conclusion?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Fixed for not a human rights issue.
    It is a human rights issue for the untold number of abandoned to die female babies.

What once was a noble idea suddenly caused families especially on the rural side of the country to start preferring boys over girls. From their any girl unless you had the money was to be given up for adoption to foreigners. The result was that baby boys became coddled and in some cases overweight out of the direct and only attention from the family added with the privilge of being a male. Also they have a female shortage so theirs the consequence of such policy. So to me a policy like this is terrible and would have been much more effective if they taught safe sex, abstinence and promoted condoms and birth control pills. Heck they could've allowed for abortion clinics if they felt the need to do so. So for me ethically education would be the best tool for controlling population growth in China.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    It is a human rights issue for the untold number of abandoned to die female babies.
    No it is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taso View Post
    What once was a noble idea suddenly caused families especially on the rural side of the country to start preferring boys over girls.
    Wrong. It's part of their culture from long before any policies. There's synergy between the two, but neither caused the other.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Yes we know that you can spin anything to make it sounds less bad.

For example the holocaust was really just saving all of the potential child abuse victims that may have potentially come from the populations that were brutally murdered.

Are you in favor of child abuse? For shame.
    Comparing the one child rule to the Holocaust is quite a stretch and is frankly disgusting..

- - - Updated - - -

I kinda like liberal democracies, so I'm not fond of policies that require a heavy dosis of authoritarianism. But if its too controversial, whats happening in Hobg Kong is another example of its shittines.
    Don't get me wrong, China itself has quite a lot of shitty things happening within it. The One-Child Law at it's core is not really that atrocious. The ways of enforcement are where things get sketchy.

Classic case of the ends justifying the means.
    Which really didn't.

Deleted
    No it is not.

Wrong. It's part of their culture from long before any policies. There's synergy between the two, but neither caused the other.
    You don't think possibly millions of abandoned to death babies is not a human rights issue?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    You don't think possibly millions of abandoned to death babies is not a human rights issue?
    It's a criminal issue, but not a human rights one. Do you know the difference? Murder is not a human rights issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    With regards to the bolded part, how did you come to that conclusion?
    Gender ratio for starters.

Deleted
    It's a criminal issue, but not a human rights one. Do you know the difference? Murder is not a human rights issue.
    Mass deaths occurring from a social policy is a human rights issue.

No it is not.

Well i am aware of that but the policy only enhanced it. What was supposed to be phased out by the time the communist movement came in ended up being revived because of that policy. Thats why i mentioned the rural side outside of that I do not know how city folks handled the situation. I can only imagine that those with enough money paying officials to not take their second child away.