Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    funny do you think the same of factory workers who push the same few buttons in sequence all day? also applies to the mythical coal miners.
    You mean the jobs shipped to China because the workers were over paid?

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    this, even mcdonalds hires at 10.50 by me where the minimum wage is 8.50
    Same. In Wisconsin McDonalds, Walmart and Walgreens all start you off at $10 an hour whereas places less popular start you at $7.25 (Or if you're younger than 18)

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    uh-huh and how much have prices fell because of a strong dollar? Oh wait they hasn't. Damn near paying 4 bucks for a pound of hamburger.
    There are plenty of examples of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Where did I say "for a family"?

I quite clearly said it was meant to be a livable wage.
    It also quite clearly states that in the section I bolded.
    No it says a minimum standard of living not a living wage. Two different concepts

Quote Originally Posted by Annamarine View Post
    You mean the jobs shipped to China because the workers were over paid?
    You honestly think that's because they were "overpaid" and not because the corporations saw a way to keep more money to themselves...?

No it says a minimum standard of living not a living wage. Two different concepts
    That IS what a living wage is. It's not two different concepts at all.

And...why do you think more people are going to want these lower paying jobs?
    Because having a job is better than not having a job.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm always amazed by people who use the "just get a degree" or "learn a skill" argument...

People in their late 20's and older working a minimum wage job get stuck there. It doesn't matter how they got there (poor decisions as a teen/young 20's, capabilities, bad luck, some personal disaster, life, family, health, etc). The fact is, that when you don't have anyone else helping you put clothes on your back, food in your stomach or a roof over your head odds are you simply won't have the time or money to break the cycle.

How do you expect anyone who's living on a minimum wage and already working 8-10 (or more) hours per day just to not get evicted to invest in themselves? I sure couldn't. Lowering the minimum wage is just a kick in the stomach of people already struggling to reach the end of the month. Minimum wage jobs are also typically jobs very few people hold for any significant period of time, as replacing 1 'unskilled' worker with another (usually when they are starting to build up rights) is extremely easy and common practice. With a 23% cut for these people, what's preventing employers from rotating out current employees in favor of a new workforce that's 23% cheaper?

I'm sure a few employers wouldn't screw over their employees like that, but I expect the majority would the first chance they get.

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    Because having a job is better than not having a job.
    Or...devil's advocate here, collecting welfare and not having a job would be better

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    uh-huh and how much have prices fell because of a strong dollar? Oh wait they hasn't. Damn near paying 4 bucks for a pound of hamburger.
    Price of wages decrease. Consumer income decreases. Quantity demanded decreases. Quantity supplied is greater than quantity demanded. Price of goods will decrease until supply = demand.

You honestly think that's because they were "overpaid" and not because the corporations saw a way to keep more money to themselves...?

That IS what a living wage is.
    I think every corporation was started by a person with ambition and an idea. New ones are created every day and grow to huge companies. How many of the large companies today are new in the last 10-20 years a lot of which were not created by rich people. All it takes is some ambition and a idea and anyone can do it. Rather than sitting there doing fuck all do something with your life. No adult should be stuck at minimum wage not a single one and if you are I have zero sympathy. Stop taking stupid arts degrees and degrees in gender studies. Learn a trade, plumbing, mechanic etc all pay well and done even require college

- - - Updated - - -

That IS what a living wage is.
    I think every corporation was started by a person with ambition and an idea. New ones are created every day and grow to huge companies. How many of the large companies today are new in the last 10-20 years a lot of which were not created by rich people. All it takes is some ambition and a idea and anyone can do it. Rather than sitting there doing fuck all do something with your life. No adult should be stuck at minimum wage not a single one and if you are I have zero sympathy. Stop taking stupid arts degrees and degrees in gender studies. Learn a trade, plumbing, mechanic etc all pay well and done even require college

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

They also started out with a crap ton of money. It's fiction to just start by ambition and an idea.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    They also started out with a crap ton of money. It's fiction to just start by ambition and an idea.
    Facebook

Google

Microsoft

Apple

Four companies started with nearly zero initial investment and all huge as fuck

Oh yes, I know of all those wildly successful new businesses that totally aren't being bullied out by stores like Walmart.

Wait, no, that's not quite how it works. An idea gets you nowhere. You need money to get anywhere with the idea.

Also, that has literally nothing to do with what I said at all, but is still also wrong.

Facebook

Google

Microsoft

Apple

Also with the exception of Facebook, managed to strike in a time that there was no better alternative. Facebook managed to beat out Myspace, but that's not saying much. Yet again, also with the exception of Bill Gates as I know, all started by college goers, which isn't exactly "zero initial investment".

Oh my, do these people ever wonder why California is doing much better than they are?

Quote Originally Posted by xeddin View Post
    If minimum wage increases, employment will fall. If minimum wage decreases employment will increase. Elasticity of employment = %change in quantity of labor (divided by) %change in wage.
    Learned some new words today pal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Facebook

Google

Microsoft

Apple

Yeah and average joe isn't going to do something like that so easy, not to mention said people probably had a lot mo money at the time in comparison to regular people now.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Or...devil's advocate here, collecting welfare and not having a job would be better
    You arent really playing devils advocate because thats the result of the minimum wage laws that you support.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It's a way to get inexperienced people into the job market. You're not supposed to stay at $7.70 forever, just for a year or so, until you have something to write on your resume.
    No its about keeping job salaries so low that business owners are the only ones making money.

funny how labor salaries are not going up but the cost of their products rise and rise often.

that is ok, don't worry instead of business owners and customers having to pay for a min wage increase....business owners and customers will have to continue to pay for medicaid, food stamps, and other welfare programs because these people are making 7 bucks an hour.

grats on solving nothing.

Oh yes, I know of all those wildly successful new businesses that totally aren't being bullied out by stores like Walmart.

Wait, no, that's not quite how it works. An idea gets you nowhere. You need money to get anywhere with the idea.

Also, that has literally nothing to do with what I said at all, but is still also wrong.
    No you think people are so retarded they need their hands held by mommy and daddy because they can't possibly go out and do it themselves

10+ Year Old Account
    So it the State Law was all ready at $7.70 and it was only St. Louis that passed a city law. Me myself I do think City's should Never be able to make Laws. If I go from one City to another it all should be the same laws in the state. You know that one thing legal in one city will be legal in another. Simple Easy to Enforce and same for every one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    Learned some new words today pal?
    It's a pretty basic formula