10+ Year Old Account

Replacing Mobo and GPU

Hey guys, my GPU died today so I need to replace it. At the same time I'd like to replace my Mobo as I first bought a micro-atx to save cash, and I regret it.

The most intensive game I play is probably Overwatch, and I'd like to play on at least high settings with a smooth fps above 40.

Here's what I've come up with:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($35.05 @ Vuugo)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-H270-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($158.00 @ Vuugo)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Total: $383.04
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-02 23:13 EDT-0400

I'm currently running:

CPU: i3-6100
    MOBO: Micro-ATX H110 board
    GPU: Radeon HD 7970
    RAM: DDR4-2133 x8G
    PSU: 500W 80+ Bronze

I went for the H270 as I have no desire to OC, but I want to be able to upgrade to Kaby Lake in the future and I can't really afford a CPU as well at the moment.

Will a 1050ti be as good as or better than an HD 7970?

I included a CPU cooler as I will need to remove my CPU/fan and reapply thermal paste anyways so I might as well just get an actual CPU cooler.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Taurous; 2017-07-03 at 03:34 AM.

What do you regret about the mATX board? Does it not have enough memory slots or expansion slots or something for something that you are looking to add? If not, especially with no desire to overclock, I doubt you gain much from that switch. I'd be inclined to just upgrade the GPU, and either put the extra money into a better GPU (maybe the 1060 instead of 1050 Ti would be a pretty decent bump), or bank the money and save it for a future rebuild. Unless you think you might be moving to an i7 Kaby Lake in the next 6 months or so, chances are there will be a new line of CPUs out on a new socket type by the time you would make that upgrade.

Yeah there's no reason I can see to "upgrade" your MoBo. You'll get... more RAM slots. Waste of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    What do you regret about the mATX board? Does it not have enough memory slots or expansion slots or something for something that you are looking to add? If not, especially with no desire to overclock, I doubt you gain much from that switch. I'd be inclined to just upgrade the GPU, and either put the extra money into a better GPU (maybe the 1060 instead of 1050 Ti would be a pretty decent bump), or bank the money and save it for a future rebuild. Unless you think you might be moving to an i7 Kaby Lake in the next 6 months or so, chances are there will be a new line of CPUs out on a new socket type by the time you would make that upgrade.
    Thanks for the input, honestly I only want a new mobo for aesethic reasons. Micro board in a full tower looks silly. Also I can't fit a wireless card in at all, so I'm using a dongle, and the M.2 slot would be cool. But let's just forget about the mobo.

Any ideas on where I can get a 1060 quickly? I'm missing this weeks raids for sure due to shipping, but I can't find any 1060s that are in stock.
    Last edited by Taurous; 2017-07-03 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post

Any ideas on where I can get a 1060 quickly? I'm missing this weeks raids for sure due to shipping, but I can't find any 1060s that are in stock.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...D=8092836&SID= seems to be in stock atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    He's Canadian.

Edit: using PcPartpicker, I can't find anything in stock either. You guys are REALLY getting squeezed up there. What part of CA are you in? Might be able to hop across the border and grab one from the US, depending on where you're located.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2017-07-04 at 01:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    He's Canadian.

Edit: using PcPartpicker, I can't find anything in stock either. You guys are REALLY getting squeezed up there. What part of CA are you in? Might be able to hop across the border and grab one from the US, depending on where you're located.
    North of Vancouver, definitely not too hard to get across the border, but it's costly, pay for a ferry and it's just far enough away that I'd have to find a hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    North of Vancouver, definitely not too hard to get across the border, but it's costly, pay for a ferry and it's just far enough away that I'd have to find a hotel.
    Yeah, that sucks.

If you were a bit closer, it would be viable. You might have to anyway, honestly. I cant find any CA retailer that has them in stock, other than perhaps in-store at a place like Best Buy (do they even operate in CA?) or the like.

This is about the best option I can find, but even then, the conversion rate isn't all that great (equivalent of ~$330 USD).

It's frankly an absolutely terrible time to be buying a new GPU; pretty much everything between the 1050 and 1080 Ti has inflated prices and terrible availability. Even Nvidia's own website is completely out of stock on 1060, 1070 and 1080s.

https://www.amazon.ca/EVGA-GeForce-S...words=gtx+1060

You frankly might be better off looking and seeing if you can find something like a second hand 980 or 980 Ti. The 980 is about the same speed as the 1060, and the 980 Ti is a fair chunk faster, and if you can get a 980 Ti for $400 CAD or less, or a 980 for $300 or less second hand, it's probably a better buy than the 1060/1070 at current pricing.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...-053-_-Product
    https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...-018-_-Product
    https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...-033-_-Product

Both of these show in stock. I think the 6 GB version for $50 more is the better buy for long term value.