Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    "This just in: Serge Ibaka has agreed to a three-year, $65 million contract to stay with the Raptors."

Woj

"Sources: Taj Gibson agrees to join Tom Thibodeau in Minnesota on two-year, $28 million deal."

Vertical

Looks like the Raptors are bringing everyone back. Going to be an expensive team the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    22 millions for Serge............I just dont get it.
    /wrists

Wtf is with those numbers for guys who are garbage? It's ridiculous.

I take back I said about me wanting the NBA to get good viewership ratings. I want the NBA to be unpopular so losers don't get paid.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Lowry returns to Raptors on a 3-year, 100M deal to stay with Raptors, getting the $30M-plus annual salary he wanted"

Woj

And so Lowry is returning too and Raptors are going to be dipping into luxury tax, likely only to get bounced by the Cavs again. They had a tough decision to make and I think the option to NOT sign everyone back would have likely been a bad one too (in fan backlash and dwindling support). This was basically a lose/lose situation for the Raptors.

I'll give them this though, Lowry only got a 3 year deal. At least they'll have options sooner if he declines hard.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sources: Tony Snell has agreed to 4-year, $46M deal -- $44M guaranteed -- to return to Milwaukee. That is okay a I guess. Going rate for two guards.
    Crazy considering we just gave him away to you guys for basically nothing (MCW = nothing).

10+ Year Old Account
    I watched Summer League basketball today and watched Jayson Tatum (#3 pick) and the Celtics play Markelle Fultz (#1 pick) and the 76'ers and it was some awful basketball at times, but on the whole pretty entertaining.

Game ended with Jayson Tatum shooting a long 2 to put the Celtics up 1 and Fultz getting blocked on his lay up in the final 5 seconds by Jaylen Brown (Jayson Tatum was involved in securing the ball after).

Ended with 21 points, 7 rebounds and 5 steals for Tatum and 17 points, 3 rebounds and 3 blocks for Fultz. Both players definitely looked like they will have a bright future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like KD took a substantial paycut but has re-signed with GSW. Not surprising, but it irks me that Curry is making so much more.

10+ Year Old Account
    After waiting for Andre Iguodala to resign with the Warriors on a $48m/3y deal, Durant has taken a pay cut to keep the core group together with a $53m/2y deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Looks like KD took a substantial paycut but has re-signed with GSW. Not surprising, but it irks me that Curry is making so much more.
    Keep in mind that some of Curry's current deal is a make-good on the ridiculous bargain that the Warriors had for his last 4 years.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    After waiting for Andre Iguodala to resign with the Warriors on a $48m/3y deal, Durant has taken a pay cut to keep the core group together with a $53m/2y deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind that some of Curry's current deal is a make-good on the ridiculous bargain that the Warriors had for his last 4 years.

So much for the Warriors going heavily into luxury tax. They still needed KD to take a team friendly deal for all of this to work.

But this is actually a REALLY savvy move by KD. He's taking a pay cut to keep the band together, which will undoubtedly make people more forgiving for the fact he took the easy way out last season.

On the other hand, maybe people will now bitch at him cause he's taking a below market deal and further jeopardizes league parity. Same reason people have been bitching about Tom Brady in years past.

Never can please some people.

It's not "REALLY" savvy by Kevin Durant to take less pay to have good teammates, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gordon Hayward has committed to sign with the Boston Celtics, sources told ESPN, choosing their offer over the Utah Jazz, his team since 2010, and the Miami Heat.
    Yeah, about that. News is being walked back in a hurry. Hayward's camp saying no decision has been made and they are still working through it.

It's likely that some one leaked the news before it was officially told to the teams and that Hayward's team is frantically walking back the news so they can officially inform the teams and that he still will indeed sign with the Celtics, but for now, it's definitely not official yet.

- - - Updated - - -

lmao this Hayward story, what a fiasco. Someone is likely getting fired over this, either in Haywards camp for the news leaking out or some Journalist for breaking news that wasn't actually news.

Hayward may not even make his news public today after this. His agent is talking about re-grouping. Still guessing they are trying to get back to what they had planned to do instead of this forced launch of the news when they weren;t ready.

10+ Year Old Account
    Either way, it fucking blows. There goes our all star.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the decision is true, I would definitely be upset if I were Hayward. Also, if the decision is true...the Jazz are going to be in a really bad spot this year. We'll need to find someone to work around offensively, and we didn't get that in Rubio.

I like the story where Carmello only wants to go to Cleveland or Houston

I dont want to try very hard I just want to have everybody else carry me. Im surprised he didnt list Golden State

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Either way, it fucking blows. There goes our all star.
    I'm not so sure. Apparently Hayward has changed his mind 4 times in the past 4 days. With the outpouring by all sides about this leaked decision, he might just change his mind again.

In other news, Miami Heat have waved Chris Bosch. Seems like it's the end of the road for him. Pat Riley apprently said that they are not going to issue the no. 1 again to players and that it will eventually be retired.

- - - Updated - - -

"Chris Bosh will be paid the $52.1M left on his contract in 120 twice-monthly installments of $434,393 – staring 11/15/17 and ending 11/1/22."

Good lord, they'll be paying for him till early 2022...

10+ Year Old Account
    The Mavs better resign Noel or I swear to god...

Also, Dirk is forever. There is no life without Dirk.

10+ Year Old Account
    RIP Jazz being good again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    RIP Jazz being good again.
    He took our girlfriend's and then just left us. /wrists

It's okay, Jazz were going to be non-contenders even with him. Try to draft better.

The Melo thing is LOL. I'd love to see him on a legit team. Obviously he can't be the main guy to win a championship, but as a big 3 he may even be more useful than Kevin Love.

10+ Year Old Account
    i don't know why i had my hopes up for hayward to sign with miami. would've been pretty sweet though.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would not shock me if the Celts made a run at Melo now.
    Pls, no.

We need to pay IT in a year. I'd prefer we shed the 1 or 2 contracts we need to have enough caps space for Heyward and then just keep this team together.

As to what this team can accomplish: We'll see. With Heyward we have a good wing, who's still young enough that he won't see decline during his contract. That's a 4 year window where a LOT is possible. And for the right now it means we have a legit scoring option next to IT, which was something the Celtics were in dire need of. They may not be good enough to challenge the Cavs or the GSW, but they are definitely a better team now then they were last year, while still having everything wide open for the future as well.

In short these Celtics are going to be an incredibly fun team to follow for the coming years. Lots of young, good players that will grow, while having a core that's also good enough to go deep in the playoffs (in the East at least). For me, as a more casual basketball fan, that's more fun to follow than a must-win team like the Cavs, that might blow up at any moment if Lebron decides to leave again.

It just sucks for the Jazz fans. They didn't deserve this, but I guess that's life in Major League sports right now; small markets are almost impossible to have sustained success in.

- - - Updated - - -

"RFA Otto Porter has reached agreement on a four-year, $106M max deal with Brooklyn Nets, league sources tell The Vertical."

Ouch. Wizards can match that, but they won't have any capspace left and the core of Wall/Beal/Porter was not enough last season so how is that going to work with even less money to spend on the bench? Lack of bench killed them last year and it's about to get worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is the thing, do they really need to pay IT in a year? Do you pay a guy who is going to be 29 and who is 5'9 and has had injuries a max contact?
    I'd say if he has another year like last year, give him what you can per year, but make it a deal like Lowry got with the Raptors, shorter, like 3 years.

5 year max deal is a sure way to ruin the team's long term success.

Given how Thomas wanted help for the team this year instead of bitching for a new contract with the year he had (all that money going to Hayward could have been used on extending Thomas) I think he'll be reasonable next year when it's his turn.